Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
What is Big Green's quality control like these days? I am thinking about a 30-06. My thought is Savage can't be beat as far as accuracy and customer service goes, but I always have liked the 700. The classic lines can't be beat. Maybe Remington fans can tell me what is going on there. Since Marlin moved up to the Remington factory, I haven't heard anything good. But I know the 700 has always been a good rifle. What do you think?

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
BP-B6

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buy a Browning XBolt.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Look though the blue print thread... 700 seem to be the majority, and 700 clones also. I have always been a 700 fan, although never owned a savage, I think the proof is in the pudding. Too many 700 around here.

+1 for remington here!

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It comes down to what you like. If you pick up a savage and cycle the action and you know point it around like a 6 year old playing duck hunter and don't hate it you'll prob be happy with it. Like you mentioned it won't be lacking in the accuracy dept. I just don't really like the "feel" of a savage. I love my remingtons but wouldn't put them against savages for accuracy out of the box.
Anyway another +1 for Remington

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Remington or who? ?

Not joking.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Remington quality might be dropping but it's still not at the Savage level. Savage build a fine gun but it has no refinments and it pretty mucha tool.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you just want a rifle to put in the back of the closet to take out and kill something a couple of times a year, get a Savage. If you want a rifle that you're not ashamed to be seen with, get a Remington.
And from what I've experienced at various factory matches, that myth about Savage accuracy is pretty much that, a myth.

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Maybe try a TC venture......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Remington guy.

If your patient, get a beautiful used 700 from 60's or 70's for even less money. Just got a 30-06 from 1966 for $300. Waaayyyyyy smoother than any Remington today.

In contrast, i've been wheelin and dealin' to get a SS MR in 7-08 from my brother. Different strokes.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by predmaster223; 02/24/13.
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's an early '80's Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. It's been pillared, glassed and floated. Trigger has been set at 3.5 lbs and I've replaced the aluminum bottom metal with steel. I mounted a Leupold scope in Talley rings. It's a great shooter and looks pretty good, too. I wouldn't do that to a Savage.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 02/25/13.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have not seen the drop off in QC that many say they have seen with new Remington 700's, this question is a no-brainer for me I'd take a new Model 700 anyday over a Savage.....Good luck...............Hb

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
700 are nice and the 30_06 I own is a great shooter. However I now own two savages and they both perform just as well and they both look good. They both have there ups, there would probably be strong arguments for both. I do remember when I bought a savage in the past that I had heard they had a bad rep, but when I picked it up and most importantly when I shot my first one I was very happy and wouldn't trade it for anything. Then again when I bought the 700 it felt good and shot great too smile so I wouldn't trade it for anything either. Long story short I don't think you will have issues either way. Plus there are lots of aftermarket parts and upgrades for both. Good luck.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1, I have 4 new Remington rifles, all picked up in the last two months..... I see no quality control issues with them.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's an early '80's 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. It's been pillared, glassed and floated. Trigger has been set at 3.5 lbs and I've replaced the aluminum bottom metal with steel. I mounted a Leupold scope in Talley rings. It's a great shooter and looks pretty good, too. I wouldn't do that to a Savage.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That is a great looking rifle! I know the 700 action is the base for the old military sniper rifle as well as many benchrest and target rifles. Thanks for that photo.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Oh goody. A Remington vs Savage debate.....just like old times.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Remington 700 hands down.

A better comparison would be the garbage Rem 710.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new Remingtons look and shoot great to me. I wouldn't own a Savage.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Obviously you fellers haven't handled a Savage American Classic lately, Savage, no contest, ain't even close.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If Savage was my only option in hunting rifles, I would stop hunting with rifles.

Buy a Remington and be merry.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by E Blair
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's an early '80's 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. It's been pillared, glassed and floated. Trigger has been set at 3.5 lbs and I've replaced the aluminum bottom metal with steel. I mounted a Leupold scope in Talley rings. It's a great shooter and looks pretty good, too. I wouldn't do that to a Savage.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That is a great looking rifle! I know the 700 action is the base for the old military sniper rifle as well as many benchrest and target rifles. Thanks for that photo.

My Dad is an ex USMC Scout Sniper, he once told me that one of the armorers told him that they use 700s 'cause the government is too cheap to buy 'em model 70s.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 02/25/13.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
That does sound like a decision the government would make. lol good times.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

My Dad is an ex USMC Scout Sniper, he once told me that one of the armorers told him that they use 700s 'cause the government is too cheap to buy 'em model 70s.

