Print Thread
Hop To
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I posted a while back on a thread about the Ruger American and was asked to provide an update so here it goes. I am not a gun writer/reviewer so don't crucify me for my opinions - they are worth what you just paid for them!

I have wanted one of these for almost a year. I wanted a short action version and just couldn't warm up to getting one in .243 or .308. I kept telling myself "maybe they will make one in 7mm-08 one day". Well they announced in January the 7mm-08 and 22-250 additions along with the Compact models. No excuses any more so when I found one at a local Sportsman's Warehouse it just had to come home with me.

My goal with this gun was to create a lightweight treestand and walking deer gun that swings fast but can still reach out a little ways if needed. The Compact version interested me but the 18" barrel was a concern if I need to take a 300 to 400 yard shot (a distinct possibility where I hunt). I just saw one in .308 at a gun show and it was small. May have to get another one sometime!

I debated the scope options for this one. 3-9x was the max I wanted to go, and I wanted to keep the cost reasonable. I picked up a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x with the ballistic plex reticle from a member here. I chose it for two reasons - I have a Burris 3.5-10x50mm on my 30-06 and am very comfortable with the reticle and scope function and it was a good deal! I had a Bushnell 4200 3-9x so I was seriously conflicted as to which one to use. I weighed each one and the Burris was 13.0oz vs. the Bushnell's 14.4oz. That was not the deciding factor though. My good friend has the same 4200 on his 30-06 and was looking for another one for his .308. This allowed him to have the same scope on both rifles and me to have the same style on both of mine. I compared the two scopes before I let the 4200 go and I admit I let the better one go. The 4200 has the better eyebox and brighter glass. I am still happy with the Burris.

On to mounting the scope. The Ruger comes with Weaver #46 aluminum bases. I bought a set of Burris Signature Zee rings in their lowest height available, Medium. The picture below shows this setup:

[Linked Image]

I was not happy with this setup. The scope was just too high for my liking and I really couldn't stand the sharp corners of the Weaver bases. I decided to drink the kool-aid and finally try a set of Talley lightweights.

Talley's website clearly states the model number as 930725 for the low rings for the Ruger American. The package, while it has this model number, doesn't list this gun on it. Instead it says "Savage 12, Stiller Predator, T/C Venture". This confuses the hell out of the average counter help at the sporting goods stores! Anyway, here is the setup with the Talley's:

[Linked Image]

I bore sighted the rifle, picked up several boxes of Federal Fusion 140grn and headed to the range. I set a target up at 50 yards so I knew I would hit paper and aimed at the top left target. I busted the center target perfectly! (see below). I cranked the scope 16 clicks up and left and fired another one. To my surprise it was still two inches low and right of my target. I fired a 3rd shot just to verify. It was right beside the 2nd (head scratcher time....). Then I remembered I was at 50 yards! Turning another 16 clicks up and left I fired the 4th round. I could not have made a better hole in the center if I punched it with a pencil.

[Linked Image]

I moved the target to 100 yards and fired 2 shots to make adjustments at this distance. At this point the barrel was warm so I should have let it cool (I didn't). I then fired a 4 shot string to check for accuracy. I know I pulled one (top right hole) but overall I am quite happy with the setup. Based on the first couple of shots I know this setup is easily MOA and definitely minute-of-deer at the ranges I plan on using it for.

[Linked Image]

How the rifle shot: I was quite happy with the function of this gun. The cartridges loaded easily into the magazine and fed flawlessly through the gun. Lowering the bolt took a little more force than my other guns but I suspect this is due to the newness of the gun and the short bolt throw. The trigger was crisp with no creep. I have since removed the action from the stock and lowered the set screw adjustment to lighten the trigger. I suspect it was around 5 pounds from the factory.

Overall I am very happy with this setup. I do wonder if I could use the extra-low rings but couldn't find a set.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice write up. I plan on having one in 22-250 soon. Seems like a heck of a rifle for the money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well shoot it some more, I am going to bet that you cut that group down a bit. Those are good rifles for the money. I am thinking about a 243 myself.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am certain Burris makes their Zee's in low. I have several on different rifles.

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I was using the Burris Signature Zee's, the ones with the plastic inserts. Their website only shows medium and taller.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This will be the next bolt gun i buy. Thanks for taking the time to review it, and post it up.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Thanks for the info. They seem like nice guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks good with those Talleys too.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have you shot it anymore

Tater
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The Compact version interested me but the 18" barrel was a concern if I need to take a 300 to 400 yard shot (a distinct possibility where I hunt)

You: Damn Fred, I missed a nice buck at 325 yards this morning.

Fred: How do you think that happened?

You: I would have made that shot if I had an extra 4" of barrel

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The Compact version interested me but the 18" barrel was a concern if I need to take a 300 to 400 yard shot (a distinct possibility where I hunt)

You: Damn Fred, I missed a nice buck at 325 yards this morning.

Fred: How do you think that happened?

You: I would have made that shot if I had an extra 4" of barrel

That's funny! laugh

Thanks for the nice writeup. Seems like it should do the job nicely.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.