Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Anyone have experience with the breed? Starting to look at replacing my beloved Chocolate lab. Have done some reading and am interested. Have two boys 6 & 8 years old that want/need a dog. Have to confess that I miss having a good dog around.

Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A friend of mine who visits Italy often as part of his importing business has had Spinone for many years. He does NOT hunt them,tho; they are strictly pets. They seem to be very good pets and watch dogs and very obedient. They live inside with his family and are leash trained for exercise. He lives in Portland, OR in a fairly large house.

Hard to replace a Lab, tho. Good people.

If you like, I can find out where Pete gets his Spinone; don't know if it's in the Portland area or not. He may have brought the first one back from Italy.

I have seen some discussion of them as hunters on the website www.doublegunshop.com/BBS You might try a thread search there.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Mesa. There are a couple of breeders here in Wisconsin. One close to home and one near where we vacation up north. Seem like a nice breed. Probably stick with a lab but never know.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Personally I think it is impossible to beat a Lab for an all around friend/hunting buddy. They even tolerate blatant rookie misses!

I favor the lemon flavor, myself, but in snowy country, I'd go for chocolate or licorice.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick with a lab.
You know the breed and what to expect.
Why change?
If i had known labs were like this years ago, id have owned no other breed.

I like yellers too. Natural camouflage for where i hunt.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah,you guys are right about labs. Prolly go that way again. Saw Spinones on TV and just liked the breed. Also considering breeds with less shedding.

If I go with a lab, I want one geared a bit lower than my last. She came from field trial stock and barely touched the ground. Loved her to death but, dang, she was a ball of fire.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm a bit late finding this.

I have two Spins and love them. If there's a breeder near enough I recommend calling and going to meet their dog/s. They may also be able to direct you to an owner nearer to you that you could visit.
Since the Spinone is relatively new to the states you're less likely to encounter a less than dedicated breeder than you are with most other breeds.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Cowboy. There was a breeder near where I live but their website is gone. Not sure if they're around any more. I plan on visiting a breeder near where we spend a summer vacation up north.

Any tips when looking at the Spins?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to hunt at all with it find the nearest NAVHDA club. Most of the ones I have seen (an admittedly small sample) have not been hunting dogs. I know they are out there but....

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chuckbuster
If you want to hunt at all with it find the nearest NAVHDA club. Most of the ones I have seen (an admittedly small sample) have not been hunting dogs. I know they are out there but....

Thats what I would do. Find your local, or closest, NAVHDA chapter.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

K
K
Sorry, Im jumping into the game late also...

I recently met four Spinone. They are large dogs. Their coats vary. One of them had sleek but messy wiry hair (picture a lab on a bad hair day). One other one had very thick, very wavy wiry hair. These were both older. One of the pups (four months old) was pretty slick also, not as dense and thick as the older one, however it had already developed the characteristic beard and other facial features. They have very human like eyes. They are kind of goofy in their movements, and are interesting to watch. They have a noise which sounds like a growl, but with these four, it was just their way of talking, not a display of anger.

The temperament seemed great on all of them. I have spoke with three different breeders since I am considering one myself. Some of them are droolers, some of them not so much. They all get wet beards. Some people shave them off, but that's blasphemy to some owners. I have not heard a single person really say a bad thing about Spinone. A few people dont like the messiness of them, or think they are too big/slow, but I am very interested in getting one due to all the positive attributes they possess. I wont belabor those traits here as they are all over the web.

They dont come cheap however. This is probably why most people dont get them. Two different breeders have quoted me 1800, and 2000 a piece! I have to admit, I love the look and the personalities. I also like the fact that not everyone on the block has one.

I would love to hear some first hand accounts from owners or others who have been around them. I still am learning.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Oh, crap, I totally lost track of this.

The Spinone is a very social dog. They want to meet, greet and get to know everyone. Friendly is an understatement.

Since the Spin is relatively new to the US (they weren't even AKC recognized until 2000) they are few and far between. Unfortunately there are a few, very few, actually damn few, careless breeders so the chances of getting a quality dog are rather high.
A vast majority of breeders are truly dedicated to maintaining breed standards, and that includes the natural hunting abilities of their dogs/pups.

If/when you go to meet a breeder (they're going to insist on it), take the whole family. The misses, and children especially, will enjoy getting to meet the dogs.

Now, when I first started researching sporting breeds, for my first one, I had certain criteria that needed met. The most important being I can't go charging off across a section behind a fast and far ranging dog such as a GSP. The Spin was the only breed I found that works close by nature. I also wanted a breed that is not known for biting just anyone who comes inside the fence such as a meter reader or arrant child. I found only one instance of biting, and those two dogs deterred an attempted mugging/rape. Are they a good watch dog that will bark? Yes, just don't expect one to rip a burglars face off as he comes through a window. And last, I wanted a dog good with other household pets since we have cats.

[Linked Image]

Don't let that pic fool you, they have a very intense prey drive. They simply learn that some small animals aren't prey.

