Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
My brother in law and I had a great time in Zimbabwe, hunting with John Sharp.

[Linked Image]

Shot the zebra at maybe 80 or 90 yards. He was looking right at me and I hit him dead center of the chest, maybe 6 inches above shooting right under him. He did not react at all to shot, simply ran off with the rest of them. While I felt good about the shot, this was the first animal I shot at and John looked at me like I whiffed him. The guys in the back of the truck didn't even know which animal I shot at. I felt pretty low for a few minutes until we found him dead as a hammer about 75 or 100 yards away.

[Linked Image]

This guy was maybe 75 yards away, quartering towards me pretty hard, (he was not quite facing me head on). I hit him on the right hand side of his chest, right where I was told to, and he buckled and ran 30 yards. A jackal ran up to him, while the dust was still floating, licked him and then went and laid under a bush about 10 yards away, waiting for something to come help him unwrap his delivery supper. Jackal didn't make it to supper.

[Linked Image]

shot this through both shoulders and it made it about 30 or 40 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wanted to shoot my rifle, rather than borrow something larger, so I had to shoot this guy in his neck or head. I was told to shoot him right under the mane if I didn't have a straight on shot at his neck. I got too excited and shot it right dead center on the neck, from the side. He turned and ran directly away from him and I shot him in the right side of the back of his head. I had my scope on 1.5 and saw the impact and him fall like a ton of bricks. I was busy patting myself on the back, when John said you might want to shoot him again. I look up and he is up and off to the races. Third shot goes right next to the first one, middle of the neck, from the side. I pause to load another shell (I failed to replace the wildebeest shot) and the fourth one caught him about an inch below his ear. Fortunately, this was the most excitement we had.

The buffalo was pleasantly uneventful.
[Linked Image]

I was shooting my 35 Whelen that Sterling Davenport built, loaded with 200 grain triple shocks over 60 grains of Reloader 15. The guys found one bullet, the wildebeest shot. This bullet did not hit any substantial bone and managed to retain about 60% of its weight.
[img]http://i746.photobucket.com/al...-8f8d-bbd144afbb97_zps61f548dd.jpg[/img]

All in all, I don't think that I could have had any more fun. I will be saving my pennies until I can get back over there and hunt buffalo or lioness with John. The Bubye Valley Conservancy is a remarkable place and I consider mice elf fortunate to have been able to spent some time there. We saw 4 of the Big 5 while hunting, no leopard.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's great stuff!

Your zebra kill reminds me of mine on day one of my first African Safari. I knew I'd made a good hit, but he acted like nothing had happened, running off with the herd and causing me to doubt. He was piled up 80 yards away.

I guess I was a bit excited on my giraffe too, as it took multiple head shots to anchor him, although the first one put him on the ground immediately.

Thanks for sharing!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Looks like a great hunt! Congratulations. Seems that .35 Whelen of yours did very well indeed.

Tell us a little about the "uneventful" buffalo please, looks like an interesting rifle was used.

Guy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a great experience. That is one dark old stink bull giraffe. Congrats on experiencing the Bubye and a great hunt with a great PH.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great hunt Willow. That double looks like John's Rigby. Were you hunting leopard or you just didn't see any? Also did you see any sable? I've hunted with John twice and have booked for leopard in 2015. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats on a great trip1 Nice pics. Hunting Africa is very addictive, it won't be your last trip....grin

maddog

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats on a very sucessful safari!

On my first safari I got real sick of people telling me I'd missed an easy shot, only to have a dead animal a short distance away. TSXs don't give much visual confirmation of a hit. Belting them through both shoulders usually takes care of that, switching to A-Frames takes care of it better.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great hunt. It's amazing how everything goes right when you book with a top notch professional. I would love to hunt with John some day and have already hunted with a few greats- Buzz Charlton and Jamy Traut.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a great hunt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That giraffe is a beauty. Nice dark old stink bull!

Looks and sounds like you had a good hunt with a legendary PH.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Guy, that is John's Rigby, used as a prop only.

Jorge, we saw one sable while we were hunting. seeing one makes you wish you had a "1" on your license next to "Sable" rather than "nil." One of our friends was hunting leopard while we were there. We had a big thunderstorm mid way through his 14 days and it set back progress. He is planning his return trip for another shot a leopard.

As to the triple shocks, if anyone wants to trade some .35 caliber Aframes for some 200 grain TSX, I'm your guy. While I only saw two triple shocks recovered, I wasn't impressed with the weight retention. Mine lost all 4 petals and the other one I saw (from my buddy's 375) had maybe half of one petal. Granted everything died like it was expected t and many TSXs weren't recovered, so I've no real problems with the results, I just wanted a pretty copper flower like I see posted and didn't get one. I'll go back to mushrooms over flowers.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is how TSXs work! lots of damage when the petals break off and the rest punches through and gives you two holes and NEVER any bullet failure. I was a big A Frame user and went to the TSX for that exact reason. Pretty mushrooms but the penetration just wasn't there.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful animals.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
thanks for posting those great pics....you have no idea how many of us get our vicarious "Africa fix" this way.....

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations on a very nice hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much for the box of 300 Savage?

Congrats on your success, good stuff

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations!! That was fun to read and really makes me want to do Africa!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done willow! You sure hunted with a great outfit and even though I have not met John Sharp, he has a good name down here and is certainly well known as a top notch PH.

Nice trophies and we look forward to hearing the buffalo story in great detail.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great Post, congratulations on the fantastic hunt! I love to hear of the 35 Whelen being used anywhere, but especially in Africa.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Nice post. Congratulations on the hunt. I haven't read too many stories of people using a .35 Whelen in Africa, so extra points to you for originality. smile

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.