Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Us old farts do get a few things right every once in a while I guess. grin

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe I just read it in maybe Western Horseman that Rocky's are one of the breeds with some of the best feet. Walkers were one of the others.

Last edited by byron; 05/16/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is a significant amount of Mustang blood in the Rocky's. Our Mustangs have some of the best and hardest feet I've ever worked with. Interestingly enough they have traced some of the blood lines of the Rocky's back to the horses in the Pryor's... cool stuff right there.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
This fella just turned three (calendar years) he's still got some growing to do. Big personality. We have had this one since he was six months old. First time for us raising a baby.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, ya got the colors right ;-) everyone wants the Chocolate/Flaxen. Very nice and conformed very well.
Blood?
We've seen on average they have finished growing up by 4 and filled out at 5.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Oddly enough when I first saw him I did not think he would be a Chocolate. This picture at two months old was from a visit to the farm where he was born with a friend who wanted us to see the set up. I said to myself I like that one.

[Linked Image]

Several months later I had heard that the farm was offering several Rockies that were available including the colt I had thought would be one I would like to have. It was a situation of too many horses and not enough grass. We had the onset of some very dry conditions. This is what he looked like when I revisited the farm months later and brought him home still not knowing how he would turn out but his mane and tail were starting to show/retain the flaxen traits.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_breed_of_horse_is_Roy_Rogers_Trigger

This says the original was a Thoroughbred cross and the 2nd was a Tennessee walker.

They can't put anything on the internet that is not true you know. grin

I don't have DNA results but I'm pretty sure about #2 being a TW.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Funny how they change coats...

Good looking pony...

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Cocadori,

As far as bloodlines go: His Sire is Owen's Choctaw and the Dam is out of Nick. He has Sewell's Sam on top and bottom.

Hoping the rain holds off so we can get some riding in tomorrow.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like mules and mustanos for good feet and lots of self-preservation. They are smart and you have to win them over.

Last edited by ppine; 05/17/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I respect your perspective and that a Mule can recognize limitations. Some here on the Forum have said Horses are Stupid and I respect the people who post those comments and their limitations as well.

There is no doubt about where a Mule stands and I value them for their abilities.

I ride a Horse 'cause I appreciate a friend committed to me that will get me back Home.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have/had many of both ..both have their place. Both take different approaches. Hard to beat the smoothness of a long earred horse ;-)

Truth be told.. we're thinking heavily on breeding 2 of our personal Rocky mares with a Mamoth Jack. ;-)

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe the best of both worlds.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by woods_walker
I respect your perspective and that a Mule can recognize limitations. Some here on the Forum have said Horses are Stupid and I respect the people who post those comments and their limitations as well.

There is no doubt about where a Mule stands and I value them for their abilities.

I ride a Horse 'cause I appreciate a friend committed to me that will get me back Home.

There are dumb horse and there are smart horse. I prefer the smart ones.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Have/had many of both ..both have their place. Both take different approaches. Hard to beat the smoothness of a long earred horse ;-)

Truth be told.. we're thinking heavily on breeding 2 of our personal Rocky mares with a Mamoth Jack. ;-)

This is probably hijacking this thread, but I'd be sure interested in knowing how that cross comes out. Best of both worlds I'd bet.

Most people who can't get along with mules usually turn out to be only mediocre horsemen or horse women. Women can usually get along better as they are softer in their approaches ( not all).That is why the old saying that horses should be trained like mules have to rings true.

Simple fact is horses, compared to all farm animals are at the bottom of the list for smarts. Maybe only topped by turkeys. Pigs being the smartest. The donkey imparts the intelligence to the cross, although some horses seem to have more smarts than others. One being the Arabian, but generally that crosses makes a pretty poor mule. Treated right a mule will make a lasting companion and bond more to a human than most horses.
Treated badly and they can be a train wreck. Trained right and treated right a good mule can be 10 times better than a good horse, but if not, they can be 100 times worse than bad horse.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/18/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I will keep you and everyone else posted on this outcome. We are weighing the odds and our time right now.

Everything you said is spot on. We've trained as well as "re-trained" mules for many.

I will say this though. This breed (Rocky's) are without a doubt the "smartest" (consistently) breed we've ever worked with.

So in fact we are looking for the best of both worlds in the Mamoth Jack breeding.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard of gaited Mules, are they the outcome of a cross like this or a naturally occurring trait?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Usually a cross out of gaited mares, but some do advertise their jacks as being gaited.

Mules are usually smoother gaited than horses, although I have ben on some rough ones

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by saddlesore
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_breed_of_horse_is_Roy_Rogers_Trigger

This says the original was a Thoroughbred cross and the 2nd was a Tennessee walker.

They can't put anything on the internet that is not true you know. grin

I don't have DNA results but I'm pretty sure about #2 being a TW.

When do you expect result to be in the mail? laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.