Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
JT1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Last week my local sporting goods store finally got a couple pallets of 22 ammo in stock. It never made it to the shelves. People lined up out the door to buy it up as fast as they could, and it was gone by the time I got off work. Later that evening I logged on to Utah Gun Exchange, and there were hundreds of new listings for 22 ammo. These people purchased the value packs for 21.99 and listed them for 50 to 80 dollars a box!! It's infuriating to me that I can't shoot my 22 anymore, and I refuse to support these gougers by paying them 60 bucks for a box of ammo they purchased that morning for 20! I wish there was a way to stop these individuals from taking advantage of honest sportsman and women!

There's something about the outside of a horse, that's good for the inside of a man... Winston Churchill
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's kinda simple. When ammo/components are available buy them. This is not the first time there has been a "shortage" and it won't be the last.

The problem is people forget. When ammo/components do become available again people are always going to stock up later. The problem is they would rather buy booze, boats and crap instead and late never comes. All of sudden they don't have ammo/components again.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The resellers are a big part of the problem IMO. I know guys with hundreds of thousands of rounds with no business liscense selling stuff at huge profits. They are basically creating a problem, then profiting from the solution. I will not support them.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The resellers are the problem.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EddyBo
The resellers are a big part of the problem IMO. I know guys with hundreds of thousands of rounds with no business liscense selling stuff at huge profits. They are basically creating a problem, then profiting from the solution. I will not support them.

Amen brother!! Those sobs have many outlets for distribution as well. Gunshops and pawn shops are letting these guys sell their chit for upwards of $90.00/brick on consignment deals. These guys wait around at local sporting goods stores when they know they are going to get shipments in and buy up all they can get their hands on. They aren't doing any of us a favor mad

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
don't buy it, I won't. If you had a few bricks before this foolishness started you would be better off, and then let them go to hell.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While I have little use for those who seek to unreasonably profit at the expense of others, no one is compelled to pay their high prices. If no one was buying, they wouldn't be gouging. Any self-respecting shooter ought to have enough ammo at hand to weather a phase like this without paying scalper prices.

μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
don't buy it, I won't. If you had a few bricks before this foolishness started you would be better off, and then let them go to hell.

I like that wink..I'm lucky because I have about 6 or 7 bricks set asside for personal use. I do feel for others who aren't as fortunate. I also donated about 300 rounds of target ammo to a local club that likes to get kids interested in the shooting sports.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. I have ammo now, because I wanted to have ammo when it was plentiful and available at the "normal" prices.

Everyone else had that same option at the time ammo was on the shelves. Same with primers and anything else one ought to have on hand at all times.

Coupla years ago, one of our regular indoor 22 shooters grumbled that he couldn't find any CCI SV. Told him repeatedly over a period of several weeks, that the local Dick's had oodles of it. When he finally got around to going there to get some, it was all gone. Whose fault was that???

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TWR

I disagree.

If someone walks up and offers a $100 per bulk pack I am going to sell some. My household could use the money as much as anyone else's. I don't blame people for taking advantage of dumb azzes. Having 22 ammo is not a necessity.

Dink

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by TWR

I disagree.

If someone walks up and offers a $100 per bulk pack I am going to sell some. My household could use the money as much as anyone else's. I don't blame people for taking advantage of dumb azzes. Having 22 ammo is not a necessity.

Dink

You have every right to be wrong wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Dink, the resellers are not the problem, it's the folks doing the panic buying. Somebody else said, "You can't fix stupid."
Were it not for the continued panic buying, this bubble would/will burst overnight.
One of the great marketing techniques to generate profit & sales, is to tell somebody they can't have something. Then they just gotta have it. Think original Coke, gas, primers....
Probably a sorry commentary on our life & times here in the USA.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have to admit y'all are partly right but what's a guy to do when his kids want to go shoot every weekend? My cousin is a prime example, he has 4 each with their own 10/22 and ponds full of turtles. He went through his stash and I've helped him a little but he still had to curb their shooting cause we ain't paying stupid prices.

Now I spent a couple of weeks going to Walmart at 6:30 am each day to get in line with the same guys each morning. Some of those guys shot it and some sold it but after I suggested the guys who sold it for a profit needed an ass kicking, no one admitted to selling it. smile

I gave all that I bought to my cousin's kids and you can bet he won't get caught short again when this is over.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree the resellers are a major part of the problem. I have no 22 ammo left because I can't afford to stock up on thousands and thousands of rounds, but I refuse to buy any ammo from any place but a legitimate store unless the individual is selling them for the same cost as the store. I won't play those games as I personally feel there is something shady about buying up all the ammo just to sell it for 2 to 4 times the price and keeping others who just want to shoot it from getting any.
Is it legal? yes. Does that mean it's ok. I don't think so.
I say F those gougers and hopefully others have the sense to do the same.

