Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
At a hastily organized news conference today, the national president of the NAACP asserted that images of two of the presidents honored on Mount Rushmore, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, are "offensive and hurtful."

National NAACP president Rev. William Barber claimed that he was shocked Friday when he was shown a picture of the monument. Upon researching the memorial's history on Wikipedia, he discovered what he described as "disturbing truths" that require the site's "total demolition." Both former presidents were slaveowners.

One historian who disagrees is Civil War historian Kevin M. Levin. "I sympathize with Reverend Barber, and normally I do not disagree with black people, especially those who are bigger than me. But as a student of history, I think we need to appreciate Mount Rushmore in its historical context."

These arguments have not changed Barber's mind. "He is right that it has a historical context," Barber said. "But what is that history? The history of racism. The history of lynchings. The history of death. The history of slavery. If you say that shouldn't be offensive, then either you don't know the history, or you are denying the history."

When asked why the images of Lincoln and Roosevelt should suffer the same fate, Barber laughed. "They've been hangin' with George and Tom too long to be innocent. They had their chance."

April 1, sucka's

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
offensive and hurtful

Too bad.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
April fools...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is too precious....

If it werent for at least Lincoln that dude would be cleaning out a horse stable somewhere...if he were lucky.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
two of the presidents honored on Mount Rushmore, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, are "offensive and hurtful."

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think someone should sculpt a likeness of Obama on black stone.

Then toss it up in the air and hit it with a baseball bat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, April Fools. They would never destroy Rushmore because of all the treasure stored in the tunnels behind the faces. You saw the movie, didn't you? And the tunnels lead to Warehouse 13. The town of Eureka is in South Dakota too (eurekasd.com) though they say it's in Oregon. Ties in with the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory at the old Homestake Gold Mine for experiments on dark matter and neutrinos. South Dakota is America's well kept science and technology secret. All the pheasants are to distract you.

(The Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory project is for real anyway. The pheasants too.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Microscopic dark matter?
In between the ears of NAACP perhaps?

Tell these bastards take their America hating history hating asses back to africa and carve their own damn mountain.
And when they're done don't bother telling us about it because we don't give a chit. Jump off top of the son of a bitch and feed the buzzards for all I care.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't be possible to carve a large likeness of Obama.
The ears would break off.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
^ Take a big damn chunk of coal for sure!

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Emancipation Proclamation ONLY freed slaves in the 'rebellious states' south of Mason-Dixon! It did not apply to slaves in the loyal border states!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My dog just "birthed" a likeness of Obie
Talented bas-turd, did it without looking

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like the fact the Rev just found out about Mt Rushmore DFN

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another dumb ass black who needs to be taken to the top of Rushmore and tossed off .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'd be in favor of dynamiting Lincoln and Teddy off, but not Jefferson and Washington.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are a dumbass

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Somebody could get up there and chisel Lincoln loose, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll never understand why they have a likeness of the man who destroyed the country next to the likeness of two men who created it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Blacks are brain dead race that only have the color of their skin to do the thinking or lack of in most cases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Yes, April Fools. They would never destroy Rushmore because of all the treasure stored in the tunnels behind the faces. You saw the movie, didn't you? And the tunnels lead to Warehouse 13. The town of Eureka is in South Dakota too (eurekasd.com) though they say it's in Oregon. Ties in with the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory at the old Homestake Gold Mine for experiments on dark matter and neutrinos. South Dakota is America's well kept science and technology secret. All the pheasants are to distract you.

(The Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory project is for real anyway. The pheasants too.)

Sshhhhhh don't tell everyone. whistle

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have always been under the impression that Lincoln fulfilled his oath of office by doing everything within his power to preserve the Union. What more could he have done to meet his obligations?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have always been under the impression that Lincoln fulfilled his oath of office by doing everything within his power to preserve the Union. What more could he have done to meet his obligations?

King George III did everything in his power to preserve the Union too,....as did every other tyrant in the history of the world.

A free people are under no obligation to preserve any damn "union". (another word for government)

Read and be freed.

http://www.sobran.com/articles/tyranny.shtml

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Good excerpt:

The Civil War, or the War Between the States if you like, resulted from the suspicion that the North meant to use the power of the Union to destroy the sovereignty of the Southern states. Whether or not that suspicion was justified, the war itself produced that very result. The South was subjugated and occupied like a conquered country. Its institutions were profoundly remade by the federal government; the United States of America was taking on the character of an extensive, and highly centralized, empire.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Here's the Presidential oath of office.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

I don't see anything there about preserving any union.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I see *this* in the Declaration of Independence, however.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Lincoln pretty much said, "fug that!",...in keeping with tyrants throughout history.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This is what it is.

