Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
As probably everyone knows I am a .41..Freak, Addict, Cult member...use whatever kinda slur you want...I represent that remark...

One of the guns I have always wanted but was never made was a .41 Colt SAA...as in Magnum or Special not the old Long Colt that was really a .401...but nothing was ever made.

A few years ago there was a spark of hope... While visiting US Firearms having a Flat Top Target tuned I was shown a prototype of their new Shooting Master. Basically a SAA with a slightly heavier 7.5" barrel, bead front sight and a rear sight adapted from the early Colt 1911 ACE .22 target gun. The gun was to be offered in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .41 Short Mag. .41 Short Mag was really nothing more than a .41 Special. When I asked "why" since the gun could handle .44 Magnums wasn't it just going to chambered in .41 Magnum...the reason.. Some big name Cowboy Action Shooters wanted something unique and that is what they had lobbied for... So I asked if a standard Flat Top Target could then be ordered in .41 Special and was told it could be...once they had some .41 barrel blanks in house. And for that matter they would make it in .41 Magnum if I so wished.

So every few months I would call but no blanks came in...then the Shooting Master disappeared and then so did all the SAAs...so that dream went up in smoke without a shot being fired...

Fast forward to Sunday... Out with friends we stopped in a few shops I only get over to once or twice a year. In the second shop there was...a .357 Shooting Master LNIB.... And so the plan was hatched.

Was able to get the gun for a very reasonable price considering the only ones I have ever seen have all sold between $1200-1500.00 and that was when USFA was still in the SAA business. After some thought an email was sent to Dave Clements of Clements Custom Guns asking the possibility of have it converted...and the very quick reply..."yes it can be done".

And at the same time I was also emailing with a friend in Az. who just happened to be emailing with someone who had worked at USFA. From him I was able to get an extra .357 cylinder...

So now the plan is to ship the gun and extra cylinder to Mr. Clements, have the barrel and original cylinder saved and the new cylinder fitted, timed and rechambered. The new barrel will be 5.5" long to match the Flat Top Target .22 and Clements Keith Long Range front sight installed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...so that is the plan...hopefully it will be back by Thanksgiving to take hunting.... I had thought about having a .41 barrel made to match the factory as Dave said he could take the front sight blade and mount it on the new barrel. But after putting the gun in a Bianchi 1L found that 7.5" guns are for shootin' not carrying... I have several nice holsters that will fit the 5.5" barrel so that is the way I am going..

.41..it is a disease...as CF Members Ron and Dave have found out...don't stand to close to Bob or you will catch it too...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob,

What a fantastic revolver that's going to be. The .41 Magnum is such a magnificent round. The more and more I look at the .41 Magnum, the less and less I like the .44 Mag. The .41 Magnum just makes more sense on most every level. You truly are a man after my own heart; .38 Supers and .41's...I'll bet you drink good beer too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That, is drop dead gorgeous.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by P_Weed

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That, is drop dead gorgeous.

the enabler/pimp strikes again to make me feel inadequate.
that will be a nice pistol.
I spent part of the rainy day reading old 41 articles from years ago out of handloader. And then i see this.
He is trying to get me fishhooked on commanders too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
He is trying to get me fishhooked on commanders too.
.38 Super Commanders at that...he's an expensive friend to have.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spectacular revolver there! We are ALL going to want to see this when all done up. Just.... wow

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Bob,

What a fantastic revolver that's going to be. The .41 Magnum is such a magnificent round. The more and more I look at the .41 Magnum, the less and less I like the .44 Mag. The .41 Magnum just makes more sense on most every level. You truly are a man after my own heart; .38 Supers and .41's...I'll bet you drink good beer too.

...Kevin...being a .38 Super fan you are already 1/2 way there...

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41magnum.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/04/07/ammunition_ready_for_the_41_special_040711/

I've about decided that I am going to have the gun chambered for .41 Special and have the barrel marked .41 Short Mag as that was the way the factory was going to mark it. It would also be basically .41 Special +P in that it would show that the gun was rated for more than just 1000 fps loads.

Bob

ps..and yes..there is no BudLite in my house.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Very, very nice!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OMG! When I read the Subject " well I went and did it" I thought OH HELL, NOT YOU TOO? But I was glad to find out we don't have another wife on the war path..I'm a .41 Mag fan too. I have a Ruger blackhawk in that cal. I bought from a guy 25 years ago for 100 bucks. It's a great hog pistol. I need to blow the dust off that one and take it to the range.
Nice gun!

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That should make a wicked fine hunting gun Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a HUGE .41 Mag fan and probably the only person still to this day to qualify for their TN handgun carry permit with a model 57 grin

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
..you SAA guys... I need a better set of stocks for this... Smooth..maybe ivory Micarta...but thicker than regular SAA grips...any ideas....

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Considering the gun, you might want to think about Ivory - Ivory. That's going to be an heirloom gun when it's finished, might as well go buck wild.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
..yes but it is going to be a shooter and not sure I want to chance several hundred dollars of ivory to recoil... The TruIvory grips on the Flat Top Target are just as pretty as the real deal...

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
...fit to not only the frame but the hand...

http://chiselandplaneworkshop.com/r...gallery_a301e3d6f25e36c981bdb3fd85856d20

I like the design of the Munden Recoil Control grips in ivory Mircarta or ebony..

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have an old set of Buffalo horn grips some where in my barn. Not sure how Black grips on a blued gun would look. I looked sharp on my SS Ruger.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
...now I don't know...what barrel length do I get... 4.75 or 5.5.....

I have two 5.5s...a Garry Reeder Custom .41 Mag and a USFA Flat Top Target .22/.22 Mag. But I have several Rugers with the 4 5/8" barrel and they just look "right" with the barrel ending at the end of the ejector rod.

Have been looking at Clements website and he has 5.5" and 4.75" guns sitting right next to each other with the same front sight and I am beginning to lean toward the 4.75"...

Help....

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a 4.75" kinda guy myself. Basically there aren't many shots I'd take with a 5.5 or 7.5 that I wouldn't take with the 4.75" gun. They pack nicer, and like you said, they just have that look about them. Man, I love the sights on that gun, that just looks so classy.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
..also..the above pic of the rear sight... Apparently the previous owner took a black Sharpie to it. Cleaned it off and now it is nice brass again.

...so do we do this barrel like this....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

or this...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.