Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
It sure is nice to have both the toughest in scopes and the best in customer service. E

I've never had to use S&B's customer service.............................. grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
If you had betweeen $1,500 and $2,000 to spend on a scope for deer hunting only.......Which would you choose??

Leupold VX-II 3-9X40

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
HOGGHEAD -

My choice would be a Leupold 2.5-8X with a B&C crosshair, but if you want more magnification you would not be wrong to to with the 3.5-10X B&C version instead.

If I wanted more low-light ability, maybe go with the 30mm in a VX3L. Not sure, might have to go to their custom shop to get all the features in one scope but it'd still be way within that budget.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you had betweeen $1,500 and $2,000 to spend on a scope for deer hunting only. Max power necessary would be in the 10X to 12X range. Shots to about 400 yards. Absolute best low light capability. Low light capability being more important than higher power, or other options. Illuminated reticle?? Pros and cons for the illuminated reticle on a strictly deer hunting scope??

Which would you choose?? Please be specific. I have my ideas, but I am interested in what some of you other guys think. Tom.

For all the guys that gave good serious answers---thank you.

For the guys who wanted to argue?? Well I just don't understand that. You should start your own arguing thread. Not gum up a post where someone is really looking for the experience of others.

I am a handicapped hunter. And now all my hunting is fixed position hunting. In the more open areas. I am looking for something that gives the best clarity and works in the worst conditions. Including cloudy, overcast rainy situations, and low light conditions.

I am looking at one of the Zeiss 3X12X56's that Doug has listed. I am also very interested in the straight S&B 8X56. I did have a 3X10 S&B that I liked. And I do have three AV Swaro's. I am just looking to build one ultimate deer rifle for the hunting that I will have to do for the rest of my life. So I am selling off some stuff and ordering a very nice Cooper rifle. And I want the best scope to mount on top. So for you guys who want to argue about those parameters. I say-Please don't. Tom.

I bolded the points that make the following picks fit for you. This is what I would look for in the same situation...not what I'd pick for where and how I hunt now or for an all around scope for most hunters, but for you.

1. Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 Precision Hunter 30mm Riflescope with Mildot or DH rect

2. Swarovski 2-12x50 Z6 30mm Riflescope with Plex or #4 Rect

3. Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope with Z-plex or #4 rect

My reasoning is based on the following:
1. longer shots
2. these all have high quality glass
3. you'll be in a fixed position (good rest) not moving around so the weight/size makes little difference
4. go with whichever is heaviest and darkest rect...which is sometimes hard to tell...it would be much better to look through them to determine this, but a light reticle can be lost in low light even if the glass is good
5. look at the ease of elevation/windage adjustments as well since stalking closer isn't an option
6. look at which have the easiest focus to use as it becomes important at the higher powers and longer ranges...don't want to fight with one that is hard to focus.
7. larger objectives can give you a larger exit pupil which can help get a sight picture especially if you're in an awkward situation and can't get behind the scope just perfect

Again, just my 2 cents base on your specific criteria and the hunting situations and physical conditions (handicap and terrain/light) you listed. I don't have experience with any of these, but they are where I'd start.

Good luck on your search!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you had betweeen $1,500 and $2,000 to spend on a scope for deer hunting only. Max power necessary would be in the 10X to 12X range. Shots to about 400 yards. Absolute best low light capability. Low light capability being more important than higher power, or other options. Illuminated reticle?? Pros and cons for the illuminated reticle on a strictly deer hunting scope??

Which would you choose?? Please be specific. I have my ideas, but I am interested in what some of you other guys think. Tom.

I shot a deer last Fall right about before dark.
420 yards away and I shot the wrong buck. You could see horns through the VX3 6x42 but couldn't distinguish

Why limit the range to 10 X-12X? I purchased a 5-25X52 z5 Swarovski for my all around hunting scope. It goes on my .25 SLR when it get back from the fun smith. In the mean time it is goes on the Savage with the .257 Weatherby Magnum barrel.

The illuminated reticle is cute, but adds weight. The idea of so much magnification eliminates the need for a spotting scope. Without more magnification there have been a few times when I could not make out antlers on game I found. Someone had to tell me which one was a buck. Now I don't have to go to another glass or a budy.

Last edited by Ringman; 05/05/11.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
if i had the money to do it, id have a 2.5-10x56 trijicon accupoint on my deer rifle..thats just me tho

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For hunting whitetails in Michigan, it is hard to beat my Weaver 2.5X fixed power scope on my Savage 99 Featherweight. Light weight, great field of view, large exit pupil, 100% dependable. 200 yard shot are no problem, thats about all we get here in the northern lower.

Last edited by 300Savage; 05/05/11.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
FWIW...

The best low light capability parameter leaves scopes like the Summit and other thin reticled scopes like it out of the running IMO.

Have an S&B or two and Summit, as wonderful as S&B glass is, does not hold a candle next to a 6x42 S&B with the heavy #4 reticle in very low light. Did lots of comps this spring with that particular 6x42 and am impressed. Whitetail scope!

Have no desire for an illuminated reticle for deer hunting and simply cannot understand how an IL can outperform a non-illuminated heavy reticled scope, unless you have a center section on the NI reticle that is too wide....which could easily be the case on a FFP scope at higher power.

Re low light, and needing to spend that kind of moolah...first choice: S&B fixed 6x42 or better the 8x56 S&B, if you can stand the big objective with #4 reticle, and then either a S&B variable w/56mm objective & A4 reticle or Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 w/#4 reticle.

Defend the Constitution
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have owned and hunted w/the Schmidt and Bender 2-12x42 Klassic since 1998. I have killed untold deer and hogs w/this scope up to and including up to and slightly after dark. When this scope is set to 6-7X it has no peer in my opinion. I do not like the 50mm scopes having had two before buying the 42mm. Most guys buy 3 or 4 scopes to do different things. I say save your money, say $1000-$1100 and wait for a nice used one to come along. This scope on a fast high powered rifle(pick your caliber)is the best stand-bean field rifle a man could ever own. powdr

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
For those that do not know this the OP has passed on , roughly a year or so ago. He brought a lot of good information to these topics. Good Guy

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My apologies and I hope he got to do what he intended.

tom

Defend the Constitution
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,278
Posts18,448,479
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.