The Civil War was the second American Revolution.

America lost.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
My dog just "birthed" a likeness of Obie
Talented bas-turd, did it without looking

Talk is cheap with out pictures where are the pictures it never happened with out the pictures

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I'll never understand why they have a likeness of the man who destroyed the country next to the likeness of two men who created it.
+1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Good excerpt:

The Civil War, or the War Between the States if you like, resulted from the suspicion that the North meant to use the power of the Union to destroy the sovereignty of the Southern states. Whether or not that suspicion was justified, the war itself produced that very result. The South was subjugated and occupied like a conquered country. Its institutions were profoundly remade by the federal government; the United States of America was taking on the character of an extensive, and highly centralized, empire.
Absolutely. The South were fighting for our nation's founding principles, and the North was fighting for empire. It was an extended repetition of Rome's Battle of Philippi, and the same side lost in both cases.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This is what it is.

The Civil War was the second American Revolution.

America lost.
I've said the same for years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

+1

I'll second that.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm proud of my ancestors... too bad American-Africans aren't.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandparents came from Europe, please explain to me why I have to pay for what ALL you bad white folks did before we arrived?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bet Rev. Barber doesn't have a problem with the image of Washington and Jefferson when he sees them on a $1 or $2 dollar bill.

BTW, the largest denomination U.S. bill ever actually printed was the $100,000 bill featuring the portrait of Woodrow Wilson.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
660,000 dead men. Quite the legacy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from the Negro web site The Root �

Did Black People Own Slaves?

Yes � but why they did and how many they owned will surprise you.

by Henry Louis Gates Jr. (from The Root)

One of the most vexing questions in African-American history is whether free African Americans themselves owned slaves. The short answer to this question, as you might suspect, is yes, of course; some free black people in this country bought and sold other black people, and did so at least since 1654, continuing to do so right through the Civil War. For me, the really fascinating questions about black slave-owning are how many black "masters" were involved, how many slaves did they own and why did they own slaves?

The answers to these questions are complex, and historians have been arguing for some time over whether free blacks purchased family members as slaves in order to protect them � motivated, on the one hand, by benevolence and philanthropy, as historian Carter G. Woodson put it, or whether, on the other hand, they purchased other black people "as an act of exploitation," primarily to exploit their free labor for profit, just as white slave owners did. The evidence shows that, unfortunately, both things are true. The great African-American historian, John Hope Franklin, states this clearly: "The majority of Negro owners of slaves had some personal interest in their property." But, he admits, "There were instances, however, in which free Negroes had a real economic interest in the institution of slavery and held slaves in order to improve their economic status

In a fascinating essay reviewing this controversy, R. Halliburton shows that free black people have owned slaves "in each of the thirteen original states and later in every state that countenanced slavery," at least since Anthony Johnson and his wife Mary went to court in Virginia in 1654 to obtain the services of their indentured servant, a black man, John Castor, for life.

And for a time, free black people could even "own" the services of white indentured servants in Virginia as well. Free blacks owned slaves in Boston by 1724 and in Connecticut by 1783; by 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler "regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade," Halliburton wrote.

Perhaps the most insidious or desperate attempt to defend the right of black people to own slaves was the statement made on the eve of the Civil War by a group of free people of color in New Orleans, offering their services to the Confederacy, in part because they were fearful for their own enslavement: "The free colored population [native] of Louisiana � own slaves, and they are dearly attached to their native land � and they are ready to shed their blood for her defense. They have no sympathy for abolitionism; no love for the North, but they have plenty for Louisiana � They will fight for her in 1861 as they fought [to defend New Orleans from the British] in 1814-1815."

These guys were, to put it bluntly, opportunists par excellence: As Noah Andre Trudeau and James G. Hollandsworth Jr. explain, once the war broke out, some of these same black men formed 14 companies of a militia composed of 440 men and were organized by the governor in May 1861 into "the Native Guards, Louisiana," swearing to fight to defend the Confederacy. Although given no combat role, the Guards � reaching a peak of 1,000 volunteers � became the first Civil War unit to appoint black officers.

When New Orleans fell in late April 1862 to the Union, about 10 percent of these men, not missing a beat, now formed the Native Guard/Corps d'Afrique to defend the Union. Joel A. Rogers noted this phenomenon in his 100 Amazing Facts: "The Negro slave-holders, like the white ones, fought to keep their chattels in the Civil War." Rogers also notes that some black men, including those in New Orleans at the outbreak of the War, "fought to perpetuate slavery."

