Print Thread
Hop To
R
reddnek Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
My friend has an unfired mode 49?Can anyone give me an idea of its worth????Also has original box and paper work.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look on Gunbroker at auctions that have closed, that should give you an idea.
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Ithaca's go pretty fast on GB because they were made at a time when quality was better, even though they were made by a (then) West German firm. I have a Model 72 that is every bit as good as the day it was new.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 49 ain't no 72, it's more based on the old Martini actions with a tinge of levergun styling........................................

Last edited by ratsmacker; 08/20/13.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Single shot?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Single shot?

The Ihaca Model 49 Saddlegun was a Martini-type pivoting/dropping block single-shot rifle with a painted receiver made of a zinc alloy IIRC (Zamak ?)

The Model 49R was a little-better repeater levergun; the Model 72 pretty much the same as the older Erma & today's Henry .22's.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a model 49 that is totally beat. It was my first rifle. I think dad gave it to me in 1968. Very cheaply made, but lots of fond memories shooting it. I now carry it on the trapline, and it still goes bang. I did see one new in the box at a gunshow, and the guy wanted $250 for it. I thought about it, and should have bought it. For what I don't know, maybe open it up on my birthday every year, and go back to a better time. Dad is gone, but I still have the gun. Funny, not many pics were taken by my family, but there is one with my dad handing me the rifle. Thanks for sparking a trip down memory lane.

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
- Notebook, 1894 Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Nilwod
I have a model 49 that is totally beat. It was my first rifle.

That was my first rifle too! It was a gift from my older brother on my 10th birthday and I killed my first squirrel with it the same year. I still remember the 35 yard, running neck shot. Although, let's not discuss the 15 or so squirrels I missed before I finally hit one!

The Model 49 was very accurate with Remington .22 hollow points. After outgrowing it, I foolishly sold it to my uncle a couple of years later to buy another gun. My brother died in '89, which made me regret letting the gun go. But, I got the Ithaca back when my kids were born. It had been neglected during its years away from me. But, it still shoots great and, this time, it will stay...

Also, interestingly enough , in this month's Ohio DNR magazine, "Wild Ohio", there's a first squirrel hunt story and an Ithaca 49 is pictured, although missing the barrel band.

Last edited by msquared; 10/17/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nilwod
I have a model 49 that is totally beat. It was my first rifle. I think dad gave it to me in 1968. Very cheaply made, but lots of fond memories shooting it. I now carry it on the trapline, and it still goes bang. I did see one new in the box at a gunshow, and the guy wanted $250 for it. I thought about it, and should have bought it. For what I don't know, maybe open it up on my birthday every year, and go back to a better time. Dad is gone, but I still have the gun. Funny, not many pics were taken by my family, but there is one with my dad handing me the rifle. Thanks for sparking a trip down memory lane.
nice post

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had one years ago; bought it in 1973 I think. It was a good shooter. Don't ever shoot longs or shorts in it or the accuracy will go to h.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my brother has a 49 that he bought for $5 in the mid 60's from a friend of his. i shot thousands of rounds out of that gun growing up until it no longer extracts. it is popcan accurate for sure. they are cheaply made, with alloy receivers. i would doubt a NIB would go for much. maybe $300 unless you find a real ithaca nut, which is always possible.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen a couple well used ones for 120 and 140 in the past couple months. I have two myself. One does not extract. They are poorly made, but there is something about the lever action appeal.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Strider
One does not extract. They are poorly made, ...

Mine has been extracting just fine for 47 years....

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
First rifle I ever owned.
15 dollars used.
Back in the early 70's maybe late 60's?
Mine had a soft extractor.
Sometimes it worked, sometimes I would dig out the empties with my pocketknife. It taught me to make my shots carefully.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
The 49 and 49R were made in the Ithaca .
The Model 72 was made in Germany on the same patents that Henry now uses .

Glenn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.