Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bglimpse
OK, I"m heading to South Africa in August. I'll be hunting everything from Steenbuck to Eland. I plan on taking my Weatherby Ultralight in 7mm RM. My question, 140gr Barnes TTSX or 160gr Barnes TSX/Accubond? I'm partial to the 140gr TTSX but know those animals are tough, even the little guys. Thanks.

On my trip to Botswana last August, I killed 22 animals that started with the Steenbok and ranged to Eland and Giraffe. I am a huge fan of both the 7mm Rem Mag and the trusty old 30.06 and was intent on using my PH's 7Mag until I got there and began to handle his rifles. The custom '06 felt so good in my hands that I quickly chose it and never looked back. It's the caliber that I cut my large game hunting teeth on and I will always be loyal to it to a degree. Using Norma 180 grain Oryx factory ammo, I had great success on all animals hunted, electing to go for a head shot on the Giraffe. The Eland absorbed a couple of rounds before going down, but the first one was well placed and woulda been enough. I shoot 'em til they're on the ground though.

I believe that either of your choices of ammo in the 7mm RM will work if placed in the right spot, but the animals there are well constructed, although not indestructible. Heavier is always better IMO. Just make sure that you shoot a Blue Wildebeest very well, as they pretty much wake up and go for a run once shot! And even though one should always concentrate on making the first shot count, don't be guilty of standing there admiring your work... if the animal is still standing, shoot him til he ain't!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
For African plains game, get the heaviest bullets for whatever caliber you end up using. Controlled expansion bullets like Swift A-Frame and the Barnes TSX will all work very well. Pick whichever one that shoots the best in your rifle.

African animals seem much tougher than North American game and are NOT impressed with light, high velocity bullets that rapidly expand. Several years ago, my father shot a gemsbok with a 7mm Magnum using rapid expansion bullets that would work wonders on a white tailed deer. His first shot hit right on the shoulder and the gemsbok, while obviously seriously wounded, did not go down. He shot it again, this time hitting slightly behind the shoulder and it did not go far before expiring.

When examining the gemsbok afterwards, they discovered that the first shot broke the shoulder bone and caused horrific damage to the shoulder muscles, but it broke up and did not actually enter the body cavity! Fortunately, the second shot hit behind the shoulder and hit the heart and lungs.

Keep this in mind and ensure that you use bullets that will expand, but at the same time still penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals of the animal and hopefully exit. This will save you lots of time, effort, and heartache on your hunt.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
160 grain Nosler Partition!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.