Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I have some new info for those following what Forbes Rifle is doing up in Maine. The 24B is being made now for the 6.5x55,.280Rem and 35 Whelen. That is in addition to the .270Win, 30-06 and the 25-06.

Stainless barrels are coming in and will be available shortly for all calibers. Stainless actions probably available in 2014.

Short actions, the 20B, are being designed for the .243, .308 and 7mm-08.

Four new paint colors will be offered. An OD camo, a hunter green, earth brown and coyote brown. The black/gray granite is still available.

In the future (2014/2015) will be 3 magnum calibers with a new action.

As always, everything will be available in left handed models.

So, that is your unofficial news from the people at Forbes Rifles.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/09/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Rick and I have exchanged several emails and I changed the stock color on the 20B 243 I have on order.

It may be a while before it comes in, but it's going to be worth the wait! I'm anxious to see how close it actually comes to the 4.75lb advertised weight.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How much are the stainless short actions going to run

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a stainless 7-08 on order too, but I have no idea on the price!

The stainless 24B has a suggested retail of $1499. I ordered both rifles through Forbes at the same time and was "cc'ing" my dealer on all emails. I'm no FFL, so they'll work out a price then my FFL will give me the number. The dealer takes good care of me, so I'm sure they'll treat me right.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
How much are the stainless short actions going to run

He quoted me $1470 on the 24B. I wouldn't think the short action would be much different.

New options out there to think about.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/09/13.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm waiting for 20B to rebarrel to a 250 AI. Love that petite little action.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd imagine they'll be several guys rebarreling over time. The 3" mag box allows lots of room to play.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Of course I don't have any sales figures for Kimber, but they do have pages and pages of auto pistols. I presume they have a long backlog of autos to build. That might take them away from their lightweight rifle market share. There has been quite a dry spell for Kimbers on the gun sites, although one from Idaho has quite a few for sale. This could open up an advantage for Forbes if they can keep product coming out in a reasonable delivery time and of course make no concession for quality control.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Agreed. I definitely think Kimber gives handguns top priority....and if they're more profitable at that game, so be it. They have to thrive and survive.

In my opinion, had Forbes jumped in the game initially with a stainless 20B you'd see more 84m Montana's for sale now. If they keep QC and production in check, they'll grab a big share of the lightweight market.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The one I bought here from Tennessee and a group shot this morning with 180 gr Fed Soft Point Factories
Burris 4-12 Mini

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't beat that. Those rifles sound awesome...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
What stands out for Forbes Rifles is: Melvin. This fellow will talk your ear off about rifles if he had a chance. He built himself from the ground up, undoubtedly made mistakes, corrected them and improved. This is the type of dedication that should keep his brand very high in the QC arena. With most of the kevlar stocks being made now in Maine, he was very meticulous to teach the technique to ensure his highest standards. Hopefully the new arrangement continues to do things right and increase their market share.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/10/13.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I have some new info for those following what Forbes Rifle is doing up in Maine. The 24B is being made now for the 6.5x55,.280Rem and 35 Whelen. That is in addition to the .270Win, 30-06 and the 25-06.

Stainless barrels are coming in and will be available shortly for all calibers. Stainless actions probably available in 2014.

Short actions, the 20B, are being designed for the .243, .308 and 7mm-08.

Four new paint colors will be offered. An OD camo, a hunter green, earth brown and coyote brown. The black/gray granite is still available.

In the future (2014/2015) will be 3 magnum calibers with a new action.

As always, everything will be available in left handed models.

So, that is your unofficial news from the people at Forbes Rifles.

Interesting, thanks for the info bigwhoop.

Any idea on the twists?

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
What stands out for Forbes Rifles is: Melvin. This fellow will talk your ear off about rifles if he had a chance. He built himself from the ground up, undoubtedly made mistakes, corrected them and improved. This is the type of dedication that should keep his brand very high in the QC arena. With most of the kevlar stocks being made now in Maine, he was very meticulous to teach the technique to ensure his highest standards. Hopefully the new arrangement continues to do things right and increase their market share.

I can't help but wonder if Melvin hopes/plans to see Forbes eventually cannibalize NULA. Based on the reports and reviews I've seen, the Forbes offers everything a similarly chambered NULA does for 1/3 the price. There will always be some who want custom options, but Melvin almost certainly narrowed his own market with the Forbes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe this is Melvin's retirement plan? I've heard mention that his family isn't directly involved and he needs succession. I'm not calling Melvin old, but everybody thinks of calling it a day sooner or later.

If this is the case, I consider it another one of his brilliant ideas. If Forbes thrives, he (and his heirs) may make more money in the long run.

The most successful people I know didn't do it by themselves. They surrounded themselves with individuals as capable (or more so) than they were and let the business grow with the help of many.

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 04/10/13.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 24B with a stainless barrel in 6.5x55 would certainly be a neat one, provided it is twisted right.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
A 24B with a stainless barrel in 6.5x55 would certainly be a neat one, provided it is twisted right.
Wonder if a 6.5X284 would clean that up in a re-chamber and feed from the mag????

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JPro

I too wonder how the twisting is gonna go? I was kinda thinking 243 and possibly punching 6-284 since it has the 3" box. Also curious about throating?

Anyway carry on and thanks for the new info.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Maybe this is Melvin's retirement plan? I've heard mention that his family isn't directly involved and he needs succession. I'm not calling Melvin old, but everybody thinks of calling it a day sooner or later.

If this is the case, I consider it another one of his brilliant ideas. If Forbes thrives, he (and his heirs) may make more money in the long run.

The most successful people I know didn't do it by themselves. They surrounded themselves with individuals as capable (or more so) than they were and let the business grow with the help of many.

I think this is exactly what the man has in mind.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I could like a blued action with a S/S Bbl. in a 280 Rem.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.