How Many Slaves Did Blacks Own?

So what do the actual numbers of black slave owners and their slaves tell us? In 1830, the year most carefully studied by Carter G. Woodson, about 13.7 percent (319,599) of the black population was free. Of these, 3,776 free Negroes owned 12,907 slaves, out of a total of 2,009,043 slaves owned in the entire United States, so the numbers of slaves owned by black people over all was quite small by comparison with the number owned by white people. In his essay, " 'The Known World' of Free Black Slaveholders," Thomas J. Pressly, using Woodson's statistics, calculated that 54 (or about 1 percent) of these black slave owners in 1830 owned between 20 and 84 slaves; 172 (about 4 percent) owned between 10 to 19 slaves; and 3,550 (about 94 percent) each owned between 1 and 9 slaves.

Crucially, 42 percent owned just one slave.

Pressly also shows that the percentage of free black slave owners as the total number of free black heads of families was quite high in several states, namely 43 percent in South Carolina, 40 percent in Louisiana, 26 percent in Mississippi, 25 percent in Alabama and 20 percent in Georgia. So why did these free black people own these slaves?

It is reasonable to assume that the 42 percent of the free black slave owners who owned just one slave probably owned a family member to protect that person, as did many of the other black slave owners who owned only slightly larger numbers of slaves. As Woodson put it in 1924's Free Negro Owners of Slaves in the United States in 1830, "The census records show that the majority of the Negro owners of slaves were such from the point of view of philanthropy. In many instances the husband purchased the wife or vice versa � Slaves of Negroes were in some cases the children of a free father who had purchased his wife. If he did not thereafter emancipate the mother, as so many such husbands failed to do, his own children were born his slaves and were thus reported to the numerators."

Moreover, Woodson explains, "Benevolent Negroes often purchased slaves to make their lot easier by granting them their freedom for a nominal sum, or by permitting them to work it out on liberal terms." In other words, these black slave-owners, the clear majority, cleverly used the system of slavery to protect their loved ones. That's the good news.

But not all did, and that is the bad news. Halliburton concludes, after examining the evidence, that "it would be a serious mistake to automatically assume that free blacks owned their spouse or children only for benevolent purposes." Woodson himself notes that a "small number of slaves, however, does not always signify benevolence on the part of the owner." And John Hope Franklin notes that in North Carolina, "Without doubt, there were those who possessed slaves for the purpose of advancing their [own] well-being � these Negro slaveholders were more interested in making their farms or carpenter-shops 'pay' than they were in treating their slaves humanely." For these black slaveholders, he concludes, "there was some effort to conform to the pattern established by the dominant slaveholding group within the State in the effort to elevate themselves to a position of respect and privilege." In other words, most black slave owners probably owned family members to protect them, but far too many turned to slavery to exploit the labor of other black people for profit.

Who Were These Black Slave Owners?

If we were compiling a "Rogues Gallery of Black History," the following free black slaveholders would be in it:

John Carruthers Stanly � born a slave in Craven County, N.C., the son of an Igbo mother and her master, John Wright Stanly � became an extraordinarily successful barber and speculator in real estate in New Bern. As Loren Schweninger points out in Black Property Owners in the South, 1790-1915, by the early 1820s, Stanly owned three plantations and 163 slaves, and even hired three white overseers to manage his property! He fathered six children with a slave woman named Kitty, and he eventually freed them. Stanly lost his estate when a loan for $14,962 he had co-signed with his white half brother, John, came due. After his brother's stroke, the loan was Stanly's sole responsibility, and he was unable to pay it.

William Ellison's fascinating story is told by Michael Johnson and James L. Roark in their book, Black Masters: A Free Family of Color in the Old South. At his death on the eve of the Civil War, Ellison was wealthier than nine out of 10 white people in South Carolina. He was born in 1790 as a slave on a plantation in the Fairfield District of the state, far up country from Charleston. In 1816, at the age of 26, he bought his own freedom, and soon bought his wife and their child. In 1822, he opened his own cotton gin, and soon became quite wealthy. By his death in 1860, he owned 900 acres of land and 63 slaves. Not one of his slaves was allowed to purchase his or her own freedom.

