Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I purchased a Ruger No.1 action with the intention of having it built in 22lr. The action is on the large size but I wanted a falling block.
This week in a Columbus Ohio Big Box Store I ran across this for what I see No.1 Rifles in factory chamberings sell for
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am one gun away from happy
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's perfect. It even has rabbit and squirrel engraving!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you put a scope on it?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Clarkm

It is drilled and tapped. I see the new Win 1885 rifles have full octagon barrels and this is 1/2 round but I would assume the mounts for current production would work BUT Winchester gets $135 for the new mounts !!
I think a scope would not add to the looks of this rifle

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd rather have a tang sight on that beauty than a scope, any day !

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Originally Posted by Clarkm

It is drilled and tapped. I see the new Win 1885 rifles have full octagon barrels and this is 1/2 round but I would assume the mounts for current production would work BUT Winchester gets $135 for the new mounts !!
I think a scope would not add to the looks of this rifle

Depends on the scope. A Fecker or Unertl small game scope, and MVA B5, a half dozen others would be perfect. And they would mount on $35 blocks.

[Linked Image]

That is a much nicer rifle than a converted #1. But if it needs a trigger job - you need to contact Lee Shaver.

Last edited by BrentD; 05/05/13.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A Leatherwood 3/4" scope (3,6, and 8X I believe) might also work if your eyes demand a scope. If you want to hunt, but can't SEE without a scope, these traditional scopes mentioned look fine, IMO. Recent article on them in "Rifle" magazine (as "Malcolm" scopes; apparently they are a copy of that original. Although I am told their mounts suck...)

NICE Hiwall, Brent! Is it an original or a later clone?

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mesa,
That is a low wall actually. An original action that I built into a custom rifle. It is mostly a competition rifle and has a bunch of tricks built into it.

The Malcolm scope is alright. I had one. The mounts would be fine for hunting. Not for competition.

The OP's rifle is a very nice rifle, that I assume is a new-made Browning or Winchester variant of the original 1885. If so, they can have one major issue in the trigger - which isn't major at all in the end as it can be fixed quite cheaply.

Paul39 has two of these. I believe he is selling one, or maybe already has. The other is he has tricked out a fair bit, but he is a competition shooter too.

Low walls are just about the prettiest rifle ever made in my opinion.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry, I need to get my eyes aligned right! Or maybe left...

I'm going to have a shooter lowall (actually a Winder Musket converted to centerfire) for sale fairly soon, a "parts gun" that looks pretty good and shoots better. Have to get my son to post pics for me, tho so it'll be a while.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What centerfire was it converted too? This is, I believe a thick-tang low wall. The best of the best, in my opinion.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mine was relined to .25-20 WCF using the original 28" .22 LR barrel (which was REALLY badly rusted inside from the old .22 ammo. Or somebody cleaned it with iodine...).

Thanks for the info in the Leatherwood mounts; encouraging.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is on consignment on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=340018288

Brent and others are correct about scoping these single shots. They work and look best with vintage style externally adjusted scopes, but must be drilled and tapped for the blocks.

One problem with mounts for modern scopes is the varying barrel contours. To line up properly with the rear mount on the receiver, the front mount must end up the correct height, which depends in part on the barrel. I don't know what mount choices there are on the current market.

BTW, contrary to rumors that have circulated, none of the Miroku 1885 .22s had "match grade barrels and chambers", and the only difference between the Grade I and Grade II is cosmetic. They are basically production rifles like most others, not semi-custom. The Browning/Winchester/Miroku BPCRs with Badger barrels are another matter.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.