Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently picked up a Stevens 425 and took it down to bare parts to clean and fix it. While I had it apart I figured I would snap some photos of the internals if anyone wanted them. Except for the axle spring they use for a hammer spring the rifle resembled a Marlin pretty closely. One of the parts that needed work on mine was the loading gate which was staked in place and the staking was loose, binding on the bolt. Was everyone else staked or riveted on? I took my time and cleaned up the old post and using a punch and a steel backer staked/riveted it back in place. She's running like a champ now. Hope this helps someone. Sorry, some of the photos are of parts prior to cleaning them, my photographer (mama) was only available midway through the clean up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good new to me information. Thanks.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was asked in a PM to describe the basic takedown procedure that I did to take mine apart.

1.Take Buttstock off, single screw on tang.

2.Hammer Spring is exposed and has a yoke that rests in groove of a stop screw on the lower tang. This thing sucks to get off. There is a groove for a screwdriver to push it down, but I couldn't get enough into it. The spring will not shoot anything across the room, it just doesn't compress easily. Once this is off it's even funner getting it back on again. I am not a fan of pliers for any gun work, but in this case I locked onto the yoke piece with a set of vise grips that have jaws that open up to encircle the stop screw. By putting the barrel down on a piece of carpeting I was finally able to get enough leverage to push down and lift the yoke past the stop screw. I do not recommend or even keep pliers on my bench, but had to in this case.

3. Remove Hammer Pivot Screw and then remove hammer out the top.

4. Remove Lever pivot screw and remove lever with attached carrier bar.

5. Remove screw on the bottom of receiver towards the front. This attaches the lower tang, then remove the left side screw which is also holds the lower tang. Tang can be removed by sliding back 1/16th and remove upwards.

6. Carrier can be removed

7. Unless the staking or riveted loading gate has to be fixed don't remove it. You can wiggle the bolt and the little slider fixture out past it, without taking it out.

To do this the bolt is slid back until the nose can just pass the edge of the loading gate then pull up on the attached slider piece. The slider piece runs up and down in a groove and will be obvious when you take the gun apart. wiggle and pull up and the two will come out as a unit, but are not attached, so don't drop them. This allows you access to clean the inside of the receiver.

8. There is a picture where I am using a Q-tip to point to a hole. The 2nd piece of the firing pin is held in place by that screw. Remove the screw and the pin comes out the back with spring. It can only go back in one way as the screw is offset to one side of the pin.

9. Restaking or removing the loading gate. As stated mine was loose so was binding on the bolt. I punched the the pin out from the outside and then cleaned up the pin that was remaining. By resting it on the side of my anvil and tapping lightly all the way around I was able to "Draw" the metal back out into the same diameter of the pin. Once this was done I took a tight fitting block of steel to act as a backer for the pin, inside the receiver. By using a punch and working lightly and tapping around the face of the pin, it riveted the pin back into place. I kept at it until the loading gate spring was flush inside its groove and would no longer bind the bolt as it moved down into it's open position. This is the same technique I was taught for riveting ejector springs into place for Remington 870's.

Hope this is helpful

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ryan, thanks for posting this. I have a rough one (my second) that needs some work - the only thing I had been informed of about these before was how difficult it was to get the hammer spring back in, which you confirmed.

Mine is either missing the arm that cocks the hammer, or it is broken. It also is missing the little flipper piece on the inside of the loading gate - so your instructions there will be a lot of help, hopefully I can find a way to fix that without taking the loading gate completely off - but it doesn't look like it, I think I will at least have to take out the hammer & lower tang.

Gene
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gene, as best as I could tell the flipper piece was riveted in place too. There is no obvious attachment piece other then the post that it's attached too. The lever that cocks the hammer looks pretty stout if it's still there I would think someone good with a welder could tig it back up or straighten it if it's bent.

