Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
What are the positive and negative aspects of carbon fiber handguards?

I have heard that they are "warm" in the winter, and there is a lot of that around here!

Can someone hang lights/lasers and such on a carbon guard without any problems?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Positive they are light, negative i don't like glue on free floats.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Less dense, and subsequently less durable than polymer (or aluminum, of course). No rails or easy mounting points. Lighter.

Troy Alpha's the plateau of rail tech until a new generation of lighter polymers is developed.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Light for sure, down side I agree with justonegunner no rails that come standard, at least with the ones that I have found. Although it is cool to say I have carbon fiber handguards wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never had an issue with mine. Its a weight saver. Warmth is never an issue here typically.

But i'll take the weight savings on a hunting gun any day typically.

I"ve got a lot of miles on a couple of them. And I've really yet to personally see the need for rails for much of anything. Long as I can get a sling/bipod on what more do I need for hunting.

Maybe an illuminator for the night vision scope but I can bolt a base on the side for that if need be. Carbon drills and will hold with bolts for that stuff.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, Have you ever tight slung your carbon tube? Will it hold up to that?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes they will. Carbon fiber is VERY strong. I've only used one but really liked it. I moved on the Troy TRX rails but only because I like thin profile they offer and they are light weight too. For a sporting AR the carbon tubes are a good choice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Jeff, Have you ever tight slung your carbon tube? Will it hold up to that?

Tight enough for hunting shots anyway and never an issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW our SCBA bottles in the fire trucks are carbon fiber and hold 2250 psi constantly.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
So, do the carbons feel "warm" in the winter?

Aluminum is pretty tough on the hands when it's below zero.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't you wear gloves?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a CF SCBA tank rated at 4500psi.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We've heard of the 4500 psi ones here... I think they are 11,000 to swap to for us though. Not worth it really. At least to some. I"d rahter have more air though personally.

Dakota Deer. They feel fine in out "winter" grins.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I run a carbon fiber handguard on my primary hunting AR and have never had a single issue with it. It sees a wide range of temperatures. I prefer the weight savings and smooth touch.

In regards to mounting stuff on CF guards, it is not too difficult to drill a hole and mount a piece of rail or a stud wherever you need it. BTDT.

I also have Troy Alpha rails on guns and think they are a top notch product.

I use both for different applications.

If I am building an ultralight hunting gun, I will use carbon fiber.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a really nice setup there Mackay. I assume that is just the standard ACE skeleton buttstock?

Does anyone make a slimmer carbon handguard?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yes, That's the standard ACE stock.
They make a shorter "entry" stock, which is too short in my opinion. Though if you combine it with a DMPS receiver extender it ends up being about 1" shorter than the standard ACE stock and really ideal for winter clothes and all around use.

In fact I like it as an ideal overall length fixed stock length.

I do not know if anyone make a slimmer CF tube, but don't let the pics fool you, this (at least in my opinion) is an outstanding field fore end. Love it for hunting and general purpose shooting. In fact this is the one AR the has all the other ARs left behind more often than not.

I have been very surprised at the number of people that handle it and immediately start haggling about a price. smile

When the current parts craziness settles down, I think I am going to have to build a few for people.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up a Lancer 15" CF handguard from Midway a month or so ago to use on a new build (24" hvy bbl). It weighs a little more than some of the other CF tubes, but I really like it - design, strength, looks, etc. And most of the weight is in the barrel nut/mount, so it should achieve the objective of not adding any more forward weight than necessary with the hvy bbl.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Yes, That's the standard ACE stock.
They make a shorter "entry" stock, which is too short in my opinion. Though if you combine it with a DMPS receiver extender it ends up being about 1" shorter than the standard ACE stock and really ideal for winter clothes and all around use.

In fact I like it as an ideal overall length fixed stock length.

I do not know if anyone make a slimmer CF tube, but don't let the pics fool you, this (at least in my opinion) is an outstanding field fore end. Love it for hunting and general purpose shooting. In fact this is the one AR the has all the other ARs left behind more often than not.

I have been very surprised at the number of people that handle it and immediately start haggling about a price. smile

When the current parts craziness settles down, I think I am going to have to build a few for people.

Yes, it looks like a great platform. Care to give the general specs?

What LOP ends up with the standard ACE versus the short ACE + extender?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.