-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking at this stuff, I remember the Mythbusters where they tried to get a hammer to shatter. They couldn't get a new hammer head to shatter, so they tried an old one, and still couldn't. I forget the context, but I gather it would be very hard. I've dropped some very hard steel. I dropped a freshly heat treated knife blade on the cement floor more than once, and have never shattered or chipped one. An ax head would not be so hard. I can guarantee my Estwing ax is much softer. I sharpen that puppy with a 400 grit belt in a couple minutes. The metal doesn't put up as much fuss as sharpening a lawnmower blade does. It goes away fast. I put up the little video there from Ray Mears. I've got to say, I kind of made my own GB ax out of an old one I had in the garage. I ground about a pound off it, reshaped the head, and I stuck a 19" handle on it. I'm doing a bunch of brush clearing with it. I agree with Ray Mears that the shorter the ax, the more dangerous it is. I kneel down to use the little ax when I can or chop on the opposite side of the tree/log... I've had big felling axes and you have that distance from the big long handle. The little ax, you don't.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I think this year I am going to purchase a Gransfors ax I am leaning more towards the wildlife hatchet as opposed to the mini. I am not to concerned with ultralight hiking as most of my trips are overnight or two days at most. Also any recommendations on a aftermarket sheaths. I plan on buying two one for a gift

I have the Mini and the SFA. I've never found a use for the mini that a 4" fixed blade or a little saw didn't take care of. -- just like having the Mini, I guess. The SFA is a good tool and easy to carry (compared to a felling axe, anyway). If I'm camping in a rig or on horseback, I'll take a 35" double-bit every time. I've got an old Sager that I like a lot. I make my own head covers out of saddle skirting leather. You wouldn't confuse them with factory-made (I'm getting better at making them look nicer) --- But they are really stout.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If a longer handle is safer, why not get the forest axe model instead of the small forest axe when they both have practically the heads?

Other than the helve length then, the only difference between them is the minor weight difference of an extra about 5.5" of wooden handle which is about 1/8th lb. <-- that's why I'd go for the longer one smile

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/actual-weight-of-axe-heads.html

Last edited by alukban; 04/10/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of each... I would've guessed the Scandanavian was quite a bit heavier than that.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It is in a sense... at the longer lever arm provided by the extra 5.5", which is where it gets it additional cutting power.

When it is in your pack however, you won't be able to tell the difference.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Having a friend that (nearly ie took the top of his finger nail off) and having all the GB axes mentioned and some others, I now use a Bahco laplander and a "bushcraft" knife and use that to batton.
I was finding that I was taking to many risks with cutting fire wood and kindling and had 1 or to close shaves myself then when the above happened that for me was that. Husqvarne (sp)have some very good axes which I believe are made by Hultfers (sp)

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm surprised how many people backpack with an axe.

Is it used primarily for wood? Or breaking down big critters?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Wood.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used my shaving sharp gerber to open a few elk chests.....its quick, but as said, one slip and you could bleed out on the hill.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

It's alright little buddy. Not everybody lives where there is trees.

I did use my Small Forest to skin my last whitetail. It works better than you'd think. You don't need a fancy polished up poll, and when you hit tricky spots, use the sharp side (duh) But these days, I pretty much use the gutless method, so I don't see me taking apart a critter with an axe anytime soon.

I'm Irish...

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hunters Axe

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by acesandeights
Hunters Axe

The Hunters Axe (on top) clearly lacks the mojo that the Small Forest has (on bottom)

[Linked Image]

Also worth noting is that the GB Small Forest weighs only 8 ounces more than the one handed Fiskars/Gerber hatchet.

I'm Irish...

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Hunters Axe

The Hunters Axe (on top) clearly lacks the mojo that the Small Forest has (on bottom)

[Linked Image]

Also worth noting is that the GB Small Forest weighs only 8 ounces more than the one handed Fiskars/Gerber hatchet.

True, and a very practical choice!

However, the mojo factor is even higher on the Gransfors Bruks Swedish Viking Ax -- but not quite as practical! smile

[Linked Image]

I don't know if Gransfors Bruks exports their historic axes, but they sell them here in Sweden. I think I need a Viking Axe for my wall... wink

John

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

I did use my Small Forest to skin my last whitetail. It works better than you'd think. You don't need a fancy polished up poll, and when you hit tricky spots, use the sharp side (duh) But these days, I pretty much use the gutless method, so I don't see me taking apart a critter with an axe anytime soon.

So you use it to chop wood?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Split wood, make lawn furniture, build log cabins, backcountry [bleep] construction, various other bushcraft type projects, and most importantly....

Running through the trailerhood with my beard braided while yelling ODIN!!!

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jpb

True, and a very practical choice!

However, the mojo factor is even higher on the Gransfors Bruks Swedish Viking Ax -- but not quite as practical! smile

[Linked Image]

I don't know if Gransfors Bruks exports their historic axes, but they sell them here in Sweden. I think I need a Viking Axe for my wall... wink

John

NICE!!!! I like it a lot laugh The Trailerhood would never be the same.

I have seen one of their trade tomohawks before. But I've never seen any THAT cool.

I'm Irish...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Travis

So you use it to chop wood?

Travis

Exactly.

That viking axe looks really cool jpb, I'd like to put my paws on one.

MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hunters Axe

I don't get it ?

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hunters Axe

I don't get it ?

You're not alone.

Travis

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
For me I think its more of a nostalgia kind of like the difference between a custom knife and a Walmart knife. I like the mountain man image as opposed to the city slicker.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.