Louisiana, as we have seen, was its own bizarre world of color, class, caste and slavery. By 1830, in Louisiana, several black people there owned a large number of slaves, including the following: In Pointe Coupee Parish alone, Sophie Delhonde owned 38 slaves; Lefroix Decuire owned 59 slaves; Antoine Decuire owned 70 slaves; Leandre Severin owned 60 slaves; and Victor Duperon owned 10. In St. John the Baptist Parish, Victoire Deslondes owned 52 slaves; in Plaquemine Brule, Martin Donatto owned 75 slaves; in Bayou Teche, Jean B. Muillion owned 52 slaves; Martin Lenormand in St. Martin Parish owned 44 slaves; Verret Polen in West Baton Rouge Parish owned 69 slaves; Francis Jerod in Washita Parish owned 33 slaves; and Cecee McCarty in the Upper Suburbs of New Orleans owned 32 slaves. Incredibly, the 13 members of the Metoyer family in Natchitoches Parish � including Nicolas Augustin Metoyer, pictured � collectively owned 215 slaves.

Antoine Dubuclet and his wife Claire Pollard owned more than 70 slaves in Iberville Parish when they married. According to Thomas Clarkin, by 1864, in the midst of the Civil War, they owned 100 slaves, worth $94,700. During Reconstruction, he became the state's first black treasurer, serving between 1868 and 1878.

Andrew Durnford was a sugar planter and a physician who owned the St. Rosalie plantation, 33 miles south of New Orleans. In the late 1820s, David O. Whitten tells us, he paid $7,000 for seven male slaves, five females and two children. He traveled all the way to Virginia in the 1830s and purchased 24 more. Eventually, he would own 77 slaves. When a fellow Creole slave owner liberated 85 of his slaves and shipped them off to Liberia, Durnford commented that he couldn't do that, because "self interest is too strongly rooted in the bosom of all that breathes the American atmosphere."

It would be a mistake to think that large black slaveholders were only men. In 1830, in Louisiana, the aforementioned Madame Antoine Dublucet owned 44 slaves, and Madame Ciprien Ricard owned 35 slaves, Louise Divivier owned 17 slaves, Genevieve Rigobert owned 16 slaves and Rose Lanoix and Caroline Miller both owned 13 slaves, while over in Georgia, Betsey Perry owned 25 slaves. According to Johnson and Roark, the wealthiest black person in Charleston, S.C., in 1860 was Maria Weston, who owned 14 slaves and property valued at more than $40,000, at a time when the average white man earned about $100 a year. (The city's largest black slaveholders, though, were Justus Angel and Mistress L. Horry, both of whom owned 84 slaves.)

In Savannah, Ga., between 1823 and 1828, according to Betty Wood's Gender, Race, and Rank in a Revolutionary Age, Hannah Leion owned nine slaves, while the largest slaveholder in 1860 was Ciprien Ricard, who had a sugarcane plantation in Louisiana and owned 152 slaves with her son, Pierre � many more that the 35 she owned in 1830. According to economic historian Stanley Engerman, "In Charleston, South Carolina about 42 percent of free blacks owned slaves in 1850, and about 64 percent of these slaveholders were women." Greed, in other words, was gender-blind.

Why They Owned Slaves

These men and women, from William Stanly to Madame Ciprien Ricard, were among the largest free Negro slaveholders, and their motivations were neither benevolent nor philanthropic. One would be hard-pressed to account for their ownership of such large numbers of slaves except as avaricious, rapacious, acquisitive and predatory.

But lest we romanticize all of those small black slave owners who ostensibly purchased family members only for humanitarian reasons, even in these cases the evidence can be problematic. Halliburton, citing examples from an essay in the North American Review by Calvin Wilson in 1905, presents some hair-raising challenges to the idea that black people who owned their own family members always treated them well:

A free black in Trimble County, Kentucky, " � sold his own son and daughter South, one for $1,000, the other for $1,200." � A Maryland father sold his slave children in order to purchase his wife. A Columbus, Georgia, black woman � Dilsey Pope � owned her husband. "He offended her in some way and she sold him � " Fanny Canady of Louisville, Kentucky, owned her husband Jim � a drunken cobbler � whom she threatened to "sell down the river." At New Bern, North Carolina, a free black wife and son purchased their slave husband-father. When the newly bought father criticized his son, the son sold him to a slave trader. The son boasted afterward that "the old man had gone to the corn fields about New Orleans where they might learn him some manners."

Carter Woodson, too, tells us that some of the husbands who purchased their spouses "were not anxious to liberate their wives immediately. They considered it advisable to put them on probation for a few years, and if they did not find them satisfactory they would sell their wives as other slave holders disposed of Negroes." He then relates the example of a black man, a shoemaker in Charleston, S.C., who purchased his wife for $700. But "on finding her hard to please, he sold her a few months thereafter for $750, gaining $50 by the transaction."

