Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
For a Glock 20, application hunting, ranges 20-50 yards max.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i'd also look at the Trijicon RMR

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
nice, but am not considering it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm not sold on the concept. A friend tried a Docter on a Glock years ago and he really had issues finding the dot out of the holster. Some guys say they speed up target aquisition for them just like an Aimpoint on a carbine. I don't know.

If I tried it, I'd go all out. RMR, milled slide, suppressor sights etc. It might be da bomb for a deer stand

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 03/17/13.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
there are various things such as the visibility of the dot in certain lighting conditions that I am trying to understand.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jimmyp,

You can find some posts over at eeek 'Glocktalk'. I've got a burris fastfire on a Ruger MK III and On a 10-22 with a bushnell trs-25, I know a different type of sight. Anyway, it is taking me some getting used to both of them, finding the dot. The claim I have heard is that used in conjunction with iron sights they kind of train you where to look and help speed your sight aquisition. the rifle is the only one of the two that has iron sights on it and sometimes I feel it is cluttered, I've got a lot of shooting to do before I get used to it and it comes naturally.

I would also give the Leupold Delta sight a look. One of the guys who mills slides for the trijicon and the delta, (Bowie sp?)really pushes the delta... I have heard that he abuses it to show how tough it is. If you get the Trijicon... get the battery version as i am under the impression that once the tritium weakens you have to buy a new sight (though this is what 7 to 10 years?). I saw some pictures comparing the delta vs. the trijicon over at G-talk... point of them being the delta had a lot bigger view through the screen than the trijicon.

I too would go whole hog and have the slide milled; with my FF III I originally had it on a picatinny rail, but later got the mount for the MK III, what a difference in shooting the two? would not go back to the picatinny. If milled, I believe it is for a specific sight only so I would not crimp on the sight either... I know adds up fast.

My hits at 50 yards increased significantly with the FF over Iron sights. I am so so on the FF III as I had the original FF and do not care for all of the settings on the III, preferred the on-off button on the first version.

I like the idea of cowitnessing with iron sights because I would not trust a battery operated sight and electronics to be reliable.

Sorry just A lot of blather but not much help.

jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got a L3 MRDS and am having a nightmare of a time fitting it to a Glock 20...I have the docter mount now but the screws that came with it are too short. I turned it on the other day and my "red dot" looks like a fuzzy egg...so, now I'm sending it back for repairs.

Love the idea but it has given me NOTHING but trouble so far.

NRA Life Member
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have not read much regards the L3 MRDS, sad to hear your having a problem but thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had two Burris Fastfire II sights for well over a year now, using them on a Ruger Mk III and a couple of Marlin lever actions.

Depending on the size of what you are hunting the FF II could be an excellent sight. The 4 MOA dot shows up well in all kinds of light but it you are trying to make head shots on squirrels at 50 yards it might cover up a it too much of the target for really precise aiming. But for something like medium game - hogs or deer or coyotes or such - it would be great, or even body shots at smaller game like rabbits. Just put that little dot where you want the bullet to go.

It can take a bit of transition mounting the handgun to find the dot, I had that problem when first using my Ruger Mk III. But what I was doing was still looking for the existing front sight through the sight window. Once I quit doing that and let my muscle memory take over the pistol mounted just fine and the dot was right there.

Once I got used to it, which really only took about a half hour of practice, I found it really fast to use. You're not lining up a front and rear sight, just slap that dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. Head position doesn't have to be exact and you don't need to worry about the dot being in the exact center of the sight picture. As long as you can see the dot anywhere in the window that's where the bullet is going to go.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The 4 MOA dot shows up well in all kinds of light but it you are trying to make head shots on squirrels at 50 yards it might cover up a it too much of the target for really precise aiming."

This is why I sighted mine to hit at the top of the dot at 50 yards.

If you go with the FF III, make sure you get the dot you want... I think mine is a 3 MOA dot, but believe there also is a 8 MOA dot.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Think I would not like an 8 MOA dot, I need to look intonthis as well.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
anyone use the Leupold Deltapoint?? Auto on and off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a DeltaPoint on my MKII for a time, it's now doing carbine duty in a 45 degree mount on one of my AR's that I scoped. The Leupold came with a chit ton of mounts to fit multiple things and was easy to set up and seems very robust.

It's bright, easy to zero, user friendly and I like the auto on/off.

It isn't quite in the class of my buddies Trijicon RMR but its better then everything else I have tried.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
regards the Trijicon what is the difference between the delta point and the RMR?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seems like RMR is getting a lot more use and attention than the rest of them.

FWIW, I've heard of shock issues with the LED model, but it's brighter than the dual-illuminated. I would love to get one embedded on my 1911 and some Glock suppressor-height sights...

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the usual opinion is that Trijicon is without peer, not always as I had the reflex which was not that good. Just curious why the RMR is considered much better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a couple Tasco Optima 2000s which is what these reddots are derived from. I really liked them on my revolvers. Target acquisition was much faster as all you have to do is put the dot on the target. I was able to make head shots on small ground squirrels from 10-15 yards with my S&W model 17 (22lr).

Also, they small so they don't dramatically increase the size of pistol. I used a standard revolver holster to hold them with the reddot on.

The Tascos were not tough enough as they were made of plastic. Think the Leupold, Buris and Trijicon would do much better.

Last edited by ConradCA; 03/28/13.

[Linked Image from ]
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
well I just learned that none other than Gabe Suarez endorses the RMR and says the Leupold Delta point sucks! I don't know about Gabe however DocGKR who posts on m4carbine also endorses the LED RMR. That endorsement carry's a lot of weight in my mind.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,897 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.