340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ive been looking for a scope mount for an M1A1 and I find a dozed versions with prices ranging from $27-$360 JUST FOR THE MOUNT AND RINGS, thats not including a scope, now obviously quality varies but I think that price spreads absurd?
what should I be looking for and whats a good value

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
long as it has hardened pin inserts to match the grooves in the reciever, then its generally good to go.

Mine was from Bassett Machine in Dripping Springs TX, but have no clue if they are around anymore or not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
340Mag - repeatability of zero and lack of shift is the usual reason for the price spread on these. The single knob mounts are known for shifting, most probably the cheaper steel from overseas. There are a few US made ones that are good for holding under stress, but I'd have to do some research on "who's" still in buisiness.

The double knobs were an attempt to stablize the mount by providing a second mounting hard point, some receivers had second hole drilled in the side for the dual point mount. Others used the stripper clip hole for a second hard point. The cheaper ones used a second knob just with a pressure point, and no attachment to the receiver.

From what I know of the scoped M1As, harder steel and better attaching points made the difference in holding zero, or wandering POA after a few magazines.

Just my 2 cents...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I also went with the Bassett mount on mine - they still should be available and are considered one of the better mounts for the money. I have the low Picatinny rail mount which is currently listed at $159.50, and used Burris XTR rings:

http://bassettmachine.com/prod_smpr.htm

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Single bolt on my basset, would shoot sub MOA at 600 off the bench with the right loads and was repeatable enough for ammo testing when going back on.

Such that wasn't worth going the route of 2 bolts plus rules didn't allow us the block the stripper clip slot at the time in service rifle.

So far accuracy the basset is fine. Repeatable wise I"m not sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Sadlak Industries mount on my M1A and have not had a problem with it bumping aroung in the truck, boat or on the 4 wheeler. Arms lever mounts and Leupold Mark 4 4.5 - 14 50mm. It works well and with the scope removed I can still use the iron sights. Yes it is expensive but I might need it some day.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never, ever buy ANYTHING with B-Square stamped on it.

I would not own any M-14 mount that didn't fasten/lock into the stripper clip guide.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
some of you see the need for the clip connection.

All I can say is my accuracy needs are probably typically greater than the normal guy.

And the guns are not every treated well with me.

And the Bassett without the stripper clip guide is enough of what you need, and not any more.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rost495
some of you see the need for the clip connection.

All I can say is my accuracy needs are probably typically greater than the normal guy.

And the guns are not every treated well with me.

And the Bassett without the stripper clip guide is enough of what you need, and not any more.

I think of the issues I experienced were also due to the Springfield scope 3x12? 30mm tube with a 56mm bell, remeber that pig? Just a huge dead weight on one mount point under recoil, and cheap mounts, B-squre was what we knew from Brownell's, and the web-search was still in the future.

I'm sure there are better solution now, and better quality products than I used.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, big scopes suck

And really the other screw doesn't hurt a thing actually. But I never did see the need for it, Hardened pin inserts lined it up and tighten the screw and how could it go anywhere.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.