Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
JMP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I don't read field and stream or really any of the other main gun mags --- outside of Varmint Hunter.

I have built about 10 custom varmint rifles and shot about double that many more built by family and friends.

JP

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JMP
My fast twist 22br shot several 1/4inch 3 shot groups. It is ingrained in my blood to only accept at least 5 shot groups as proof of a rifle's potential. Guess what?...those 3 shot groups got bigger, often a lot bigger. I'll see if I can find those groups to email pics of.

JP

I'm starting to think your idea of a varmint rig may be a lot different than mine.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've lost me on exactly what point you're trying to make.....

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm thinking a high B.C. bullet would be nice way out there, less drop, less drift; hell, it probably has a greater length inside a given vital zone or PBR as distances grow.

Guess I've missed out on some serious ballistic miracle....its the tenth of an inch inside 200 yards that matters. How stupid of me!

J
JMP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JMP
My fast twist 22br shot several 1/4inch 3 shot groups. It is ingrained in my blood to only accept at least 5 shot groups as proof of a rifle's potential. Guess what?...those 3 shot groups got bigger, often a lot bigger. I'll see if I can find those groups to email pics of.

JP

I'm starting to think your idea of a varmint rig may be a lot different than mine.

Travis

I shoot most my squirrels from 150-600 yards. How about you?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your percentages will go up exponentially on your 600 yard varmints , especially on windy days,and will not drop any on your 100 yard varmints, what is hard to understand about that?

J
JMP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
I'm thinking a high B.C. bullet would be nice way out there, less drop, less drift; hell, it probably has a greater length inside a given vital zone or PBR as distances grow.

Guess I've missed out on some serious ballistic miracle....its the tenth of an inch inside 200 yards that matters. How stupid of me!

Really? After reading everything I have written your conclusion is that I think a 14 twist 22-250 is better b/c they shoot a tenth of an inch better at 200 yards? Come on, I know you are capable of better!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
that and since most factory .224 bore rifles come with slow twists, they have to be better...

but i wanna hear more about how fast twists are more of a pain in the butt to 'tune' and 'keep in tune'...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You guys are letting this maroon suck you in to his nonsense. I'm shocked.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shoot 20 shot groups....

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it's raining here and i'm bored...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JMP
[quote=deflave]

I shoot most my squirrels from 150-600 yards. How about you?

I do the same. But it's also a calling rig/deer rifle/whatever needs killing rifle.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
You guys are letting this maroon suck you in to his nonsense. I'm shocked.

I thought he might want to learn something...

Travis

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nahhhhhh...his mind was made up with the OP....

Yep.

J
JMP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I am the OP...hahaha. Do some of you just sit around on the weekend and drink and post online? How else do you get 13k posts?

JP

Last edited by JMP; 05/19/13.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JMP
I am the OP...hahaha. Do some of you just sit around on the weekend and drink and post online? How else do you get 13k posts?

JP

Is that your way of conceding you don't know what you're talking about?

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I thought by "OP" ingwe meant Original Post.

Is JMP the original post? How is that possible?

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You got it right BGG....

FNG got it wrong.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The problem with slow twist 22s, like my and Ingwe's 12 twist 223AIs, is that if the light is just right, you can count the 360s on the way to the target. This of course is known for being worthless as the base of the bullet is seen tracing slow, large, lazy circles en route with anything heavier than the most worthless varmint pills--those That weigh over 55-grains or more in the deuces and 40-gr in the 20. Actually, in experimenting, we have found a 22 bullet the same size and shape of an aspirin stabilized perfectly in the 12 twist.

Most varmints unlikely to be kilt by these out of balance bullets were very unlucky as they weren't centered by the bullet tip but close enought that the blunt end of the bullet at a certain unfortunate point in it's circular oscillation, greater-than-caliber, clubbed the rodent in the head. This is of course terrible as it gives a much wider opportunity for impact than the fast spinning heavies.

This is known by very few varmint shooters such as myself and Ingwe who were under a blood oath to not reveal this top secret fact. In fact, the move to fast twists was initiated by 'fire agents to conceal the these deadly facts from the public. Being from the resistence, Ingwe and I have gone rogue which means troublesome identity issues, although it's true, he did let slip a major faux pas--he does like leopard skin patterns and I like tighty whiteys. You swore Ingwe; I should have known you'd blow it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
grin

And the reason I like Leopsard skin thongs....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 70 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.