I am hopeful that I never have to take that hammer spring out again, in my lifetime. I am sure someone has a trick to get it in or out. Maybe an arbor press set up to depress is while someone holds the rifle upright underneath it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for the info , still waiting to get my first 425.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow, nice find. Stevens couldn't have made too many of these and finding one would have to be like finding a needle in a hundred hay stacks. Kind of reminds you of a Marlin, which also have a soft spot in my heart.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
A friend of mine just bought one and the bolt would bind up. The rivet needed to be restaked. Now all we have to do is replace the spring.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That was happening with mine as well. Retaking and smoothing it out did the trick. Good luck. Ryan

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I also have a stevens 425 in 30 remington, serial #1080 mine was sticky opening the lever, like it was stuck. Holding the lever to the right while opening, it worked smoothly, but putting pressure to the left when opening, it would not open. Being right handed, naturaly putting pressure to the left, it is hard to open the lever. Grr. So i took the thing apart to see if something obvious was binding. I saw some grit and crud, so cleaned it and oiled all parts. Getting all the parts back in went fairly smooth, until that dreaded hammer spring. I was about to give up when i thought of a ratchet tie down as a tool to compress the spring. I made a loop with braided fishing line, doubled over a dozen times, then hooked one end of the tie down in that loop, the other end in the barrel. The other end of the loop went in the fork of that piece that hooks on the stop screw. I had to clamp wood on the sides of the lower tang and a shim to keep the spring aligned. The used the rachet to compress until it went into place. Yahoo

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Sorry that was a long winded response, but it did work, after getting enough wraps on the braided fishing line, so it didnt break. I thought about making the loop out of wire, but how to get the wire off? Cutting the braid was easy to remove. Maybe i should have left it in there for next time?

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Does anybody know what size the tang peep sight and the receiver scope mount screws are on the stevens 425?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I doubt that Stevens 425s were ever factory d&t for scope mounts based on the era that it was made.

I don't recall seeing a Lyman or Marble's tang peep sight cataloged for the Stevens 425, but assume that those made for he Marlin 1893 would have the same footprint.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Their catalog shows a telescopic scope mounted on top, and all 4 of the stevens 425 that i own are drilled and tapped on top of the receiver and drilled and tapped on the tang. I have seen them with a tang mounted peep. I believe you are correct about the footprint matching other tang mounted peeps. I removed the plug screws, but i can not determine what size they are. Close to 8-40? I was hoping somebody has been down this road and knows the size.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Stevens 425's and the Visible Loaders used a very narrow hole pattern for the peep sights, much narrower than the Stevens standard of 1.5", under 1". These were both designed by Edward Redfield, I do not know why his designs had the odd spacing. The 425's used a sloppy #8-40, the plug screws on one of mine measure a few thousands more than a standard #8. I tried a #8-36 but that is not correct, it starts but binds up. The Visible Loaders use a #5-44 with a large head the same diameter as #8 screws.

Lyman, Marble's and even Watson made tang sights for these. They must have made more than there are guns since they often are found 'new in the box'.

They are all drilled & tapped with two holes on the top of the receiver for a scope mount. Stevens had a special scope & mount for these that used a solid mount, the first listing describe it with internal vertical adjustment only, later as also having internal horizontal. The scope was only listed a couple years with some later catalogs having it over stampede as 'DISCONTINUED'. This is the only model scope Stevens made with internal adjustment. The scope has a long eye relief and mounts with the eye piece about even with the front of the hammer. The front mount uses the barrel sight dovetail.

Some tang sights - topics/16348596

Last edited by GeneB; 02/08/23. Reason: added link

Gene
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Are those #5-44 screws hard to find? The 8-40 was quite sloppy. I dont know if this is possible, but considering mounting a flat based picatiny base, weaver rings and an old weaver 4x scope.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Jim, I have a tang sight on one of my rifles,and another new in the box. I'll look and see what the number on the sight is.I have never checked the screw size. I know the rifle action is not that rugged someone had used some hotter reloads in one ,and Ed Lander the old local gunsmith had to fix it. smile Don

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Lyman tang sight has HP stamped on the bottom.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Is there a part number? Maybe you want to sell your extra one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.