Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
So that not only will I become addicted to them, so will my buddy whom I am buying one for. Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. I think I will go with the small forest axe. Is there any difference between that and the hunters axe?

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much the same axe, but the hunters axe has a polished poll. The forest axe is cheaper and it drives stakes and hammers better.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of them.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small forest axe is the cat's everlovin' ass...

Carry mine on all hunting camping trips and sometimes just for S&G's on walkabouts...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad

But who actually carries a hatchet backpacking?

I have a KoA hatchet but I never carry backpacking. Too heavy and I cant figure out what I would do with it if I did carry it.
I do have a nice splitting maul that I leave at the wall tent for making firewood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan, only you could take a legitimate question and turn it into a pissing match.

I really fail to understand how I'm turning it into a pissing match, Brad?

From my understanding of your posts, you've been a backpacker since the 70's, and have bought and used, and sold more gear than most. Your outdoor roots are in backpacking.

I grew up packing horses for my overnighters... I didn't get into backpacking until the early 2000's, and there was a time that I tried to invent Bikepacking.

We grew up different in our early years. I'm a hillbilly... I take my axe.

But I am younger... I probably could piss farther.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crap...why do I feel I have a little guy on my shoulder whispering in my ear, "You NEED a GB small forest axe."

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Dan, only you could take a legitimate question and turn it into a pissing match.

I really fail to understand how I'm turning it into a pissing match, Brad?

From my understanding of your posts, you've been a backpacker since the 70's, and have bought and used, and sold more gear than most. Your outdoor roots are in backpacking.

I grew up packing horses for my overnighters... I didn't get into backpacking until the early 2000's, and there was a time that I tried to invent Bikepacking.

We grew up different in our early years. I'm a hillbilly... I take my axe.

But I am younger... I probably could piss farther.

You presume you know how I grew up... you don't.

My first horsepack was in 1969. I grew up with "woodcraft" that always included and axe. I just got away from it when I took up backpacking, but I still would/do pack an axe going horseback or by canoe.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I hear ya snubbie. I have a Forest Axe, gifted by my dad. It is always in my snow machine toboggan and gets a work out to feed the wall tent stove. It is also along on every moose hunt by canoe. It isn't backpack material.

After this thread, dang if I don't think a small forest axe will fill this niche better and save some weight...and it's "only" $120!

On another note, I've been debating the hatchet while backpacking decision. We are trying to do a 3-4 night ski trip with packs this spring using a roll up stove and tarp shelter. It sure would be nice to have the hatchet along, but it sure looks heavy sitting there on my floor. The sawvivor is a given.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a buddy who has every GB axe that is available, but he never uses any of them.

There is a retailer a short drive from here that carries the full line of GB axes. In the same aisle are the axes made here in the U.S. by Estwing.
For my money the smaller Estwing sportsmans axe is the smallest and lightest useable axe I have ever held.

If I were buying a full sized axe today, I'd be tempted by the GB stuff.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've done a LOT with one of the Estwing axe's. Love it,I only wish the handle wasn't hollow, and the shaft right below the head was a little beefier.

MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a guy in AK tell me that Estwings are popular there because wood handles get brittle in extreme cold. I know that's true (as it is for metal also) to some degree, but is it a real issue?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No. That's BS.

I hang an Estwing on my saddle to balance a rifle and if a horse lays on it, it won't snap and I can bend it back to useable.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jockc
I had a guy in AK tell me that Estwings are popular there because wood handles get brittle in extreme cold. I know that's true (as it is for metal also) to some degree, but is it a real issue?

I've always heard that really hard steel, like the face of a claw hammer or a file, could shatter in something like "Delta Junction/ -50F cold" but that estwing isn't made of anything that brittle.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by jockc

I've always heard that really hard steel, like the face of a claw hammer or a file, could shatter in something like "Delta Junction/ -50F cold" but that estwing isn't made of anything that brittle.

That's his point...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I guess it depends on what one is hitting with hardened tool steel.

even frozen green birch won't be a problem.

Just don't file your hammer face at -50.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ironbender

Just don't file your hammer face at -50.

I'll try to heed that advice. I'd like to live in the interior, even Delta Junction, but the little woman ain't too keen on it. I guess I'll have to settle for Montana.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
lived there for 18 years. I've had enough of that cold [bleep].

I could be a snow bird.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
a have both the "hunter" ax and the belt hatchet. I don't use the hatchet much and the hunter has a rounded poll for skinning, but it's super sharp!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.