Print Thread
Hop To
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just getting in to reloading and all me equipment came today. The only thing I am missing is a way to measure the OAL in my CZ 6.5x55. I want to purchase the Hornady� Lock-N-Load� OAL Gauge which I can find but the Hornady� Lock-N-Load O.A.L. Gauge Modified Case I need for the caliber is back-ordered for months everywhere I have looked.

Any suggestions on how I can measure it or does anyone have gauge case for sale, or rent?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey bud, you any good with tools? If so make one. Drill out the base of a once fired case you've got. Tap the thing to the right threads to fit device. Do not resize. Wolla, you've got a stoney point/hornady case guage fit to your rifle. whistle

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Hey bud, you any good with tools? If so make one. Drill out the base of a once fired case you've got. Tap the thing to the right threads to fit device. Do not resize. Wolla, you've got a stoney point/hornady case guage fit to your rifle. whistle

Takes a 5/16 x 36 tap and a letter K drill bit

Good luck finding one, usually have to be ordered

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had to go to an industrial tool supplier and order this tap. Darned smart of the company to not use a standard NC or NF tap.

Be sure to use a once fired unsized case. Or use a mandrel to open up neck so bullet can slide in and out easily.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Caliper?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by agazain
Caliper?

He's actually wanting to measure distance to lands rather than OAL, which is good, since none of the published sources for OAL used his rifle to establish their number.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just take a once fired case and cut slots in the neck to make a slip case. Put bullet in,extra long, and chamber. Carefully remove case and measure. I do this more than once to be sure. You can squeeze together or open up to adjust tension. Too much tension will make the bullet stick in the lands and too little will let the bullet move on removal, but it is easy to get this to work. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cdb
Thanks guys.

Tap is about 10 bucks on fleabay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=5+16+36+tap&_frs=1

a 9/32 drill bit is what you need.

Swifty
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I ordered the tap and have ordered the Hornady OAL Guage and the Hornady Comparator. They are in stock, it is only the special cases you cannot get. I am starting out just loading 6.5x55 and .223 for AR's and I will load the AR's to the COL spec's in the reloading manuals. After I feel comfortable I will reload for the rest of my calibers - 30-06, .270, 30-30 and .243. I will load the 30-30 to COL spec but on the others I will be able to make my own case. And since we have two 30-06's and two .243's I will make a case for each one. Thanks for all of your help.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
I just take a once fired case and cut slots in the neck to make a slip case. Put bullet in,extra long, and chamber. Carefully remove case and measure. I do this more than once to be sure. You can squeeze together or open up to adjust tension. Too much tension will make the bullet stick in the lands and too little will let the bullet move on removal, but it is easy to get this to work. miles

That's all I do too. However I also soot the bullet as well. That tells me if the lands grabbed the bullet and pulled it from the case just a hair (which they tend to do sometimes). You'll see that plain as day. Pretty easy to make your own oal gauge. The other methods are a waste of money and time.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
However I also soot the bullet as well.

I have done that also and used magic marker too. Not at the same time. grin Now I just run it through two or three times. If the multiple measures are the same, I call it good. Helps me keep from misreading or find other mistakes. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.