I guess the most important tip I could give is. When you first contact a breeder ask if their dog/s are on the DNA registry. They will either know what you are referring to, or they won't. I'll explain in a moment, but you don't want a breeder who's dogs aren't on the registry. Most all conscientious breeders will have had their dogs DNA run and will, to the best of their ability, avoid breeding carriers.

The registry will tell whether or not their blood lines are CA clear or not.
CA is cerebellar ataxia.
http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/library/articles/cerebellar-ataxia-ca-in-the.html
Do Not let this scare you off the Spinone. It is Not a breed specific condition. Any breed of dog can be clear, carrier or affected. It becomes a problem with the Spinone because there are so few of them compared to the more popular breeds like Wiem's or GSP's. With such a small gene pool, careless breeders pose a major risk.

Last edited by AsphaltCowboy; 05/29/13.

for themselves."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kdave21
Sorry, Im jumping into the game late also...

I would love to hear some first hand accounts from owners or others who have been around them. I still am learning.

To start off, if you have moles in your yard, get rid of them.
[Linked Image]
Their prey drive is that intense.
And yes, you are correct, they can be big. My white boy Leonard is a trim 96 pounds and still a big teddy bear around children. He and PeeWee both adore children and even try their best not to step on them when playing on the floor.

Oh, and the growl you spoke of, is a Spinone Woo Hoo. Lenny sounds more like a growl, but Peewee's is a very pronounced Aarooohrrooooo hoo.
[Linked Image]

They are also strongly people oriented, their people. They'll be darn certain to help break in a new recliner.
[Linked Image]

These are very intelligent dogs and they have a memory like a steel trap.
Your training technique must be up to par and consistent to the n'th degree. They will learn exactly what you teach them and if there is any variation they will pick up what they receive the most of whether it's what you intend or not. Likewise with your SO if you have one. Both of you need to be on the same wave length before you even start with the pup.

for themselves."
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks everyone! I will ask about the DNA. I also like the slower paced close working nature the Spins have. Also, on the friendy to kids comment, we have lots of neighbor boys coming and going all the time to play with my two boys. Social is a must.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another breed that seems very similar that seems to be a little easier to find, would be a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. If I lived up north in thick cover, one of those dogs would make my short list of breeds for sure.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Okay, after all that talk of Spinones, I went and got another Chocolate lab pup.
I wasn't going to get a dog until next year. I was planning on doing lots of research on breeders and visiting with them over time.
Then, a co-worker asked me if I knew someone who was looking for a Chocolate male. I figured my wife put him up to it (my wife and I work together). Nope. He thought I might know someone. We decided to go look and see the sire and the pups. After seeing the sire, I was hooked. He was exactly what I was looking for.

So, meet Chief! He's been nothing short of amazing so far. Working on some basic commands and just being a puupy so far.

[URL=http://s172.photobucket.com/user/Moosedoggg/media/Chief_zps57d75844.jpg.html]Photobucket[/url]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking boy.
Looks big.
How old?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
He was 7 weeks in that photo. He came home with us weighing 17lbs. Sire is 80lbs.

He's 9 weeks today. Already looks bigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It don't take long!
Mine is weigh about 85 now at almost 3. Hope he doesn't get any bigger. He is still filling out tho. Still looks like a lanky teenager.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good choice. Congratulations. Now you don't have to wait a year to have a great dog around the place.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks guys! toltecgriz, I was aksing my wife last night how come we waited so long to replace our last Chocolate. Should've done it long time ago. My almost 9 year old son had been the biggest surprise. He's been so helpful! I am very proud of him. The 6 year old, still has some growing up to do...but he will do it and having Chief to help take care of will help that.

I'll put some more pics up tonight hopefully.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Kids and dogs, a match made in heaven.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great lookin' hound ya got!

Congrats!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Look at the dome/forehead on that boy! Hes going to get big and I guarantee he will turn into a Rottweiler around your bots with anyone who threatens to do them harm. Gotta love labs!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here's Chief now. He's just a fantastic dog. He's a retrieving, swimming fool. Going through a phase where he's running by me briefly before delivering to hand but we're working through it.;)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had quite a bit of experience with one Spinone both in the field and as a trainer. Rocco belongs to a friend of mine and I get him for a waterfowl tune up after he has hunted upland for 2 months. Here's my opinion of 1 Spinone. Rocko is a 4 yr old and I have worked with him since he was 18 months he is huge 115 lbs, He has a great nose but I find him painfully slow in everything he does. He retrieves well from land and water BUT when the birds are dropping in to the deeks fast and furious the last thing I want in a retriever is one that makes all his retrieves with blistering glacial speed and that's Rocco. I have help steady him on point and again he does well but in Rocco time. He does have a great personality and id a big clown. Not my type of dog at all, you can always slow a dog down but it's hard to speed it up when they only have low gear.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BORN to HUNT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.