Print Thread
Hop To
#3507375 11/23/09
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I had the oportunity to hold one today and the price was just under six grand! I had a chance to see how the elevater worked and the dust cover moved back and all,but didn't like how the firing pin was set up at all!

The wood was a special grade and fit to finnish was great(but just couldn't get out of my mind how the fireing pin was exactly eye level) I know some of my bolt guns are near that level but it unnerved me enough to not trade for it!

And I allways thought I wanted one,but I'll stick with the 86,92,94 and 95 for now!

It was a very nice rifle and in 44-40 also.

Bob

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bobbyjack
I had the oportunity to hold one today and the price was just under six grand! I had a chance to see how the elevater worked and the dust cover moved back and all,but didn't like how the firing pin was set up at all!

The wood was a special grade and fit to finnish was great(but just couldn't get out of my mind how the fireing pin was exactly eye level) I know some of my bolt guns are near that level but it unnerved me enough to not trade for it!

And I allways thought I wanted one,but I'll stick with the 86,92,94 and 95 for now!

It was a very nice rifle and in 44-40 also.

Bob

They are indeed a neat gun..."the gun that won the west". I have been fortunate to have owned five of them, a .44, two 38's and two .32's. The .44 was a 2nd model, produced in 1883, IIRC. Wish greatly I still had it.

I have shot them. I don't really understand your concern. Within their limitations, black powder is all I would shoot an original with, especially the older versions, they are fine. I would not buy one for a shooter anyway. If I wanted the experience to any great extent, I'd get a newly-manufactured replica. They are much better guns and prettier than any original. An original with any condition whatsoever is so scarce that it shouldn't be fired save for the most minute amount for the experience.

None of them, original or replica, should ever be fired with loads that are tailored for an 1892 or the like.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well Cole I was concerned about how the firing pin set in a kind of sleave right up on the bolt! Guess thats how they made them.

I liked it very much and it had special wood on it,I like my firing pins IN the bolt.

I liked it very much ,just not enough to trade off 1/3 of my guns to own it! Damn it was so fine. I had been better off to have not held it.

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess when I said "I don't really understand your concern" I didn't state what I was thinking very accurately. Actually I understood what you were saying, it was just my poor way of relating that they've been around a long time. They are definitely a weak design compared to a '92 or Marlin '94, but they are very cool.

I once held and tried to trade for a new Winchester model 1873. I don't know when it was made, but they are all old. It still had the cosmoline in the barrel. It was the military musket configuration. I wish I had it now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think, if the 73 had had an issue related to the firing pin placement, it would have become a matter of record. They continued to be manufactured into the 1930s.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
73s are quite cool,
I am tempted to buy one, but I probably will end up with a 92.
The 92 is a much better design , and in 38 or 44 WCF make a decent deer gun out to about 50 yards.
If I got a 73 that was steel frame as opossed to iron,( I think the cuttoff point is around s#50000 I would shoot it a little.
I might even drag one up a tree and try and shoot a deer with it.
It is a gun after all, factory loads ar kept at 14000 cup just for the 73s and the single action colts.
The thing would need to be in prety good shape though.
And as i said before, for my purpose a 92 is a bunch better...tj3006

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
New or old 73's are a blast to shoot.

[Linked Image]

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bobbyjack, I think about what you are saying every time I pull the trigger on mine. But I keep my load pressure where it ought to be and thats the key. Tried to kill a whitetail with it this last season but they would'nt cooperate.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A little off subject, but I saw an 1873 in 32/20 for sale the other day for a reasonable price. The main problem with it I saw was that the back of the bolt stayed back when the front of the bolt was levered forward. I know very little about the 1873 and wonder whether fixing this situation would be a major undertaking.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Anyone see one of the new ones from Winchester?
I have a friend who has wanted one. These retail for about the same as the Italian copies AND you can say you have a Winchester. Getting one of these new manufacture ones is my recommendation to him.
Thanks,
Lou M

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
IC B3

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, you can say you have a Japanese copy of a Winchester that says "Winchester". Winchester doesn't make their lever action rifles here anymore.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 21
Well, you can say you have a Japanese copy of a Winchester that says "Winchester". Winchester doesn't make their lever action rifles here anymore.

You got that right! Real Winchesters are (were) made in New Haven, CT

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think I would pass on the new Winchester. In fact, I think I would pass on all the new Winchesters, every one of them seems to have some lawyered up safety deal of one kind or another.

Last edited by 21; 07/08/13.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
560 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.