Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Commodities tend to move in lock step, Will.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if you know of a safe place to invest would love to know. I got out of the market at 14000 and stop buying gold at $1300. Sold off gold last December.

So much contradictory info, misinformation out there now very difficult to find a place to put investments.

Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The metals selling websites are all crashing and burning with the number of folks clamoring to buy. Their servers can't handle the volume.

I am surprised you can hear that over the screams of the knife catchers who have bought every dip on the way down. smile

Ah well, they aren't alone. Been a whole lot of folks who ~finally~ backed the truck up and loaded down in stocks. 4 years into a historical bull market. With landmines going off all over the globe. And conflicting economic indicators flashing green and red all over the place.

When you have a market this dependent on Fed largesse it is VERY tough to find a safe place to hide.

Will

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
if you know of a safe place to invest would love to know...

I'll make you a deal, if I find one I'll let you know about it.

I've made some terrible investing mistakes in the last several years. I got out of the stock market right before the crash in 2008. (Very good move)... but then I stayed in bonds. (Not a good move) I continued to buy stocks with fresh money from the crash onward (Good job) and even took a good bit of the gains off the table when the all time highs came in. (Great job) But I left a lot of it on the table. (Bad move!!!) Went long energy in 2008. (Good job) But also invested in alt energy (Shakes head sadly)

I guess I am a lot like quite a few folks. Sometimes I do smart things and sometimes I do dumb things. The crash in 2008 and the housing bubble bust were so easy to see it was scary. Now? An absolutely unprecedented market.

Long term I still believe gold will be a good investment. But IF this is a symptom of bad things in foreign lands taking shape I have to remember what happened to gold the last time we had a serious market correction/crash. Gold wasn't immune, it was tanking like everything else.

Maybe I am just a cautious person? I'm sure as hell not someone who could sell investment advice. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You can put me on that need to know list , if you would, Penguin.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The metals selling websites are all crashing and burning with the number of folks clamoring to buy. Their servers can't handle the volume.

Just tried Monex and Goldline and their sites are respoinding just fine.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball

+1

I went into a stable value fund around DOW 14000 after catching a 5% gain in January, missed the last 800 point run up. I'm waiting to re-enter stocks, but I'll be patient. If I catch another 5% this year I'll be ecstatic .... smile.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball

Will do... man talk about waiting for a horse to come in. smile

I guess one of the biggest lessons I have learned in investing may not be applicable to anyone but me. It is this: I have a certain personality and for me to have any peace of mind I have to stay within the bounds that my personality is comfortable with.

I am so cautious with money that it just isn't in my nature to take huge gambles and when my Spidey sense goes off I follow it. Sometimes I win and sometimes I don't but I never forget my planned retirement age. Never beat them in the quarter mile.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you are looking for a safe haven then you truly have to define what you mean by safe haven. Safe can mean liquidity, stability, inflation protection, etc.... Those things can be independent of each other.

I feel a better approach to investing is that each and every investment you have must have a compelling reason to be in your portfolio. Whether it is any that I mentioned or say dividends for example. If the compelling reason you own an investment is for rising dividends then ask yourself in times of turmoil "Has the compelling reason changed?" If not, don't sell and maybe consider adding to the position.

If it has changed then you must figure out a way to unwind the position if it is not at a point of fortunate liquidation. You can bet that every investment that you own (or just about) will have a time of turmoil and these gut checks are important.

YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
if you know of a safe place to invest would love to know. I got out of the market at 14000 and stop buying gold at $1300. Sold off gold last December.

So much contradictory info, misinformation out there now very difficult to find a place to put investments.

There is no ONE safe place to put your money. I invest in TIPS, muni-bonds, and stocks. All my investments pay dividends, some each month, some each quarter, some at the end of the year. Today with the stock market down sharply I'll lose money on stocks, but the increase in TIPS will more than likely cover the loss and I'll have an overall gain for the day. I make money on the dividends while the value of different types of investments seesaws back and forth.

I buy and sell as investments rebound off the bottom or ricochet off the top. Think of it as a ratchet system that climbs the wealth tree. The bigger the waves the faster it climbs.

Yes, it takes some work to know what to do and when, and you have to keep an eye on what the Fed is planning so you don't get caught invested in the wrong thing at the wrong time.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Be cautious on the TIPS. There are two components to TIPS. The interest rate and the inflation adjustment. Since there are two, then the interest rate is very low.

This low rate causes the TIPS to have an unusually long duration. What they don't tell you about TIPS is that a rising interest rate environment to combat inflation will crush the TIPS value due to the long duration.

You should be good on the muni bonds for a while depending on issuer.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, there's risk in TIPS, but I have made a load of money in them. The trick, as with any investment, is to know when to buy and sell. The good news with TIPS is that the Fed gives lots of warning as to what will trigger it to move one way or the other.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Fed mainly controls the short end of the market. They cannot control a more normalized yield curve on the longer end as easily. That is what can sneak up on the TIPS.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
My stocks are doing well, especially the pharms and my real estate is down about 3% due to one dog I own and can't unload.

I know a guy who can take what's under his kitchen sink and turn it into a 1000 bucks a day. The rub is he's looking at 3-10 years.

Last edited by RISJR; 04/15/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Based on advice from my neighbor , who is an astute investor, I invested in REITS 2 years ago. They have been paying well so far.

Sitting on sidelines with investments for the time being

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The yield is so low on TIPS that there's little downside risk from that aspect. TIPS are being used as a safe-haven when stocks are in retreat, like today. Unlike gold, there's no built-in spread between the buy and sell price of TIPS and if you hold them through a mutual fund, they pay dividends.

The trick will be to sell them at the right time.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MacLorry

Until you try to buy something.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RISJR
My stocks are doing well, especially the pharms and my real estate is down about 3% due to one dog I own and can't unload.

I know a guy who can take what's under his kitchen sink and turn it into a 1000 bucks a day. The rub is he's looking at 3-10 years.

Same here on biotech, constr/housing, transportation, Japan and even my relatively low risk lifecycle fund.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The yield is so low on TIPS that there's little downside risk from that aspect. TIPS are being used as a safe-haven when stocks are in retreat, like today. Unlike gold, there's no built-in spread between the buy and sell price of TIPS and if you hold them through a mutual fund, they pay dividends.

The trick will be to sell them at the right time.

The yield being so low is exactly why there is a risk of downside in rising interest rates. The low rate creates an unusually long duration. Long duration bonds react inversely to interest rates.

TIPS risk article 1

TIPS risk article 2

TIPS risk video

It really starts at about the 2:45 mark. The interviewer brings up the ability to get out of them quickly if needed. You can see the manager's hesitation of even he being able to do it in a timely fashion.

I realize you have done well in the TIPS and you should have with the longer duration favoring them with lowering rates. My comments about caution is when rates rise due to inflation. That is what can take the TIPS investors by surprise.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Until you try to buy something.

I think I believe MacLorry's experience over yours.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Longbob
I think I believe MacLorry's experience over yours.
Don't trust me. Do what I did. Call them and ask why the online process that's normally smooth is constantly crashing during the sale process. They'll tell you it's heavy volume. Then try getting an agent on the phone, or even getting one to call you back. Same deal. Unusually heavy sales volume is the reason they'll tell you.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.