Most of us will find the news that some black people bought and sold other black people for profit quite distressing, as well we should. But given the long history of class divisions in the black community, which Martin R. Delany as early as the 1850s described as "a nation within a nation," and given the role of African elites in the long history of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, perhaps we should not be surprised that we can find examples throughout black history of just about every sort of human behavior, from the most noble to the most heinous, that we find in any other people's history.

The good news, scholars agree, is that by 1860 the number of free blacks owning slaves had markedly decreased from 1830. In fact, Loren Schweninger concludes that by the eve of the Civil War, "the phenomenon of free blacks owning slaves had nearly disappeared" in the Upper South, even if it had not in places such as Louisiana in the Lower South. Nevertheless, it is a very sad aspect of African-American history that slavery sometimes could be a colorblind affair, and that the evil business of owning another human being could manifest itself in both males and females, and in black as well as white.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good excerpt:

Absolutely. The South were fighting for our nation's founding principles, and the North was fighting for empire. It was an extended repetition of Rome's Battle of Philippi, and the same side lost in both cases.
The south was fighting to preserve slavery which was the foundation of their society. Lincoln was fighting to preserve the country.

The south was about to lose the power to preserve slavery through their partial control of the federal government. When Lincoln was elected they lost that power and the next few states would most likely have been free states which would have given the free/anti-slavery states control of the Senate, Presidency and the House (I think).

[Linked Image from ]
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Lincoln was fighting to preserve the country.

Lincoln was fighting to maintain control of people who didn't want to be under his control.

In other words,...he was fighting in order to continue being the premiere slave owner in the nation.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
660,000 dead men. Quite the legacy.

Let's carve his face into a mountain to celebrate it!

Jezuz...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The south was about to lose the power to preserve slavery through their partial control of the federal government. When Lincoln was elected they lost that power and the next few states would most likely have been free states which would have given the free/anti-slavery states control of the Senate, Presidency and the House (I think).
One of our nation's founding principles was that a government only retained legitimacy so long as it enjoyed the consent of the governed. The South withdrew that consent, thus delegitimizing the Union as to the Southern States, after which point, the Union became tyrannical by definition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good excerpt:

The south was fighting to preserve slavery which was the foundation of their society. Lincoln was fighting to preserve the country.

That what they teach in Kalifornia schools now?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think the NAACP is offensive.....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by benchman

What does it [naacp] stand for, North American Apes Coons Possums?

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

I googled it, 'national association for the advancement of colored people'

Hey, that's [bleep] prejudice. crazy smirk

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Gunner

I googled it, 'national association for the advancement of colored people'

Hey, that's [bleep] prejudice. crazy smirk

Gunner
Damned right. If white folks wanted their help in advancing themselves, they'd shut the door on them just because of the color of their skin?? They must be bigots.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
This chitcan outfit must be bleeding 'acorn' blood. sick

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rush always sez:

'national association for the advancement of liberal colored people'

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm proud of my ancestors who fought for the Union and who served in Lincoln's Cabinet, just as many here are proud of their ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest, but it really seems to be a moot point to argue the righteousness of the cause, either for or against secession, nearly 150 years after the outcome was decided on the field of battle.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
True enough, I guess,...but a wise man once said, "The Truth Will Set You Free",...and Lincoln demonstrated that the truth is,..you're not free.

It's detrimental to the long term well being of Americans to believe that they are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well hells bells, northern dave got it right on p.1. There!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
^ Take a big damn chunk of coal for sure!

Find the finest sculptor and have him do a perfect image of the "O"
on a 6" piece of coal and embed in the mountain, it would be proportionate to his contribution to the advancement of the country.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2 pages on April Fools day....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
NAACP stands for, negros are actually colored poloks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunner

Primates.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm proud of my ancestors who fought for the Union and who served in Lincoln's Cabinet, just as many here are proud of their ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest, but it really seems to be a moot point to argue the righteousness of the cause, either for or against secession, nearly 150 years after the outcome was decided on the field of battle.

You might have missed the thread the other day.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7605814/1

Here's an exerted portion of the article linked in the thread.

This particular part of it is about descent into barbarism.
It's true, too.
We're sitting at the precipice of a new dark age, looking into the chasm and swinging our feet like a bunch of damned dumb kids.

Former "peace officers" dress and act like military occupiers. Violence in families and communities may increase as government promoted violence and efforts to counter it become common in society. Religious organizations change their philosophies to fit the warlike values of their many members that work for the police state or the military. Books, movies, and games become dark and war-centered rather than celebrating the happiness and excitement of productive pursuits or family and social activities.

