Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for recommendations for a rock solid hunting daypack that can double as an airline carry on. Well made, durable, approx 1800-2200 ci. Been looking at the Kifaru spike camp but pricy & seems to have a few too many straps n stuff everywhere for a good carry on. What about the Mystery Ranch sweet pea or snap dragon ?? Thanks

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You'll use every strap on that Spike Camp, mainly because it isn't a large pack. Spendy but you get what you pay for. I've seen the Mystery Ranch packs but I really question whether or not that tri-zipper arrangement will hold up.

163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I haven't actually seen a mystery ranch yet but I have the same concerns about the tri zip. Thanks

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have Kifaru packs and MR packs. The Tri-Zip design will old up and work just fine, ESP. for your uses. They use the Tri-zip on the 3 day assault military packs among others; and they hold up to that use and the dusty environs they are used in.

I have a MR Sweetpea pack ( in the OD / foliage color) and although I have not used it for a hunting day pack yet, I have no doubt it hold hold up fine. Would not carry real heavy loads of meat in it, but for day pack use it would be fine. The pack would hold up fine, but the suspension is designed for only about 40 lbs with the live wing optional waistbelt (which I would get). I have used my pack for day hikes and snowshoe and ski day trips. I have also used it as a carry on pack. I really like the pack and I think it is fairly priced and very well made. I like the lack of busy internal pockets on MR's recreation packs when compared to the busy internal pockets on the hunting/ military line. The outside stick it pocket on the sweet pea is another nice feature.

Pack should work well for your purposes. I know it has for what I have used it for. And I would not hesitate to use it has a close in hunting day pack; where you could get a pack frame if need be after taking a small first load of meat.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought the Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer a few months back. I have been using it for hiking and scouting and plan to use it as a hunting daypack this fall. The hipbelt stows out of the way when the pack is used as carry on. The interior of the pack has a ton of storage pouches along with some molle webbing for adding pouches.

I have had no problems at all with the trizip. I have also seen all sorts of military personel using different tri zip Mystery Ranch packs so I imagine it should be pretty durable.
My next pack will be the sweetpea

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Eberlestock X2 has worked wonderfully as a day pack. In fact, it will be my go-to pack for a 5+ day backcountry hunt next year. I used my J104 this year, but I learned a few things and have reduced the bulk to where it will fit in the X2 now. I need to test it a bit more with relatively heavy loads (~100 lbs) just to be sure it will handle the meat pack out fine; but so far it seems fine. Edit: I have also used it as a carry on a few elk hunting trips, works fine.

Last edited by prm; 03/27/13.
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What about Blackhawk Packs?? Their Phoenix looks like a nice pack?? How do you guys think it will stack up against the Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer?? Or Kifaru Spike camp?? Thanks for the replies. 163bc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 163bc
I haven't actually seen a mystery ranch yet but I have the same concerns about the tri zip. Thanks
I used a Dragonslayer a bunch over the last 3-4 (?) years. The Tri-zip holds up just fine. I liked the pack a lot and had no concerns about its quality or durability, so much so, that I just bought a bigger MR Tri-zip pack for my day/weekend pack... the Bighorn.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Dragonslayer 1st generation and its going on the plane with me tomorrow morning as a carry-on.
I have taken it with me on a few trips and no problems. Just cinch it up tight with the two straps and you're good to go.

Retired and loving it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
154 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.