That's all fine and dandy, except for the fact that Marines used Winchester Model 70s for sniper rifles.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Easy choice, Get the new Remington with the barrel nut!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Ha ha ha that's some funny chit right there.... laugh..Probably true too... wink.....Should have seen the guy shooting my 9.3x62mm yesterday...He was ready to turn his nose up to his remingtons...I knew you of all people would understand grin...Just something about shooting that 1 1/4" group (5 shot) from the sitting position that won him over whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I love the Chevy vs. ford question

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends. If I wanted an "out of the boxer" shooter that was a good value for my money, it's Savage. If I wanted a gun I might customize down the road, it's Remington. Both answers to me are "no brainers". These days you have to spend a lot of money to get a really good Remington. They are not the "value" they use to be. Not even close. I have only ever purchased these two brands of guns and the Savages won't win a beauty contest but they ALL shoot. My last Remington cost $1150 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. To make matter worse, Remington C/S didn't care. It was the last Remington I will ever buy. Having said that though, I recently bought a Savage and it is crazy accurate AND I have just built two custom rifles, both Remington clones.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would take a Savage American Classic over any Remington.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The new Remingtons look and shoot great to me. I wouldn't own a Savage.

Did the Old Remingtons look like crap and shoot like chitt?

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a general rule, I'd rather play the Remington lottery than buy a Savage. Two exceptions: 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter, and the HS Precision model .338 Lapua Savages. Probably the Savage might shoot better, but I can't get past the looks.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by KDK
As a general rule, I'd rather play the Remington lottery than buy a Savage. Two exceptions: 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter, and the HS Precision model .338 Lapua Savages. Probably the Savage might shoot better, but I can't get past the looks.
Aw heck, whats wrong with a barrel nut? other than it looks like something My neighbor put together in his shed or My boy made in 9th grade shop class...Lol.................Hb

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, it's not even the barrel nut. The back of the receiver is cut too square for my tastes.

But the nut sure don't help any...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard for anyone to say this Savage is ugly.

[Linked Image]

I hate me the barrel nut and the little lever in the Accutrigger but I've spent more time and money customizing Savage actions than any other.
My present Savage build is going to rival any SS/synthetic factory based custom I've seen. Nutless of course and light weight.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you were able to get your hands on stainless LH 700's, would you still have bought the Savage?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam

[Linked Image]

I hate me the barrel nut and the little lever in the Accutrigger but I've spent more time and money customizing Savage actions than any other.
My present Savage build is going to rival any SS/synthetic factory based custom I've seen. Nutless of course and light weight.

That's a beauty K...All except for that accutrigger thingamagigy sick

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

[Linked Image]

Where did you get that stock nsaqam? It's beautifully proportioned to your Savage!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Savage or Tikka.........or Sako

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sorry if I left the impression that this was my Savage. It's not. I just stole the picture from Google Images.
It is however a picture of what is purportedly a stock, factory Savage 14 American Classic.
Savages, at least some of them, can be very good looking rifles.

Except for that Accutrigger thingamajiggy!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
If you were able to get your hands on stainless LH 700's, would you still have bought the Savage?

Maybe and maybe not. If I could get a SS 700 donor for the same price as a SS Savage donor I may just go the 700 route.

There are however things about the Savage design which I prefer over the 700 design.
Gas handling is one, with the 110 being unparalleled in that regard. I also prefer the three position tang mounted safety on the 110 to all others. The easy and cheap boltface changes on the 110 are also to be commended.
Last but not least is the affinity I feel towards Nick Brewer and Savage for thinking about us lefties since the inception of the design.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm sorry if I left the impression that this was my Savage. It's not. I just stole the picture from Google Images.
It is however a picture of what is purportedly a stock, factory Savage 14 American Classic.

For once we agree on something grin..However, I was hoping that was your rifle so you'd quit giving me a hard time about owning right handed rifles laugh blush

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just get a Savage if you want it to shoot & shoot right out of the box w/out having to repair it in the 1st place. Find an older remmy 70s-80s 700 and you will be ok also.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK...just to muddy the waters a bit...I DO have one customized Savage. It's a 7mm Mag stainless, restocked, glass-bedded, etc. It has a Bushnell 3200 mounted in DNZ rings. Not bad...my "foul weather" rifle. That's a 5-shot group, with factory 154 grainers.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 02/25/13.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Those American classic stocks are very nice, I've been thinking about snagging one of them and an old $200 savage beater for a future project...I'm thinking 8mm...either 8x57 or 8mm Gibbs(I already load for one 8mm Gibbs so I have the dies and a few good loads worked up....)

Don't tell my wife, she panics at the though of me planning to spend money... grin

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

For once we agree on something grin..However, I was hoping that was your rifle so you'd quit giving me a hard time about owning right handed rifles laugh blush

You can quit hoping L because you can rest assured that I won't spend a penny on a RH bolt gun for my own use.
That's just not how I roll brother. smile

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have had both and much prefer the Remington.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I like Savage for what they are erector sets that shoot well, that allow me to try unique and uncommon cartridges. If money and gunsmithing fees weren't an option I'd probably run a M700 clone since there are more and better options for stocks. For strictly off the shelf hunting rifles I'd rather have a Winchester or commercial Mauser.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I will agree that is a beautiful stock, but I think it was a nice piece of wood wasted on the rest of the rifle with the Accutrigger, barrel nut and horrid looking bolt shroud(bolt handle with a bolt through it) but hey it might be like a Tikka T3 and shoot like a house afire!! that would be a big plus................Hb

