Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

Hoping to draw a UT LE elk tag and want to use my TC X7 omega.

I keep getting mixed info on whether a 1x scope (max allowed) will provide any advantage (accuracy at distance and 1st/last light capability) over the William's peep/fiber front sight I currently have on it.

I always have been a scope guy but what do you think?

Thx
Bill

GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SD allowed the non magnifying scopes and dot sights this past year season.

I have shot open, peep and scopes my whole life. I personally feel that a 1x scope is the way to go. The light gathering does help and something about being in the same focal plane really makes it easier to pick out branches, antlers, etc.

A friend put a dot sight on his Muzzeloader and the illuminated reticle made it really hard to see at dawn/dusk, even with it turned way down. While my Dad and I could see at those times and identify points on the antlers.

If you have the opportunity to actually check one out, do it. You will easily make up your mind if it is worth it or not.

Last edited by CRS; 02/17/13.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use a 1 power Burris scope on my .458 Winchester magnum. The eye relief is runs between 4-12 inches, so it's a snap. Windage and elevation adjustment amounts are at least twice that of any other scope, and it's tough. It is still brighter than open sights.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was a resident in Utah for many years and used a 1X scope on my muzzleloaders quite successfully. Putting the crosshairs on a long distance deer was much easier for me than tying to shoot with the current crop of open sights available on most muzzleloaders. The width of most front sights looks wider than a deer body length at 300 yards, making precision shots more difficult. Using a good peep sight with a fine front sight was better, but still a distant 2nd to putting a crosshair on the target for those long shots.

I use a fine duplex reticle (not many reticle options on the 1X scope in the old days)and found that using a 5gal bucket to simulate the depth of a deer's chest was a great target to get used to using the point of the duplex and the cross line as a great distance reference. I found that using the bottom point of the duplex as a hold point at the top of the bucket at 300 yards it would hit the bottom of the bucket about 2" from the bottom edge. This reference came in handy when my "best to that date" buck "bracketed" perfectly telling me it was 300 yrds out. I held about 10" over the back with the point of the duplex and drilled the buck with a perfect double lung shot.

Today, I use a lazer range finder, and I'm sure there might even be a multi dot reticle for better drop compensating than my old method. I did a lot of shooting at that range with my fast twist 45cal muzzle loader and amazed most people at the range with my 300 yard water jugs practicing.

Good luck on your hunt. I might can find an extra 1X scope kicking around here if you can't find one. Just PM me if you need one.

Scott

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use a sightron on mine. I've helped on a few muzz hunts over the years..please use a good bullet.

I like a heavy WFN like no excuse bullets or barnes TMZ. Me sayin this will start a bullet debate no doubt, but i've seen too many bulls walk off with powerbelts and hornadys. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it..

IC B2

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you for the replies so far.

On the bullets- I've killed a fair number of things with barnes 300gr TEZ over 110-115 gr of BH 209. This included a nice NM 6x6 at 210 yards...he just tipped over.

What say you on a 1X scope making a target look farther away than looking thru a peep? The problem I've having is no one has them in stock at local stores and I'm trying to be really sure before ordering 1 or 2 to decide what I like.

I am leaning towards a scope but want to make the best call on this.

Scott-Thank you for the offer on the scope, what do you have that you might want to part with?

Thx
Bill

Last edited by Bill_in_MI; 02/18/13.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by albertan
I use a 1 power Burris scope on my .458 Winchester magnum. The eye relief is runs between 4-12 inches, so it's a snap. Windage and elevation adjustment amounts are at least twice that of any other scope, and it's tough. It is still brighter than open sights.

Great thread here! Learning alot from others' experience.

I haven't used a 1X optic on a rifle yet, but might on my M10/22 and Marlin Papoose!

I apreciate the comments about having 1X crosshairs versus peep/fiber optics.

Even with the slightly larger 3/32" diameter FO front posts from Marble's or William's, methinks a fast crosshair is much more advantageous, esp for facing dangerous game in front of a .458 Winnie!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sorry if my phrase "a distant 2nd" confused you. A 1 X scope does not make the look farther than a peep sight. 1 X has no magnification...just puts a nice crosshair on the target vs looking thru a front sight when aiming on long shots.

I regularly shoot my muzzleloader at 300 yards with my 1X scope. I shoot my 1X scope much better at those distances than with open sights or peep sights.

Nikon makes a 1 X 20, as does sightron, and weaver. Cabelas offered one in their alaskan guide series a while back, as did swift.

I have a sightron and a swift available for purchase, or you can just borrow one if you draw the tag. Let me know. (what unit did you apply for???) PM me if you would like I have 18 Utah elk points and decided to cash them in this year.... :-)

Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,537 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.