-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
While we're talking them newfangled nipple guns rather that those that require only a small rock, here's my own latest acquisition.

A genuine piece of Americana given that its a Hatfield. Hatfield was a pioneering 1970's company in the post-Jeremiah Johnson era, but apparently went through a number of iterations before its eventual demise, the best Hatfields being excellent with domestic components, others not so much.

Here's the rifle, whoever applied the tacks knew the value of understatement...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ted Hatfield apparently used the same stock profile on his longrifles and his plains rifles. Tho' they are said to kick like a mule on .54 cal., it does make for a graceful-looking rifle.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely no marks visible anywhere on the gun except for "HATFIELD" on the lock and "54" on the barrel, both of which are visible in this shot...

[Linked Image]

If this is a late-production Hatfield by that time he was bringing in components from Italy, however one gentleman on another site was of the opinion that this lock was a Siler, I would assume when Siler was still making 'em rather than Davis...

[Linked Image]

And here's a feature I ain't seen before; a brass plate under the lock...

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very cool!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks...

The barrel is a puzzle, no proof or maker's marks visible at all other than that 54 on the side. Dunno where the breech plug came from...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was hoping the profile of the rifling might lend a clue as to origin but so far no such luck. Maybe someone here could lend insight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whatever it is its a nice rifle for the reasonable price I paid, appears to have been fired scarcely at all.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A piece of art. Hopefully it shoots as well as it looks.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya, been buried in muzzleloaders lately, relatively speaking, two new acquisitions inside of a month shocked

Got a flint .50 cal poor boy longrifle I'm bringing out to the range for the first time today (pics to follow). In my limited experience it takes a while to make the acquaintance of a new longarm, could go through several ball/patch/powder iterations before we're done.

Might not get to wring out that plains rifle for a bit.

Birdwatcher

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Beautiful wood and classic elegant lines, super find!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Indeed cool

So far I've found the same trigger group, breech plug and sights in a Track of the Wolf print catalog I have, same barrel wedges too if they ain't all identical.

Starting to think it may have domestic parts after all.

After the original Hatfield folded in the early 80's a short-lived outfit called the Missouri River Rifle Works, also in St Louis, continued the Hatfield line using Green River barrels and AFAIK domestic components.

Maybe this is one of theirs.

Birdwatcher

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
that gun is beautiful. And +1 on the tacks. Seen a few gaudy creations... less is more.

Love the wood.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 37 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.