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've owned good and bad examples of both Savage and Remington. To me the Remington is a more refined rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I'm going to buy either a Remington or a Savage 110 new it's going to be to shoot it, not to drool over it. Savage every time, don't have to dink with anything to make it shoot. And if I do want it to look nice, the model 14's are perfectly nice.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have a couple of the stevens 200's and like both of them a lot. Have had other 110 rifles in the past and always had good service from them, but if I was to sell em all off but one, I would keep my older 700 mtn rifle w/o a doubt. My 700's have always been solid performers and I must have had 10 or 15 over the years. As a matter of fact I am sort of thinking about doing just that. At my age I am having a hard time coming up with scenarios that I would be much interested in that my 700 in .270 and a 22 rimfire wouldn't handle. Besides even if I do try and sell some off I'm sure I'd keep a few more just because they are worth more to me than they'll bring.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
One factor being ignored is the date of manufacture. I found a Remington 700 in 270 win made in the 80s. Great gun gives groups under 1" with all ammo I have tried. Looked at some of the new stuff from Remy and quality on low end rifles is not close to the 80s or 90s workmanship. Now if you go to the higher priced line with Remington, I must say it looks like very good quality work.
My lower end Savages will out shoot most current production Remingtons in the lower price ranges. I do not get the "pride of ownership" in NEW lower end Remingtons. The 80s Remington 700 surpasses the Savage 110 in handling and accuracy. Comparing new vs new I would take Savage. Older vs older my choice would be Remington. One thing to consider is that you can be sure of what you get with Savage-accuracy and dependabilty. When comparing guns I think the period of manufacture is important.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
haters gonna hate ...

I have savages and remmys. the savages outnumber the remingtons. I do love the remingtons, but I think the reason I've got too many savages is that they make them in unique calibers/configurations. where else are you going to get a .250-3000 sav, or a .22 hornet, or a 6.5 CM or 6mmBR in a factory rifle?

as far as accuracy is concerned, both the Rems and the Savs shoot for me. I will say that I'll take the accu-trigger any day over the "x-mark pro".

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Something no one has mentioned:

Should you buy choose one or the other, should it have a problem: Support from the manufacturer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 Rem 700's. .280,30-06,7mm mag. All good shooters, and I will nerver get rid of the 280.......But on Thursday, I am picking up the Savage 10 Predator Hunter in 6.5Creedmoor. I will let you know my opinion at a later date. Years ago, I did have a Savage 17 hvy barrel, it was a tack driver but the action was very crappy. My dad passed away and he had a Ruger 77/17 so for sentimental purposes I kept that one, I can't get that thing to shoot a good group.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

I have savages and remmys. the savages outnumber the remingtons. I do love the remingtons, but I think the reason I've got too many savages is that they make them in unique calibers/configurations. where else are you going to get a .250-3000 sav, or a .22 hornet, or a 6.5 CM or 6mmBR in a factory rifle?

Yep, that's what interests me about Savage rifles.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 700 ADL .270 bought new in 2002 that is a tack driver. I have a Savage .243 with Accustock and Accutrigger bought new a year ago and it is a tack driver. If buying new today I would buy a Savage. If buying old I would buy a Remington.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both rifles and like different qualitys about both...The Remingtons are pretty much bomb proof and very accurate right out of the box, but heavy. The Savages ok shooters,like the triggers and very light weight. Considering the Savage 7.08 if I ever draw my Bighorn tag.

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I really blew it, not buying an older Rem 700 in 30-06 a couple months ago. Savage does not seem to be the bargain any more, unless you go for the Stevens or Axis/Edge models. The standard Savage bolt gun probably goes for as much as the Rem 700 SPS. I have a Savage slug gun as well as an old 99 in .300 Savage. Really, I am a little disappointed that Savage never carried through on the plan to bring back the 99, even though that was probably just a pipe dream. I just like the design of the 700 over the Savage and know that 700s are good rifles.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am a little concerned about the quality of the newer 700s. This includes the barrels on the recent guns. It's not really a problem, though, because there's so many good, used 700s out there (even lefties) from the 70's and early 80's to buy. My older 700s with factory barrels shoot superbly.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have a Rem 700 BDL .280 made in the early 90's, and then a Rem 700 ADL/SPS .300 WM I bought last year. The .280 is a lot smoother than the newer ADL (yes, I know ADB vs. BDL), and I have had feeding problems with the ADL/SPS. I also have older Savage 116 .30-06, I have dealt with customer service of both, and Remington was easier to work with, but for a new rifle today, I would opt for a Savage over the Remington. Overall would be a Tikka though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
bought this for my wife last summer. her choice with my input. she says it's the most beautiful thing I've ever bought her and the prettiest rifle she's ever seen. Shoots same hole or shadowed holes repeatedly at 100 yards.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/0L2VgAUD6_qOvfrnKji.png
my rifle? for deer it's a 90s model 7-08, the wife's original "for her" rifle that I started using. Even without the better trigger, etc it is so accurate, Savage became "my" rifle choice. A year ago I purchased a weather warrior 300 wsm. Love it. https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/TvOs22fdf_szeVBR1JV.png

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
798 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.