Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Does anybody make a lead-free shotgun slug for use in smoothbore barrels? I'm aware of various copper and alloy slugs for use in RIFLED shotgun barrels, but not for smoothbore.

Reason: I booked a hog hunt in CA for next winter, optimistically assuming we will actually HAVE another winter....

Want to use my 12 ga/.308 Savage combo, which was very successful in my last TX hog hunt. We'll be hunting in the "Condor protection area" where non-lead ammo is required (Don't let's go off on a sidebar here: DON'T get me started....).

While I will primarily rely on the rifle barrel, and have excellent Barnes copper .308 ammo (actually what I used in TX), I like to keep the shotgun barrel loaded with a "stopper," just in case. We aren't allowed to shoot hogs with buckshot, so it would have to be a slug. Are there any that will comply with the non-lead mandate? Will copper slugs in a sabot shoot at all accurately in a smoothbore, say "minute of hog" at 15 yards?

Any help/info/experience greatly appreciated! Tryin' to plan ahead....

Last edited by Mesa; 05/03/13.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know of any Lead Free slugs but Ballistic Products ha Lead Free ITX Buckshot that you could load some real stoppers for your shotgun at that range.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX-Original-10-Shot-00-buck-325-bag_7-lbs/productinfo/TX00BK/

Last edited by erich; 05/03/13.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The lead-free sabot slugs should shoot fine for close in work, like that 15 yards. Get some and give it a try. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I will try the sabot slugs; they should be going fast enough to do some damage at close range, rifling or not.

The buckshot would probably WORK fine for my purposes, possibly better than slugs. But (the BIG butt), for some reason buckshot isn't allowed for big game in CA. Riddle me that one. On second thought, don't even try to make sense of it. If you could, it would stand unique among our state gun/ammo regs.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
winchester makes them, hard to find right now. trythis link to get an idea of what you looking for.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-37...oz-lead-free-rifled-slug-ammunition.aspx

IC B2

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks, Jawja! Just what I'm looking for. Maybe if I put 'em on backorder now, I'll have some to bust my shoulder with by "Winter"!
Still gonna try the sabots--found some and am curious...,

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 05/04/13.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mesa,
I was not aware that Savage made a model 24 in 12 Ga/.308.I thought 30-30 was the largest caliber available.???????

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Stan, it's a Savage/Valmet 2400. Whole other gun, made in Finland back in the '60s and '70s.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Aha!Thanks.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I particularly like the 2400s. They were lighter and trimmer than the later 412/512 Valmet series guns.

The last one of these I had many years ago was traded to my dentist for two root canals and crowns.

Talk about HURT!! It hurt double. eek

Don't let that 2400 go, Mesa. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, Bruce, I feel your pain...valve jobs, root canals, vet bills are all enemies of guns. They've got me more times than I care to remember.

But bankers have got me worse; remember the Savings and Loan "Crisis"? At least Bernie Madoff didn't get me. Maybe I've learned something over the years....maybe.

And the WORST of these is divorce....I've been married 49 years and it's still one day at a time, mouth shut and fingers crossed!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess What? I just broke a tooth and need a crown. smirk smirk smirk

There went my new Baikal 45-70 DR. frown

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.