24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fred Bear killed an elephant with a bow and arrow, probably not the smartest thing to try and certainly not what I would choose to use, if I wanted to kill an elephant.

There is no answer to your question, it all depends on what you are willing to put up with. Quick sure kills or the possibility of wounding an animal and it crawling off to die.

The possibility of making a bad shot is always there, but the probability can be eliminated, to a certain degree.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've killed deer as well as coyotes with a 22 magnum, but both require a shot to the brain for sure kills. A rimfire is the only thing legal in my state for night hunting coyotes. The deer were killed under a crop damage permit. I wouldn't rate the 22 WMR as ideal for either though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If hunting coyotes size animals i would keep my shots 50 yards and under and you should have no problem putting down with the 22 WMR

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've posted this question over on a couple of the survival boards and had a lot of private answers from people who either have shot deer legally or come from poaching families.

The .22 Magnum is probably the favorite poaching round. It is reliable, relatively quiet and both the guns and rounds are inexpensive compared to a centerfire.

Almost all recommended shots be kept under 75 yards where precise placement could be made. One guy who regularly uses the .22 Magnum for deer said if heart or lung shot are made the deer basically acts just like bow shot deer he has killed. If they don't drop on the spot they don't run far.

Some only took head or neck shots.

The round of choice almost to a shooter was the Winchester 40 grain HP. It is an actual jacketed HP not a plated one. They don't blow up but expand and penetrate very well. No one used the new generation hyper velocity stuff.

When I lived out west I met several ranch hands who used nothing but .22 Magnum for daily use both in handgun and rifle. I saw one ranch hand drop a average size Texas doe...heart shot, ran 25 yards and dropped. Have seen deer hit with 06s and .270s run a lot further. But again it is shot placement and not taking chancy shots that will make this work.

I have several .22 Magnums but probably won't ever use one for deer hunting. If I did I'd limit the range to the same as a open sighted handgun which is about 75 yards...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by grayfox
Getting cz 22 mag soon ,will it work on coyotes? small deer? or is that pushing it, should i stick to groundhogs

Was talking to an eskimo friend of mine that has killed a polar bear with one, but it took 13 rounds. Since November he has killed nine caribou, all one shot kills, neck shots right where it meets the skull. They routinely use a 223 to take polar bear and grizzlies, they consider a 243 a "big gun".

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what is upper limit of game can you take with a 22magnum

I know a guy that killed a leopard with one......so I think the question is asked wrong.....instead of "can" take the question should read "should"

And to that I'd say turkey (where legal) and animals up to 50 pounds.

It's a very fine round but it's not a superstar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
I've posted this question over on a couple of the survival boards and had a lot of private answers from people who either have shot deer legally or come from poaching families.

The .22 Magnum is probably the favorite poaching round. It is reliable, relatively quiet and both the guns and rounds are inexpensive compared to a centerfire.

Almost all recommended shots be kept under 75 yards where precise placement could be made. One guy who regularly uses the .22 Magnum for deer said if heart or lung shot are made the deer basically acts just like bow shot deer he has killed. If they don't drop on the spot they don't run far.

Some only took head or neck shots.

The round of choice almost to a shooter was the Winchester 40 grain HP. It is an actual jacketed HP not a plated one. They don't blow up but expand and penetrate very well. No one used the new generation hyper velocity stuff.

When I lived out west I met several ranch hands who used nothing but .22 Magnum for daily use both in handgun and rifle. I saw one ranch hand drop a average size Texas doe...heart shot, ran 25 yards and dropped. Have seen deer hit with 06s and .270s run a lot further. But again it is shot placement and not taking chancy shots that will make this work.

I have several .22 Magnums but probably won't ever use one for deer hunting. If I did I'd limit the range to the same as a open sighted handgun which is about 75 yards...

Bob

Glad to see this. I have been experimenting with a few different .22mag rounds. I do like the CCI game point, but ordered 500 rounds of the Winchester because I heard how accurate and effective they are. Good response BTW.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I know an old guy who has taken a pile of gobblers with his old Savage bolt action .22 Mag, he told me in all the years of using this rifle he has only lost one turkey...................Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haved owned a couple of the marlin bolt 22mags. Although a very capable rifle/cartridge for small game, I found it too much for squirrel and not enough for varmints at ranges exceeding 100 yards. I traded my Marlin even for a Rem 788 in 222 and with reloading, found I could shoot for about the same dollars.

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In NH it is lileagle to shoot deer with any thing but centerfier and when I used to hunt NY nothing under .24 caliber

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Griz

But you might have to shoot some of them from inside of 'em.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The 22 Mag makes a great truck gun... I've dispatched probably 10 deer or so in the 30 years I have owned my Marlin 25MN.. all have been head shots, and have been taking down deer that have been hit by cars out in rural areas...

between the eyes or in the ear...

for hunting, coyote would be the most I'd take with it..

then once again, I shot them as targets of opportunity and could really care less if they die right there or run away wounded to die elsewhere... could care less about the little fawn killers..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was all I had for a coyote gun at one time, and it worked fine. The 125 yard advice is good.

If it were my "survival rifle" I would hunt deer at 100 yards with it and be confident. But I would choose my shots carefully - straight through the boiler room - no quartering shots.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You should give some consideration to the 50gr 22mag rounds. The should provide more penetration than lighter rounds.

[Linked Image from ]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
100s of hogs have been killed with the 22MAG.
A shot in the ear and they are DRT.
A lot of farmers in Fla. and Ga.use the 22 Mag for their truck gun.

Coach

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not sure a .22 Mag would stop a truck.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by nhFrank
In NH it is lileagle to shoot deer with any thing but centerfier and when I used to hunt NY nothing under .24 caliber

I hunt in Maine and Pa. mostly. In Maine it is legal for deer...can't remember about Pa. but I don't think so.

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'm not sure a .22 Mag would stop a truck.

[Linked Image]

..the "disturbed" Mr. Short replies again.... crazy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's Mr. CB Short. If I had a ladder I'd tell you that eye to eye.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Solids are great on squirrel, Winchester 40gr Hollow Point will about cut them in half. Other critters I personally know of that fell to the Win HP are:

Muskrat de-headed. Just some scraps of skin and a little jaw hanging off the shoulders.

Turkey gobbler. Shot head on just right of the crop and exited the left thigh 50c size hole.

Knothead buck. Shot between the eyes. Could hold each ear and wiggle the two pieces of skull around.

Spike buck. Eye got dotted. HP bullet was against the back of the skull size of a dime.

Big doe. Shot in neck under the spine, ran into briar thicket and thrashed around a bit till she bled out.

This is a small list. I'm sure there are folks that could write a book.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.