Children want to honor their parents� endeavors so they learn to revere their parents� police-state and war-related professions when those professions become prevalent in society. The participation of ancestors in World War I, World War II, Korea, or Vietnam has resulted in a reverence for those wars in the minds of many, regardless of the basis for those wars. They don�t want to think that their parents would be associated with something bad. Murray Rothbard insightfully commented about "tradition" in The Anatamoy of the State, saying, "Worship of one's ancestors, then, becomes a none too subtle means of worship of one's ancient rulers." War on substances, just like war on anything has blowback and unintended consequences that affect society as a whole.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
[quote=ConradCA]

That what they teach in Kalifornia schools now?

Yes.
Many others, too.

Lysander Spooner had the best grip on the whole rotten mess of any I've encountered. Here's a portion quoted below.
And a link to Part XIX of the treatise he wrote.
From there you can find "The Constitution of No Authority" in its entirety. It is very well worth the read.
Especially to all who think they got a good handle on things... (translation: Reciters of propaganda who have no fricken clue what they're talking about.)

Here's a short, taken out for the lazy who won't even bother with what's in the box below, let alone Part XIX, let alone the whole thing.

"If their object had really been to abolish slavery, or maintain liberty or justice generally, they had only to say: All, whether white or black, who want the protection of this government, shall have it; and all who do not want it, will be left in peace, so long as they leave us in peace. Had they said this, slavery would necessarily have been abolished at once; the war would have been saved; and a thousand times nobler union than we have ever had would have been the result."

http://www.hiscovenantministries.org/mans_law/no_authority_19.htm

The pretense that the "abolition of slavery" was either a motive or justification for the war, is a fraud of the same character with that of "maintaining the national honor." Who, but such usurpers, robbers, and murderers as they, ever established slavery? Or what government, except one resting upon the sword, like the one we now have, was ever capable of maintaining slavery? And why did these men abolish slavery? Not from any love of liberty in general -- not as an act of justice to the black man himself, but only "as a war measure," and because they wanted his assistance, and that of his friends, in carrying on the war they had undertaken for maintaining and intensifying that political, commercial, and industrial slavery, to which they have subjected the great body of the people, both black and white. And yet these imposters now cry out that they have abolished the chattel slavery of the black man -- although that was not the motive of the war -- as if they thought they could thereby conceal, atone for, or justify that other slavery which they were fighting to perpetuate, and to render more rigorous and inexorable than it ever was before. There was no difference of principle -- but only of degree -- between the slavery they boast they have abolished, and the slavery they were fighting to preserve; for all restraints upon men's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree.

If their object had really been to abolish slavery, or maintain liberty or justice generally, they had only to say: All, whether white or black, who want the protection of this government, shall have it; and all who do not want it, will be left in peace, so long as they leave us in peace. Had they said this, slavery would necessarily have been abolished at once; the war would have been saved; and a thousand times nobler union than we have ever had would have been the result. It would have been a voluntary union of free men; such a union as will one day exist among all men, the world over, if the several nations, so called, shall ever get rid of the usurpers, robbers, and murderers, called governments, that now plunder, enslave, and destroy them.

Still another of the frauds of these men is, that they are now establishing, and that the war was designed to establish, "a government of consent." The only idea they have ever manifested as to what is a government of consent, is this -- that it is one to which everybody must consent, or be shot. This idea was the dominant one on which the war was carried on; and it is the dominant one, now that we have got what is called "peace."

Their pretenses that they have "Saved the Country," and "Preserved our Glorious Union," are frauds like all the rest of their pretenses. By them they mean simply that they have subjugated, and maintained their power over, an unwilling people. This they call "Saving the Country"; as if an enslaved and subjugated people -- or as if any people kept in subjection by the sword (as it is intended that all of us shall be hereafter) -- could be said to have any country. This, too, they call "Preserving our Glorious Union"; as if there could be said to be any Union, glorious or inglorious, that was not voluntary. Or as if there could be said to be any union between masters and slaves; between those who conquer, and those who are subjugated.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 04/02/13.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
At a hastily organized news conference today, the national president of the NAACP asserted that images of two of the presidents honored on Mount Rushmore, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, are "offensive and hurtful."

National NAACP president Rev. William Barber claimed that he was shocked Friday when he was shown a picture of the monument. Upon researching the memorial's history on Wikipedia, he discovered what he described as "disturbing truths" that require the site's "total demolition." Both former presidents were slaveowners.

