-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I Googled several times, and got a few anectdotal stories, but not a lot of objective data. So I'll ask the question a little differently.

Has anyone run an original High Wall in a modern, high pressure cartridge, with a case head of .30-06 size or larger? Did you see any evidence of accelerated wear in the action?

I know they are generally considered very strong, and I'm not planning to do anything extreme, but I don't want to abuse one & shorten its life, either. As far as I know, this one already has a bushed firing pin.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I Googled several times, and got a few anectdotal stories, but not a lot of objective data. So I'll ask the question a little differently.

Has anyone run an original High Wall in a modern, high pressure cartridge, with a case head of .30-06 size or larger? Did you see any evidence of accelerated wear in the action?

I know they are generally considered very strong, and I'm not planning to do anything extreme, but I don't want to abuse one & shorten its life, either. As far as I know, this one already has a bushed firing pin.
How much force is directed towards the breech block? I ask that because I seem to recall that was the Remington Rolling Block's Achille's heel.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yeah, that was why I mentioned case head size, as force = pressure x area.

.473 case = .175 sq in area x 60,000 psi = 10,542 lbs force on the breechblock. That's an extremely simplified analysis, that ignores several factors.

Buhmiller supposedly tested one by plugging the muzzle, and firing by remote. The barrel blew off, but the action stayed intact. In my case I'm hoping to learn if someone has run one for a few hundred rounds, and can report how the action stood up.

I have a Ruger #1 in the same caliber in question, so the question would be if I can use the same loads, or would need to back down. The loads are not conservative, but are safe in the Ruger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a few notes here and their forum seems to be a good resource for someone who would likely know: http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1354068831

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John Campbell's books (two volumes) devoted entirely to the Winchester singleshot, discuss Winchester making the singleshot in .30-06 close to the end of their run of this model. There were not many, and I believe they were target rifles and sold in England. But all of this is from memory that may be suspect. However, I'm certain they did do it.

That said, I think Campbell also says that the examples he had see of these rifles were somewhat loose, perhaps due to the cartridge.

There are many many great actions for someone wanting a high pressure, modern cartridge - why not use one of those instead of an original 'wall?

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's an existing rifle I found; I'm debating whether or not to buy it, and if so, how I would load for it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will add it's a thin side, 9XXXX serial number, FWIW.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do you feel the barrel/chambering is original? If so, it might be worth a pretty penny. I don't think many were made.

I'd not load superheavy for it. something like original '03 loads or something on that order. But loads for the 30-06 and other such modern cartridges are not really in my bailiwick.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
no, it's definitely an older custom, well done, though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I finally passed on it, since I already have a .30-40 #1. Somebody got a good deal, though, if it's a clean as described.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341016885

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's an interesting rifle, although no collector's item because of the custom work.

Hiwalls were regularly chambered for .30-40 by the factory from 1892 on; my GUESS is that it was the most common "smokeless only" chambering. They have a special contour round barrel and usually blued receivers, not case colored.

Certainly any factory-pressure .30-40 would be fine, and I don't see much point in hotrodding the Krag much, since it will kill most North American game, big bears in cover excepted, just fine with a standard 220 gr. or 180 gr. load. Think .308.

I have two of them, one all original, and a Ruger #1 custom. One of my favorite deer ctgs., and it's taken a few pigs and coyotes as well. I usually load 125 gr. Sierras fairly mild; very accurate and kills medium game just fine. In the California no-lead zone, Barnes 130 gr. I don't shoot at running game, tho.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I have a decent .30-40 smile

[Linked Image]

I've got 150's up around 2800 fps with it, which is of course .308 country. The 150 Nosler AB is about the lightest bullet I've found, that can be loaded close to the lands, and still have at least .2" or so in the neck. That load flattened the buck shown. Maybe I'll whack a Nilgai with it smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.