Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck
Ruger stock, look at the ten year results. clicky here

I'd get walnut...don't like those synthetics

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
BP-B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

The only problem there is that gold is really inflated right now. Add to the fact that those aren't really gold coins with any value other than gold content & they're a bust...The only reason gold is where it's at now is because of the world economy. If there comes a time when food/fuel are scarce, good luck with trying to get your money back or trying to buy groceries with those coins...

Yeah,...I've heard all of that too.

The big central banks have tons of the stuff,..and they don't lose money.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-buying-most-since-1964-commodities.html

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

The only problem there is that gold is really inflated right now. Add to the fact that those aren't really gold coins with any value other than gold content & they're a bust...The only reason gold is where it's at now is because of the world economy. If there comes a time when food/fuel are scarce, good luck with trying to get your money back or trying to buy groceries with those coins...

Yeah,...I've heard all of that too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-buying-most-since-1964-commodities.html

Bloomberg huh??? Does he maybe suggest artificial sweeteners???

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I made a suggestion.

Do what you want.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
What's a whole-life insurance policy run on a newborn these days? I'd be looking in that direction, based on what you've said.

Why insure the kid? Whole life builds up a modicum of cash value (variable universal life would be better), but the portion of the premium that is allocated to the insurance policy is just wasted as far as savings is concerned.

The fact that you may borrow against the policy tax free is pointless since so much of the earnings would end up being tax free due to the kiddie tax rules for quite a while.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Vanguard funds is where its at.

Just get one of their life funds, and let it ride.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would put it in a life fund (say year 2030) as noted above though I prefer Fidelity over Vanguard.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
What's a whole-life insurance policy run on a newborn these days? I'd be looking in that direction, based on what you've said.

Why insure the kid? Whole life builds up a modicum of cash value (variable universal life would be better), but the portion of the premium that is allocated to the insurance policy is just wasted as far as savings is concerned.

The fact that you may borrow against the policy tax free is pointless since so much of the earnings would end up being tax free due to the kiddie tax rules for quite a while.

My parents did it for me when I was very young and I am pleased with the annual statements that come in the mail. The annual cash value pays the premiums and builds value each year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Silver

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Coca-Cola.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a good advisor. Ignore mutual funds. They under performed for me. The advisor we've had for the last 4 years has reliably increased the value of our portfolio by carefully selecting stocks that are undervalued and pay dividends. Our portfolio out performs the markets. I often wonder what the portfolio would look like if I'd had him since I started investing, rather than all those wasted years in mutual funds.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Coca-Cola.

Thinking about it. Everything is super high right now, but if I reininvest dividends, ride out an 18 year ups and downs, todays prices might be cheap, or expensive in 18 years. Who knows. I'm sure dividends will be reinvested cheaper than the current price.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AB2506
Get a good advisor. Ignore mutual funds. They under performed for me. The advisor we've had for the last 4 years has reliably increased the value of our portfolio by carefully selecting stocks that are undervalued and pay dividends. Our portfolio out performs the markets. I often wonder what the portfolio would look like if I'd had him since I started investing, rather than all those wasted years in mutual funds.

I hate mutual funds.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by shreck
Ruger stock, look at the ten year results. clicky here

That was a buy at 42. I did..(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
My newborn daughter received some gifts at birth. Have $500 to invest. Planning on a stick and stay, make it pay approach, with dividends reinvested. I'll be adding monthly to her brokerage account, as well has adding her AK dividends (about 1k a year) to it.

Any suggestions? Costs $7.95 a trade, and I don't plan on selling. It'll be under my care for 18 years.

Calvin

Be smart. Nothing out performs index funds over time. You win every time, no maybe. If you want to be aggressive, then go to Las Vegas, otherwise do the index fund.

http://www.fool.com/mutualfunds/indexfunds/indexfunds01.htm

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
J
Consider planting some walnut trees, if you or family members have a suitable place where you can control access...

The initial investment is low, maintenance is cheap, and the ROI is phenomenal if you let the investment mature properly over 25 to 30 years...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Life Membership to the NRA for a start

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

deleted.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Costco is to anti gun for me to ever invest in them and support their take your guns agenda. I don't need money that bad.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by bea175
Costco is to anti gun for me to ever invest in them and support their take your guns agenda. I don't need money that bad.

No problem. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

The question was where to put the money for safety and relatively decent return on your investment.

If you add anti-gun/pro-gun into that mixture, it is likely that the $500 will sit in the gun safe. Happy landings with that grin

I wrote more very good stocks just now but deleted it. Prolly wouldn't make the grade. I apologize for making you angry.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
756 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.