Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
parshal Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've searched all over and have found discussions of all types on the way to "measure" length of pull but I've not found much on it's comparison to shotgun LOP. All my shotguns have an LOP of at least 14.5" and some are near 15". I'm 5' 8" and have a 32" arm length so I like a pretty long LOP even on my waterfowl guns where I wear a nice thick jacket.

I'm going to order a McMillan stock for my rifle and was wondering what LOP I should order. Since I don't have much to test with I'm guessing it's better to order it longer and be able to remove stock to shorten rather than have to add spacers to get it to a longer length. I'm thinking of ordering a 1/2" pad with an LOP of 14 1/8". I can change that to a 1" pad if I need more LOP or cut it shorter if it's too long.

For those that have fitted shotguns, what LOP do you have in your shotguns vs. LOP on your rifles?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Shotguns longer LOP, rifles shorter. No one can tell you what LOP you need, except yourself.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
parshal Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlesore
No one can tell you what LOP you need, except yourself.

I know rifle is shorter but, typically, by how much? So, I was hoping people might post what they use for each so we could see if there was a trend between the two.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On my guns, about 1" diff. Close to 15" on shotguns, 13-3/4" on most of my rifles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i am 5'9" with a 34" arm (at least that is my shirt size) and a stocky build.

my gunsmith spec'd 13 1/4" LOP for the first stock he ordered for me and i now have 3 different rifles with that stock length.

Standard is 13 1/2" - i have one of those sitting in the safe that will be used on a hard kicker build (300 bee or 338 wm) i can feel on the horizon.

I love my rifles at 13 1/4" - fit me well and just feel better when i am bringing them up. I do notice my shotguns being LONG now though.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old thread, but never been much into shotguns, so you shotgun folks chime in.

Is it common that shotguns have a longer LOP? What is considered standard? Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Around 14.25".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So is this for easier swinging? Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Like my shotguns long and rifles short.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Someone help us understand why shotguns need to be longer LOP than our good fitting rifles? What advantage is gained by this awkwardness?

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Having them different lengths makes no sense to me, except perhaps with a rifle intended only for prone (where you might want a bit more LOP) or if you'll only use your rifles in the winter with a heavy coat on, and your shotguns only in the summer wearing no more than a shirt.

They should all fit so that when you bring the rifle or gun up to your face it is pointing at the target, the root of your thumb is about 1 - 1 1/2" from the tip of your nose and, if it has sights, those are directly in front of your aiming eye. I even have guns which have both shotgun and rifle in one, and it would be a bit of a conundrum if it really was necessary for them to have different LOP for each barrel.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shotguns 1 inch longer 14.5" and rifle 13.5". That is just the way it is.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rifle and Shotgun fit are very different!

A rifle is designed for shooting at non-moving target. Yes I know we all shoot at targets that move as well. I just hope that there aren't many on here shooting at game animals running 20+ miles an hour with rifles!

A shotgun is designed to be swung several different methods at the target that is moving at speeds!

Both Rifles and Shotguns have more to their stock design than just length of pull. No adding an inch generally isn't going to be the norm from rifle to shotgun. Anyone that says that has no clue about stock fitting.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

A rifle is designed for shooting at non-moving target. Yes I know we all shoot at targets that move as well. I just hope that there aren't many on here shooting at game animals running 20+ miles an hour with rifles!

A shotgun is designed to be swung several different methods at the target that is moving at speeds!

Both Rifles and Shotguns have more to their stock design than just length of pull. No adding an inch generally isn't going to be the norm from rifle to shotgun. Anyone that says that has no clue about stock fitting.

I often shoot game that is on the move with rifles. I've had over several decades practice at it, and have shot any number of running rabbits, hares, deer, pigs and even buffalo with rifles. There are any number of people shooting more or less stationary animals with shotguns too, such as turkeys. I don't think that is the difference.

Of course LOP isn't everything. Drop, cast, toe and pitch all play a part. So does the grip shape and angle. People probably pay more attention to fit with shotguns than rifles, but I do agree that there's no "rule" that your shotgun should have a different LOP to your rifle.

BTW one exclamation mark was probably more than you needed, let alone three of them. ;-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I often shoot game that is on the move with rifles. I've had over several decades practice at it, and have shot any number of running rabbits, hares, deer, pigs and even buffalo with rifles. There are any number of people shooting more or less stationary animals with shotguns too, such as turkeys. I don't think that is the difference.

Of course LOP isn't everything. Drop, cast, toe and pitch all play a part. So does the grip shape and angle. People probably pay more attention to fit with shotguns than rifles, but I do agree that there's no "rule" that your shotgun should have a different LOP to your rifle.

BTW one exclamation mark was probably more than you needed, let alone three of them. ;-)

You are my new hero!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Here are some extra exclamation marks for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just make everything fit like a Browning Auto-5, done!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great comments, and the link above, thanks everyone! Many variables...more than just LOP. Good stuff.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Shotguns 1 inch longer 14.5" and rifle 13.5". That is just the way it is.

This ^^^^^^^^ works for me. Can't explain it. It just works.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 204guy, 51 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.