One historian who disagrees is Civil War historian Kevin M. Levin. "I sympathize with Reverend Barber, and normally I do not disagree with black people, especially those who are bigger than me. But as a student of history, I think we need to appreciate Mount Rushmore in its historical context."

These arguments have not changed Barber's mind. "He is right that it has a historical context," Barber said. "But what is that history? The history of racism. The history of lynchings. The history of death. The history of slavery. If you say that shouldn't be offensive, then either you don't know the history, or you are denying the history."

When asked why the images of Lincoln and Roosevelt should suffer the same fate, Barber laughed. "They've been hangin' with George and Tom too long to be innocent. They had their chance."

April 1, sucka's

US History is what it is; flaws and all. Our history of racism is a black mark (no pun intended) on all of America; but that�s just our history. Washington and Jefferson were both slave owners who did truly great things for our nation. I thank them for their sacrifices and the innovation that made our nation what it is. And at the same time, I condemn their racism and their ownership of slaves. Jefferson was a great man who did so much for this nation and we truly wouldn�t be the same nation without him. Yet, he was the ultimate hypocrite and even fathered a child with one of his slaves which could even be seen as rape.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Washington and Jefferson were both slave owners ... I condemn their racism and their ownership of slaves.

As the direct descendant of slaves (okay, they were called serfs, but they were slaves), I have a politically correct point of view about these things, and I have to tell you, I have forgiven both Washington and Jefferson for owning slaves.

Completely, and utterly without reservation.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How is it we have to wait for perfection to appreciate someone's contributions?

I wonder if the good Rev is qualified to cast the first stone.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My great Grandfather was a slave owner.
I hear he was a nice guy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lincoln was fighting to maintain control of people who didn't want to be under his control.

I don't think people who maintain control of people who didn't want to be under their control have any right to complain when others impose control over them. What? People who enslave others are hypocritical to claim their own rights were violated when anything up to slavery is impose on them.

Had the slaves rebelled and overthrew their masters they would be comparable to the colonists who overthrew the King of England. Of course, the colonists might have lost if not for the help of France. Likewise, the slaves needed the help of the union.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
MacLorry chimes in on the side of big government.

Why am I not surprised?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
For those of you who still believe that Lincoln fought the war to end slavery,..You need to get over your 3rd grade history lessons.

http://condor.depaul.edu/tps/Abraham_Lincoln_an_Abolitionist_Lincoln_Quotes_on_Slavery.htm

From Lincoln�s Published Response to Horace Greeley, 1862

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The Real Hawkeye
One of our nation's founding principles was that a government only retained legitimacy so long as it enjoyed the consent of the governed.

The first fundamental principles listed in the Declaration of Independence is that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It's only to secure those rights that "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

Lincoln and many others of his day saw slavery as an affront to the most basic principle enumerated in the Declaration of Independence. Only those who believe in the validity of Adolph Hitler's idea of the "master race" would now disagree with Lincoln that all races of mankind "are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights." Therefore, the Confederacy by enslaving many did not have the consent of the governed, and thus, no legitimacy under our nation's founding principles.

The so-called war of northern aggression was fought to make the words of the Declaration of Independence true for all, not just for some who appointed themselves as the master race.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not for big government, but for truth and our nation's founding principles.

Why am I not surprised you don't know the difference?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Once again, MacLorry.

Lincoln didn't fight the civil War to end slavery.

Every military action needs a boogeyman story to tell the people.

Lincoln's boogeyman story was slavery.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those of you who still believe that Lincoln fought the war to end slavery,..You need to get over your 3rd grade history lessons.

http://condor.depaul.edu/tps/Abraham_Lincoln_an_Abolitionist_Lincoln_Quotes_on_Slavery.htm

From Lincoln�s Published Response to Horace Greeley, 1862

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause.

Anyone who believes the union wasn't split because of slavery only needs to read the actual Declarations of Secession from the various Confederate states to change their thinking.

It was for the institution of slavery that the union was split and preserving the union was Lincoln's purpose for going to war. If not for slavery there would have been no split and with no split there would have been no war, so slavery was in fact the reason for the war even accepting what Lincoln stated as true and not just political rhetoric (rhetoric like Obama saying he supports traditional marriage until he wins election twice).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once again, MacLorry.

Lincoln didn't fight the civil War to end slavery.

Every military action needs a boogeyman story to tell the people.

Lincoln's boogeyman story was slavery.

Take the time to read the actual Declarations of Secession from the various Confederate states and you'll see just how wrong you are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lincoln's struggle to pass the 13th amendment before the end of the civil war demonstrates that slavery was the underlying cause of the civil war and its abolishment was required to prevent the same cause of a future war.

