Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Finally found one and got it in. Went to the range yesterday and it works great. Accurate, great trigger hits to point of aim etc. The problem is the barrel, it is canted, turned passed center. Does not seem to affect anything but me... It is there and I can see it. Should I send it back to S&W? Would they fix it or say it is fine and return it? A little bit bummed that as a $700+ revolver the barrel is not dead centered.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's not something you see in a S&W revolver. You should definitely return it, otherwise it's goingi to bother you forever. The 617 is one of those guns you tend to hold on to forever, so get it right. S&W will make it right, don't worry about that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a SS 629 with the barrel canted to the left a couple of MM and i took a plastic mallet or small hammer and gave it a couple of whacks and straighten or i should say aligned it perfect . The pistol shot great . Aligning the barrel when off a mm or 2 won't effect anything , except make the pistol group better. Smith is bad about over-torquing barrel on their revolvers since doing away with pinned barrels. It is no big deal to aligning a over-torque barrel on a Smith .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The problem is the barrel ... turned passed center.

It happens.

I have a 629-5 that had the opposite problem. The barrel wasn't turned in far enough. It had never reached center. You could see the front blade was tipped over. I had to move the rear sight all the way to the right to get it to zero. Bothered me no end.

I could have sent it to S&W and I'm sure they would have fixed it for free, but as it happened, a gunsmith in the area unscrewed the barrel, relieved some of the steel around the part that butts up against the frame and screwed it back on. The factory could not have done it better.

My situation was unusual, though. In your place, I would send it to S&W. They should make it right.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have seen many, and owned several, S&W revolvers not only with canted barrels not screwed in enough or screwed in too far, but also with bent barrels that were pointing too far right or left (mostly left) even though they were indexed correctly in the frame.

The majority of these issues I have seen were in revolvers of 1980's-early 90's production, but I'm sure there are examples from all eras including today.

The cure for a bent barrel is not easy for the owner to watch.

S&W will make it right if you return it to them for repair.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I really like the revolver and actually think that it is worth the money. I bought it to give my old High Standard Citation a break from the range trips. Nothing wrong with it, but they are getting collectable and 300 rounds a trip will give some wear. I would guess the 617 is about 4 to 5 degrees out, still shoots to point of aim with the rear site basically centered but it is visible. If one runs a finger nail on the right side you hit the frame, the left side you hit barrel. I will contact S&W and see what they will do. I have owned and do own several S&W and this is a first for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would guess the 617 is about 4 to 5 degrees out, still shoots to point of aim with the rear site basically centered but it is visible.

Hmmmm. If they send it back with the barrel backed off to center the front sight, you might have to move the rear sight off center to maintain zero.

Is it with just that one brand of ammo, or with everything?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
22LR in my area is Slim Pickens.. Used what I have around. Winchester super X HV, Wincester 22 target, Auglia pistol match, RWS rifle match, and Remington subsonic. All shot to point of aim, and dang the Remington is dirty..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 617 they are great guns although when I got it oh man two men and a boy to pull the trigger double action had to send it for trigger work S&W will not do their rimfires (They will be sure they are in speck but not lighten)

But here is a stupid question
That was what the "pinned" barrel stopped correct?
The pin made sure the barrel was in straight?

Thanks Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd send it back and ask them if they can also fix the trigger while its there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd ask for a refund, then go buy an older pre gay-lock smith and have money left over. Preferably a k-22 built by hand from craftsman.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I'd ask for a refund, then go buy an older pre gay-lock smith and have money left over. Preferably a k-22 built by hand from craftsman.
The K-22 has never been a hand built handgun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Early K-22 (Outdoorsman and Masterpiece etc.) were hand fitted on a craftsman's bench. So to me they are built by hand in an era long since past.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,539
Posts18,453,081
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.