24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
gentlemen and hopefully ladies. Please bear with me as i do a little ranting.
today i got out my savage's and did some shooting.

my 284 would only shoot 1 1/2 inches no matter what i did with the loads.

my 250-3000 with loads that last year shot .75 inch i could only get an inch.

my stevens/savage 22 hornet would only go into 1.75 at a hunderd. discusting!.

my only conclusion is that i need a new gun. Like a 99 in 30-30!
Maybe a 300? never had one. ah! I know a 358!better yet a 375 winchester! that would cure what ails me i'm positive. think i'm on the right track?

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/25/13.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or at least found the cure!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Darn it. Stinking lever guns are just no good.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FB you are so right! Lever guns are trash, got any you want to throw my way? might cure what ails me! saw a 375 on gb for first bid of 1500.00 think i'm getting sicker!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
on a more serious note(though ny need of a new gun is serious) i need some help with my stevens 322 in 22 hornet. i really cant get it to group at 100 yrds. have tried all weights of bullets,h110,4227,2400,4198 and can't keep them in 4" for 5 shots.
worked on the stock som but am limited by the barrel clamp on the forearm. about the only thing i havn't done is recrown. any and all suggestions welcome.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Re-crown and loosen up the barrel clamp. We used to have the same problems with the M73 machine gun on the M60 Tanks. The tighter we screwed down the barrel jacket the less accurate the gun was. When we loosened it up the better it shot. You gotta let the barrel do its thing. It's gonna vibrate and the more you snug it down the less its able to vibrate and do its thing. The more you tie it up the worse its gonna shoot. JMOOMV. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
on a more serious note(though ny need of a new gun is serious) i need some help with my stevens 322 in 22 hornet. i really cant get it to group at 100 yrds. have tried all weights of bullets,h110,4227,2400,4198 and can't keep them in 4" for 5 shots.
worked on the stock som but am limited by the barrel clamp on the forearm. about the only thing i havn't done is recrown. any and all suggestions welcome.

Send it to Oregon with ammo and for the paltry sum of say, $100, I'll wring that thing out for you! grin grin

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All in all, that sounds like pretty fair accuracy for a couple of hunting rifles. Bottom line, if you can keep your shots on a pie plate at whatever is your self imposed max hunting/shooting distance, off your hind legs and half out of breath, you're good to go. Tiny groups off of a sand bagged rest are interesting from a technical standpoint, but don't have a lot of real meaning in the real world of hunting. That said, it sounds like you are like me and are a master at rationalizing the need for a new gun! smile

Skids advice re: the barrel band would be the first thing I would look at. Are the scope mounts/rings tight? I never had much luck with H-110 and 4198 in the Hornets when I messed with them. I stuck with 2400 and 4227. I hear lots of good stuff about L'il Gun powder accuracy-wise, but also hear that it burns ferociously hot and hastens throat erosion. That is all hearsay, as I can't speak for it from personal use.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/26/13.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for the input. i am really happy with all but the hornet.
i will try the recrowning and loosening the bb. it really hates 35 grainers witha 9.5 inch spread. also won't shoot 55g's can't find the paper with them. weird! guess i'll stick with 40-45 g's or find that "NEW RIFLE!" would like to try lil gun but the closest gun store is 80 miles from the place. then there is no telling if they have any. internet buying cost way too much for shipping so guess i'll use what i have.thnx again.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
fireball, missed your comment,wringing out a reluctant gun is what keeps me breathing nowadays. though if you have something like a 375 winchester in a 99 you would like wrung out i'll swap for a while!lol have a 375 in a winnie so have all the dies,molds etc. think that is what i need in a "new" gun.a 99 i think.thanks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You keep talkin' 375 and I'll keep postin!! grin Problem is, mine's done been all wrung out!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ma! were is my drool bib? soooo nice.that forearm is one i've never seen. you have me hooked fb. never been able to get groups close to that with my 94. gonna keep trying.

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/26/13.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fireball ,nice brush gun ,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Total highjack.
Norm, still working on the 16" carbine project and 375 barrel you sent me... So far I think I may have the correct stocks, barrel, receiver with bolt... I have need of more knowledge on pre vs post mill interchangability of parts.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
fireball, i printed the picture of your 99 and hung it by the calender in the kitchen with the notation "birthday ideas".
we'll see what mommas humor is like! think i'll try to sell some winchesters and find a 99 like yours.very nice.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.