In fact, eight months after the end of the war it was former Confederate states that put the 13th amendment over the top and into effect. Eventually all Confederate states ratified the 13th amendment, thus repudiating the institution of slavery as invalid and a just reason for secession in the first place. That people are not property should have been obvious, but economic interests often blind folks to the truth.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
http://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation

Since Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation as a military measure, it didn�t apply to border slave states like Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, all of which had remained loyal to the Union. Lincoln also exempted selected areas of the Confederacy that had already come under Union control in hopes of gaining the loyalty of whites in those states. In practice, then, the Emancipation Proclamation didn�t immediately free a single slave, as the only places it applied were places where the federal government had no control�the Southern states currently fighting against the Union.

You need to give up your elementary school view of history.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Here's as good of a place to begin as any.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo198.html

Lincoln instructed Seward to make sure that the amendment said that "the Constitution should never be altered so as to authorize Congress to abolish or interfere with slavery in the states" where it existed. In addition, writes Goodwin, Lincoln instructed Seward, who would become his Secretary of State, to get a federal law introduced that would have made various personal liberty laws that existed in some Northern states illegal. These state laws were meant to nullify the federal Fugitive Slave Act, an act that Lincoln very strongly supported. Far from putting slavery "on the path to extinction," these actions of Lincoln�s would have granted it more powerful government support than ever. Thus, Lincoln�s actions in late 1860�early 1861 were exactly the opposite of how Professor Striner portrays them as being with regard to the issue of slavery.

The white supremacists of the North were very pleased indeed with Lincoln�s assurances that he would do all that he could to prohibit black people from ever living among them, first by keeping them out of the Territories, and second by enshrining Southern slavery explicitly in the Constitution. He effectively promised to keep black people far away from such places as Boston, Massachusetts. Goodwin writes that when Seward went public and announced these actions to a Boston audience he was met with "thunderous applause."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As you say the Emancipation Proclamation was a military measure, and something that could be imposed by Lincoln only as commander in chief in a time of war. Once the war ended the courts of the day would have quickly struck down that wartime measure and the fundamental reason for the secession of the Confederate states, as expressed in their own documents, the institution of slavery, would have again been at the forefront.

Whatever you believe of how Lincoln viewed salves, it was to preserve the union that Lincoln went to war and to preserve the union from future secession that Lincoln pushed through the 13th amendment. That Lincoln didn't express anything other than equality under the law does not mean he did not hold that slaves were people entitled to the full rights of all other people. It means that to accomplish his purpose Lincoln expressed only that which was for political expediency of the time.

It's evident from Lincoln's last speech in which he publicly expressed his support for black suffrage, that he did in fact view slaves as men created equal and entitled to the full rights of citizenship. Only the most naive would believe that's a view Lincoln had not held from the beginning of his presidency.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I see no value in arguing a point that was decided decades before anyone who could possbily read this was born. What's done is done and can't be undone, even if some folks wish it to be so. Civil war is a tragedy, wherever/whenever, but the American Civil War happened so long ago that the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth is likely to have been blurred by the passage of time and the tellers of tales bending "the facts" to meet their perceptions.

When I visit a Civil War battle field, and I've visited all of the majors and many of the minors, I honor the bravery of both Union and Confederate soldier, Americans all.

EDIT: I will state for the record that I have found that some people who live in states that were part of the Confederacy have held on to their association with the Confederacy, either directly or indirectly, much more than people in the states that remained part of the Union. You hardly ever heard anyone in New England, where I was raised, discuss the American Civil War. My Father, being something of a Civil War scholar, was keen on the subject, but had few people locally to discuss it with, even though we lived in an Ivy League college town. My Grandmother, as keeper of the Chase, Dodge, and Tilton flame made it a point to visit all of the Civil War veterans' graves on Memorial Day and insure that their GAR flag stands were set at sunrise and removed at sunset. That made for me, when I was a small boy, a dull day traveling all over central New Hampshire to attend to that job, but some of those people were real to her and just names carved in stone to me.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/02/13. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the course of world history every race has both enslaved other races and been enslaved by other races. All races are then equal in seeing others as property and being held to be property. It's to be expected that slaves such as Spartacus would rise up against their masters, but for many of the race of the slave masters to take up arms against their own race to free another races is unique in world history. That it took from 1776 to 1865 to abolish slavery is not surprising, but that it happened at all is surprising.

Let Rev. Barber point to an example showing equality for blacks was tardy before he criticizes the founders of the only government in history to take up arms against its own to abolish slavery.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.