Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I hunt the crazies for elk. But most of the time I avoid going too far from a road or a school where there is a spelling bee going on...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
There are a few places in the Little Belts you can hike into to get away from people, but if it is any where near a road it can be like downtown Great Falls.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I hunt the crazies for elk. But most of the time I avoid going too far from a road or a school where there is a spelling bee going on...

grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ranger1
The Little Belts are overrun with 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. Absolutely no enforcement of USFS regulations in re: to ATVs on horse trails and closed roads. My camp was robbed while I was gone one day in the Little Belts also. Not my first choice for an elk hunting spot. Without doubt the least enjoyable place in MT that I've hunted.

Man, that sucks.

I've only camped down there in the summer. Kids love it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can spend hours still hunting into a hot spot and blow all the elk out of the drainage with one swirl of the wind or shift in direction.

If you're bow hunting these north facing drainages, forget calling. Don't even try it, you'll blow the elk out and just call in some other dopes.

That sounds really similar to the breaks, constand wind shifts as well as super high pressured elk!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Apparition
You can spend hours still hunting into a hot spot and blow all the elk out of the drainage with one swirl of the wind or shift in direction.

If you're bow hunting these north facing drainages, forget calling. Don't even try it, you'll blow the elk out and just call in some other dopes.

That sounds really similar to the breaks, constand wind shifts as well as super high pressured elk!

No joke...

I'd rather hunt pressured Elk in Montana's hot spots than spend a bunch of time camping with my bow closer to home.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm going to direct this question to those who have hunted the Little Belts. If I go into one of the non motorized / less accesible areas, and spend 7 days hunting hard, what can I expect? I can easily get 5 miles or better from any access points.

I realize nowhere is a slam dunk on public land, but for myself and the couple guys I hunt with, all married and have kids, out of state elk hunts represent not only a significant financial investment, but also an opportunity to provide for the families; which is why I have become so adamant about researching the best probable areas. We also dont mind the peace and quite of no cell phone service and the glow of a stove lit outfitter tent...

I am open to any and all suggestions.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I wish I still had the picture of a lady who shot a monster bull in the Little Belts last season. Her husband went walking looking for elk while she stayed at the pick-up. Out walks this huge 6pt which she quickly dumps. There are big elk there, but not a lot. If you can get away from the roads (every one says at least 1 mile, but I would say double that) you should have a reasonable shot at undisturbed elk.

I am telling you this not as a great elk hunter, because I am not. This is from the results of people I know who take horses back to get their elk. The lady is an anomally, but those stories seem to happen every year. At least to other people.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Are the big belts as bad as the Little Belts as far as ATV use?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
95% of the elk in the Belts are found on private land. I've seen as many as 800 head in a herd. That leaves very few on Forest Service land. As far as big bulls, when you look over 800 head during the rut and the biggest bull in there is about a 290 class, that tells you about the quality of elk in the Belts also. I go to the western part of the state now and just drive on by the Belts. They for the most part are a waste of time.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That puts things in perspective. Not having big bulls isnt the deal breaker but when the majority of the herd is on Private, thats the kicker for me.

Originally Posted by troutslayer
95% of the elk in the Belts are found on private land. I've seen as many as 800 head in a herd. That leaves very few on Forest Service land. As far as big bulls, when you look over 800 head during the rut and the biggest bull in there is about a 290 class, that tells you about the quality of elk in the Belts also. I go to the western part of the state now and just drive on by the Belts. They for the most part are a waste of time.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I don't hunt general tags and hold out for big bulls. If its legal, I shoot it. I suppose this is a side affect of only elk hunting 1 week per year / every other year and liking to eat elk meat. I can get a few miles from any road, just dont want to hike my arse off to find no elk and quads where they aren't suppose to be. 95% seemslike an awful high number given the square miles in this range, but then again, who am I to say? I've never hunted it. After 8 straight days of hiking the gravellys and not having one legitimate shot at an elk; and seeing only 1 cow at over a mile, there has to be a more productive area to try. Or, maybe I am just that unlucky.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
8 days in the gravellys...I saw more wolves than elk.

The biologist estimates 4,500 head in the little belt region. This means that each percentage represents 45 elk. So, there are only 225 elk on public land in the little belts.....Given the annual harvest stats, every single elk on public land, plus a few are killed evey year.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by troutslayer
95% of the elk in the Belts are found on private land.

Bullschit.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BS would be my guess too, but haven't hunted the Little Belts for a while.

Have seen enough illegal ATV's and their trails in the Big Belts to know there should be a season on 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't get me wrong, private land is a safer bet.

I worked in the Little Belts for several summers and have friends that shoot public land bulls out of there every year. I am confident in saying that if a guy is willing to work, and drop off into some hellholes, the elk are there.

I would also like to see open season on ATVs. I'm fairly confident a 223 would work just fine on them, though a Barnes TSX might be a good idea for maximum penetration.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I hear you guys there, nothing in elk hunting, not even wolves..well,maybe wolves, is more frustrating than hiking for hours, only to hear quads roaring up the "closed" trail behind you. What I have found: guys on quads are notoriously lazy and often act like frightened baby chipmunks at the thought of getting too far from them. If there was a season on quads, I would have a lapua.

prairie goat, thanks for the advice, good to hear something positive for once.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A lot of the Little Belts is covered in roads, but plenty of it is nasty and timber choked, where the ATVs cannot play.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Always lots to learn about MT elk hunting on the internet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Always lots to learn about MT elk hunting on the internet.

Ain't that the truth...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.