Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I finally got caught up on some things and snuck to the range today to shoot my Lott for the first time. My first big bore so I don't know how good these things are supposed to shoot.

I fired 5 rounds messing around with the sights and then a final 3-shot group to see what I could do. I did all this standing on my hind legs and shooting over my chronograph. It blew the diffusers off about 5 times in 7 shots!

After sighting it in, I managed a 5" group from 100 yards with factory iron sights. I was shooting 500 grain cast bullets at 2200 fps. I suppose I can crank them up a little but probably won't. I was amazed at how easy it clean. 5 wet patches and it was clean!

I love guns that push back!!

[Linked Image]

a dark cell phone photo...

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Enjoy!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think you got him! grin

Glad it's working out well. That's a lot (pun intended) of cartridge...

Guy

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think it would work well on terrorists or kidnappers!

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I had 3 458 lotts. They are a hoot to shoot. Takes some concentration to put em where they need to be. Alot of fun though. I presently shoot a sub 8lb 375 RUM. Its an azz kicker. Always puts a smile on my face. smile

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Is that a Winchester M70? I did not think you could get a Winchester in the Lott. Custom?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first big bore so I don't know how good these things are supposed to shoot.

I think you will be surprised at how accurate most big bores can be and in my experience they are easier to get to shoot than smallbores. You can shoot a scoped Lott from the bench, it just requires a different technique to avoid injury. My Lott will shoot into less than an inch at 100 yds easily if I do my part.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I did all this standing on my hind legs and shooting over my chronograph.

I didn't realize your avatar picture was actually you!

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A badger armed with a .458 Lott sure ain't nothin' to mess with! shocked laugh

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here's my .458 Lott, it's a Sako AV (converted from .416 Rem. mag). Has a 23" barrel and shoots 350gr TSX bullets at 2600 fps MV within 1 MOA accuracy. cool
[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Winchester made Lotts.

I noticed that the LBT type cast bullets that I was shooting don't feed very nicely. Trying do decide if it is a bullet problem or a rifle problem. That sharp edge just doesn't want to start sliding up the feed ramp without a pretty good push. Anyone ever shoot these flat tipped bullets?

NRA Benefactor Member

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Winchester made Lotts.

I would like to know more. I have a CZ550 in Lott and pretty much regret not choosing the Ruger when I had both in my hands. I been waiting patiently for Winchester to offer the Lott. I dont have gunsmith bucks, but I am patient. Now; I hear Winchester offered a Lott. When was that? I have not seen any at the online auctions or Cabelas. I prefer not to go the online route, but been casually looking for a while. I see nothing of Lotts in the old Winchester catalogs. I may have easily missed them. Anyway this is a pleasant surprise. Or did they make the Lott like the made the chapstick(sp) - Custom shop only.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The M70s I have seen have all come out of the Winchester custom shop. You really don't need a lot of gunsmith bucks to have a M70 in Lott if that is what you want. Mark Penrod will re-chamber a M70 Safari Express and re-stamp the barrel ".458 Lott" for about $125-$150. At least that's what he charged me the last time I had him do one. I think the only reason Winchester insists on chambering the production M70 in .458 Win is stubbornness because they designed it. They need to admit to themselves that the Lott is a superior round and there is really no reason for choosing a .458 Win over a .458 Lott, very few folks would do so, and give their customers what they want.

Last edited by ColKlink; 05/12/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks Col,
I agree with your assessment and yet I would have though under new ownership that Winchester would be more open to customer wants and offer the 458 Lott. New ideas, like building guns is Japan.

This is the logic: build the 1892, 85, 86 and 95 in Japan and all the while refuse to offer a 458 Lott out of misplaced pride in the past. Whats that? Dont get me wrong - I have a Jap 92 and 85. They are fine guns. I wish they were made here. So be it. I am just saying times change and the Lott is the winner.

Yes stubborness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. Whether the folks at Winchester want to admit it or not the Lott has become the standard chambering in .45 cal, far and away over everything else. I'd be willing to bet there are more Lotts in the hands of African PHs than any other chambering. For me, I cannot think of one reason why I would want a .458 Win over a Lott and I'll bet they would sell a lot more M70 Safari Expresses if they understood that fact.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColKlink
The M70s I have seen have all come out of the Winchester custom shop. You really don't need a lot of gunsmith bucks to have a M70 in Lott if that is what you want. Mark Penrod will re-chamber a M70 Safari Express and re-stamp the barrel ".458 Lott" for about $125-$150. At least that's what he charged me the last time I had him do one. I think the only reason Winchester insists on chambering the production M70 in .458 Win is stubbornness because they designed it. They need to admit to themselves that the Lott is a superior round and there is really no reason for choosing a .458 Win over a .458 Lott, very few folks would do so, and give their customers what they want.

I am no expert on big bores but this is my take too and why when I went 458, I went Lott. After all, you can shoot the Win cartridge in the Lott chamber so, as far as I know, there is no advantage in the 458 Win (if I need correcting in that let me know).

The recoil in a properly built rifle is "manageable" and not the worst kicker I've been kicked by.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/13/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 458WM can have jamming issues in many Mauser action rifles - basically a round with a large blunt projectile (eg 500gn RN) can get caught up the the extractor recess inside the action when fed from the LHS of a staggered magazine (RH rifle). Basically the case is too short for what it is, and results in a feed angle that allows this issue to occur. The longer case of the Lott changes the feed angle and avoids the jamming problem.

I think the Lott is what the 458WM was supposed to be.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 05/13/13.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
C
C
I cannot for the life of me fathom why gunmakers have the issue of getting certain (factory) rounds to feed in their actions. Why the ____ can't CZ, or Winchester, or Ruger get over these issues? Here is my experience:

1. 1987 M70 Safari Grade .458 Win Mag (push-feed)...wouldn't feed the then 510-grain soft nose to save it's life

2. CZ550 .458 Lott...this one has an issue feeding blunt bullets as well (and by the way, aren't they pretty much all blunt, in this caliber?)

3. Early Hawkeye Alaskans in .416 Ruger...notorious for feeding issues, WITH HORNADY FACTORY AMMO!

Anyway, the above are just some examples. How hard is it to get the geometry right, and then just do it? Seems as though it shouldn't be that difficult to me.

Last edited by CTDolan; 05/14/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
With your CZ550 458 Lott, is it just the rounds from the left hand side of the magazine that jam? I understood that CZ-USA convert all the 458WM to 458 Lott to avoid the jamming issue.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
C
C
Yep, but it's corrected now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.