-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
I've got a Ruger 77 Mark II in 6mm, and I had an excellent gunsmith install a Timney trigger on it. I asked the pull weight be set at 4.75 pounds, which he did, but it is not really crisp. I am considering having it adusted down to 3.5 pounds, more like the Timney was designed to operate. But before doing that I was curious what experiences people have had with other brand triggers, like Rifle Basix, Dayton-Traister, etc., in Ruger 77 Mark II's? My personal standard for a crisp trigger is what I have on my Remington 700 - a stock trigger, professionally adjusted, and very crisp. Any insights are appreciated

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to hard to get the factory trigger to 3.5lbs with out creep

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Veromarlin
My personal standard for a crisp trigger is what I have on my Remington 700 - a stock trigger, professionally adjusted, and very crisp. Any insights are appreciated

Probably the best aftermarket "hunting weight" trigger for the Ruger 77 Mk II is a professionally tuned factory trigger. They are easily capable of a crisp, 3 lb + pull.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
To answer your question SpecTech. The owner is a good guy too...

jim

http://spec-tech-industries.com

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had the spect tech trigger on my m77 Hawkeye ss and it got the pull weight down but was still very creepy. I sold the rifle because of the trigger. I have yet to see a light crisp trigger in a ruger and because of that I'm done with rugers.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have 8 or so timney triggers in mkiis and hawkeyes. I run them at about 1.5lbs or so. They seem pretty crisp to me. I have a couple stoned and resprung Hawkeye triggers and they seem fine.

To the OP, I would see what they can do to the timney, take it down a little and adjust it bit and see what it's like

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Just have someone in the know beaver away at the stock trigger.

1Minute
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
4.75 lbs is a bit heavy to my taste. Either a Timney or a MkII should be able to be tweaked by any competent gunsmith to be much better than that, and crisp - and I've done it. My own 2 tang (Old Model) Rugers, which triggers are much more raw than the Mk II, break at 3 to 3.5 lbs - about a pound heavier than I prefer, but that's as far as I dared go with the factory trigger. With just a tiny bit of creep.

As for the guy that gave up on Rugers.... Ha ha! I also hunt with Mauser 98's, and Remington 700 and 725. One of these days I'll get around to a Model 70...

No dead critters have yet complained about being shot with my Rugers....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm in agreement with the guys saying the stock MKII trigger can be tuned by a good smith. Surprised the OP's smith didn't make that suggestion. Mine are all set to 2 3/4 pounds with no creep and very crisp. Just the way I like them....Just as good (if not better) than any timney I've ever had...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 40 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.