Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stumpy
Hang 40" pieces of pvc pipe on chains from the top on the feeder legs. Google and you will see some examples.
Tens of thousands of photos and I haven't seen a squirrel or coon get up to the mechanism yet. Had 13 coons in one photo underneath!

Slip over metal lids are heavy enough to stay in place and loose enough to allow air flow to the corn to keep it from ever souring.

stumpy
I "sleeved" some rebar legs on a bird feeder which I was using for a college biology class experiment to keep the squirrels off. It worked on them, but didn't keep the 200# secretary from trying to stand it up straighter! It doesn't appear that they can get a grip on the slick pipe to be able to climb them.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't feed animals. They feed me.

Just saying.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The slick "schedule 40" piece of pipe combined with the spinning and swinging from a light chain keeps them off.
10' joint makes 3 pieces. I drill a hole in one end to attached the chain.

FWIW I painted some of mine cause I hated how they stood out. The paint seemed to give the squirrels a slight grip like primer does for paint.

I also tried "septic line pipe", but it is too rough and not round enough. Waste of time trying to save a few dollars.

Interesting to see the muddy tracks where the coons keep trying. Squirrels general find a way to get what they want but not so far. Of course, I still have the good cages at the over the mechanism.

stumpy

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our's are on 2" solid steel pipe legs. The chain idea that allows the pipe to spin a bit is a good idea. Might even paint the pipe and then wax it. The white is going to bug me, I know.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
PVC slid over the legs half way up will do it. Jeff told me to try it and it's awesome for coons and squirrels. I used some 3" and 4" sewer pipe 2-2.5' long and just suspended it with nylon string.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Suprised about the septic pipe not working for you stumpy. The Home Depot septic line I bought was just as slick as Sch40, stayed round after cut, and had much more give to throw the squirrels and coons when they touched it. You want it to flop around really easy as that aids in them slipping off. I think the 4" works best. After I started using this the squirrel and coon problems went away and we have an over abundance of both. Bastards were always tearing up spinners, dumping corn, or chewing on barrels.

Then bears moved in and made tripods a no go. I'm running hanging feeders now and these cure bear, squirrel, and coon issues:

[Linked Image]

Easy to make on the cheap as well:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
learned from the school of hard knocks - all metal with the cages is the way I go now.

[Linked Image]

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those cages are not coon proof IMHO. I have bigger cages and they still reach in and spin the tray. And the critters will tear up the solar charger wires. Same type lids I use.

Yes, we feed animals. All of them.

stumpy

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
guess i have dumber coons! lol

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My feeder has an aluminum plate that covers the entire bottom of the surface area and is spaced only far enough off the spinner to allow it to turn.

Only a snake can get in that space.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.