Last edited by gohip; 05/13/13.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TWR
I have to admit y'all are partly right but what's a guy to do when his kids want to go shoot every weekend? My cousin is a prime example, he has 4 each with their own 10/22 and ponds full of turtles. He went through his stash and I've helped him a little but he still had to curb their shooting cause we ain't paying stupid prices.

Now I spent a couple of weeks going to Walmart at 6:30 am each day to get in line with the same guys each morning. Some of those guys shot it and some sold it but after I suggested the guys who sold it for a profit needed an ass kicking, no one admitted to selling it. smile

I gave all that I bought to my cousin's kids and you can bet he won't get caught short again when this is over.

It's your cousin faults for not being prepared for his children. I started buying stuff for my boys as soon as I found out they were going to stand up to pee on the ultra sound.

I bet your cousin is like most guys. I bet he was buying $5 coffees, paying $5 for beers at the bar and fishing instead of buying ammo. Because he always knew when they needed a box he would run to wal-mart and by a box for $20 so there was no point in having a few hundred dollars sitting around in ammo.

He got caught and now has to do with out or pay stupid prices.

Dink

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That's just fine and dandy, if one has a hoarder mentality. There's a lot more to life than prepping for the next apocalypse. I truly feel sorry for those who are so preoccupied with what might happen that they forget how to live in the here-and-now (which includes doing what's necessary so that doomsday never happens in the first place). Sure, set some ammo aside for a rainy day- who doesn't if they can afford it? Cache tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds with which to fend off the 'have nots'? That's nuts. Taking advantage (by gouging in times of drought) of one's fellow man because they can may be legal, but sure isn't moral. Anyone who does that has the ethics of a snake.

What about the working stiff who is saddled with a mortgage, school expenses, car payments/repair bills, and feeding the hungry mouths under his roof? To expect him to stockpile (hoard) a huge pile of .22 ammo (or any ammo) for a rainy day is ludicrous. To accuse said guy of swilling $5 coffees and blowing the grocery money on beer without knowing him is ludicrous also- and more than a little prejudicial and narrow minded. My late father fitted that description of a working stiff. He couldn't afford to squirrel away more than a box or two of .22's at a time- when a box of .22 ammo cost about 50�, and him being a guy who loved to plink and hunt with a .22. Had this "Big Shortage" happened 50 years ago, he would have been royally screwed and unable to do anything about it. And to think that somewhere out there a stranger would have made light of his plight and accused him of spending his money un-wisely makes me grit my teeth.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by TWR

It's your cousin faults for not being prepared for his children. I started buying stuff for my boys as soon as I found out they were going to stand up to pee on the ultra sound.

I bet your cousin is like most guys. I bet he was buying $5 coffees, paying $5 for beers at the bar and fishing instead of buying ammo. Because he always knew when they needed a box he would run to wal-mart and by a box for $20 so there was no point in having a few hundred dollars sitting around in ammo.

He got caught and now has to do with out or pay stupid prices.

Dink

So is that what lets you sleep at night?

Fact is you couldn't be more wrong, he's a working stiff just like the rest of us. He provides for his wife and kids just fine. Yes he was short on 22 shells but they will all get by without paying stupid prices from those who value the easy dollar.

He don't even drink coffee...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TWR

Partly, but the dumbazzes who do buy from them show these azzhats that it can be profitable, and that encourages the azzhats to help artificially continue this nonsense.

The main problem is the dumbazzes don't think far enough ahead, and don't keep any ammo around until they want to go shooting.

You don't have to be a "hoarder" to be prepared for life's little hiccups. You just have to have some sense in your effin' head. I've got a couple thousand rounds of .22LR at the house, not because I hoard it, but because I bought it when it was plentiful and reasonably priced, even though I knew I wasn't going to squander it on a pretty Sunday afternoon. That's just good common sense, not hoarding.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/13/13.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a couple thousand rounds of .22LR at the house, not because I hoard it, but because I bought it when it was plentiful and reasonably priced, even though I knew I wasn't going to squander it on a pretty Sunday afternoon. That's just good common sense, not hoarding.

Ding!! smirk

Pardon me for not hating resellers taking advantage of the ill prepared.

Or feeling too sorry for them what put off keeping a reansonable amount of something on hand, that they would eventually use.

We never run out of milk, bread or chit paper because we tend to keep a supply on hand. Okay, she hoards chit paper, but that's a personal problem born of a past trauma she once had to endure.

Not having thousands of rounds of 22 handy, makes little sense to me. Never did? Especially after the shortages of just a coupla years ago. These things tend to run in cycles, more so now than ever. Pay attention, or pay the gougers.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 28 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.