Print Thread
Hop To
G
greydog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I recently spoke with a barrelmaker at a gunshow and something came out of this conversation which I thought warranted discussion. When I asked the maker if he stress relieved his own barrels or sent them out, he replied that stress relief wasn't necessary since his barrels were cut-rifled.
The truth is that this is all well and good if the only stresses in a piece of barrel steel were those which may or may not be induced by the rifling process. If the barrel steel was perfectly normalized prior to any machining, cutting the grooves will not induce stresses as button rifling will. If the barrel steel is not perfectly stress relieved, the stresses will still exist after rifling and the barrel will probably warp when machined.
I mention this because many makers of cut-rifled barrels would have their potential customers believe that the rifling process is the only cause of stress in a rifle barrel. Ain't so folks. Steel may or may not be fully normalized prior to delivery. If it is not, the barrel should be heat treated to relieve stress prior to any machining of the outside contour. This regardless of the method of manufacture.
To state that a cut-rifled barrel is stress-free by virtue of it's method of manufacture is mis-information which really shouldn't be put out there. It is free of stress induced by the rifling method and that is all.
Over the years, I have had my hands on a half dozen barrels which warped when contoured. Half were buttoned and half were cut. None were stress relieved before or after rifling. By the way, I deal with this by simply not buying from that source again. Seems to work. GD

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have to agree with you GD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too. The act of boring a barrel induces stresses. As does turning. Mike (Dennis) Bellm who owned and operated P.O. Ackley's Custom Rifle/Barrel Shop back in 1980 always sent his cut rifled barrels out for stress relieving; including all rebores. He would hand straighten every one as well.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.