Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ruger M 77 tang safety .240 Wby. grin
[Linked Image]

What happened to the velour bedspread?

That rifle is seriously ugly, though. Wantin' a 240 Bee myself.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Been dragging this one around for about 5 years now.

Its killed a Coues deer every year, and been to Africa as well. My go to rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Can't call it ugly but this Walther Sporter 7x57 I picked whilst living in Alberta has seen a lot of use it appears, even having excess headspace but is still very accurate (160 gr AB) and does the job. Last summer being its most recent journey. Of course it is no longer mine and my youngest has claimed it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
416 Rigby that has spent many days in Africa and Alaska, but no trips other than the TN boar hunt and a little bit of Black Bear hunting last fall since Karnis re did the stock

[Linked Image]

And my MUCH travelled 340 Tyrannosaur (338/8mm RemMag) that I have had since 1973. Shot my first deer with it as a 30/06 plus about 30 more, then as a 300 WBY quite a bit of game. As a 340 it has been to Africa three times and Alaska twice:

[Linked Image]

Other than a shotgun and a couple of varmint rifle, I could cover the world of hutning pretty well with these two but don't tell my wife that I admitted to that! <G>

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ruger M 77 tang safety .240 Wby. grin
[Linked Image]

What happened to the velour bedspread? Still on the bed. smile

That rifle is seriously ugly, though. Wantin' a 240 Bee myself.
Go on and say it "it's fugly." grin

Been wantin' an antelope tag to use it on,BUT NOOOOOO! NM say's I'm not worthy,maybe Wyoming in a couple of years.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I should work harder on getting a rifle into the hero shots.

Anyway... this rifle has been to Alaska, but only once. I used to have a tally of black bears that it had killed or assisted with. Its north of 7, but not sure the exact number anymore. Other than that...one deer, one sheep, one coyote, a couple of the elusive Alaskan groundhogs...

It has a nice nick in the barrel from when I hit it with a brush chopper while cutting our way off a mountain in the dark. The muzzle is smashed from when the gunbearer let loose and it smacked a rock. There is some custom checkering from riding on a pack while scooting down a rock chute. Can't say it owes me anything.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dad's 721...originally a 300 H&H rebored to WBY. Killed a boatload of elk and deer then this guy. It's been out in the woods every fall since he got it around 1970 or so.

[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An old ZKK 600 in 7x64 from 1971. We have walked countless miles, spent just as many nights out. Her finish is getting gray-just like my hair-but she is still a faithful reliable companion.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice late Brno/Early CZ. Tough to out-class a well worn hunting rifle.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
[Linked Image]

Beat-up, maybe.
Working rifle, clearly.
Ugly? No way.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Chase -

I have 'several' working rifles but NO ugly, beat up ones.
In the working category I have a Rem M 6 in 270 that I bought new in the 80s when they came out. I've hunted it many yrs and killed a lot of deer with it.

I have a Rem 700 7 RM that I bought in '95 and it has killed a truck load of deer. Some would call it ugly because it's a boat paddle, but it's in very good appearance and accurate.

I also have a Win 70 300 that I bought in 2008 and it too has killed @ 20 or so deer.

There are others but I take extremely good care of my rifles and they all still look good.

OTOH - back in the 80s I had an early 60s model Rem 760 30-06 that had been hunted a lot and killed only a few deer. It was in pretty ruff condition. The main reason I got rid of it was that it would not shoot any bullet accurately except 150 grainers.

Last edited by jwall; 05/18/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Heres a pic of my meet getter guns, shot alot of deer with em,

Ruger pre warning 300win mag
Remington 700 270 my dad got me when i was 12
Marlin 3030 made in 1956

[Linked Image]

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

This M94 30-30 was already used when I found it in a gun shop in Juneau. If only I hadn't found it so quickly after it slid from the scabbard, I might have really "corn-cobbed' the forend by running over it with the snowmachine a few more times. laugh

[Linked Image]

My first #1, my second 45-70; she was brand new...

[Linked Image]

Win 94/22, my first 'nice' 22....paid full suggested retail of $300 something, I think, in a small local general store.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My truck rifle - "Bubba":

[Linked Image]

Ray
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A lot of pretty rifles in this thread. Now for what the OP asked for: my current deer rifle. It has five bucks with six shots to its credit since I started using it again three seasons ago. Note the fine fit of the recoil pad.
[Linked Image]

A better view of the floated barrel.
[Linked Image]

View of the high finish on trigger guard and floorplate. Not to mention the close fit of the front of the floorplate to the stock.
[Linked Image]

The right side.
[Linked Image]

Don't worry, it used to look worse! Check out the natural wood finish on the original stock and the deep bluing on the original barrel. The old scope was a 30 year old Leupold 3-9 Compact that had about 50% blue and 50% silver.
[Linked Image]

Pretty is as pretty does. My final target when I finished load work with 130TTSXs.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
All I drive is Safe Queens and I start pamperin' them,before they's even fully removed from their shipping containers(I put on nitrile gloves for handlin'). IMHO,THE key is careful break-in and full focus upon bore management and a great Log Book,from which to bank CBS correlations with POA/POI extrapolations,along with Fouling mannerisms. FL virgin cases and jump nekked boolits,for max efficiency.

Start at the start

Looked 'bout right. sub .5MOA at 700+ ain't enough to get excited about,but itsa start and will crunch Critters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BIG Critters.

[Linked Image]

Issued guise seemed to be unfair,so decided to camo it up.

[Linked Image]

Camo seems to be workin' fine.

[Linked Image]

I mean BIG Critters.

[Linked Image]

Was eyephucking it here a few minutes ago and I think the paint needs another coat of wax. That'll be a good afternoon project. Serial number covered,due the early versions having F/F "issues". Laffin'!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_1014.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_1008.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_1004.jpg[/img]

I'd rate it to be in about 98% condition,it's saving grace due the fact that it don't get schlepped but mebbe 5% of the time. I realize the Collector Value,as for some reason these particular rifles have a Cult Following,but I'd rather just use it every now and again and gawk it's splendor...rather then sell or trade it for sumptin' I'd actually use.

Do have a few that look like they get used though,but my heart will always be in Safe Queens,thus the affinity here.

Cheer up...I might have me a couple/few spares,in th event that the new gets knocked offa dis one.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G3521.jpg[/img]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
ZKK 7x64-Nicest old working business rifle in this thread so far-very nice.

Last edited by Plateau Hunter; 05/19/13.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 257heaven

[Linked Image]

I have FELT like doing THAT to 1 rifle, it came from Utah.

I'm not aware of any rifles made in Utah,...what was it?

Here's one I refuse to paint....an '87 vintage ADL/FS in 7 Rem MAg carrying a 4.5-14 Leupy....just flat works....can't change a thing...scratches and all.
[Linked Image]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RaySendero
My truck rifle - "Bubba":

[Linked Image]

I was weened on a SMLE.
Great rifle.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
ZKK 7x64-Nicest old working business rifle in this thread so far-very nice.

Thank you for the compliment. A rifle with soul-they don't make'em any more like that.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.