Print Thread
Hop To
F
Foster Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
i have a remington 700 that i am looking to re finish using beads, sand, or aluminum oxide. my quesiton is what is the proper size/ grit that some of you guys are using. i am not looking to cote after blasting. i am trying to get as close to a factory remington finish as i can.
Thanks

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well (you're not going to like this answer) it depends - some use larger grits and lower pressures and some (like me) use finer grits and higher pressures. I use 240-320 at about 100psi and then use a plastic wool sponge with gun oil to rub it down. A gunsmith that has down a couple of my rifles gets a very fine finish use 80-120 grit beads I believe at about 50-60 psi. The glass bead actually only peen the surface - silica sand and aluminum oxide will actually break-up/rough-up the surface. If you're not going to coat the barrel, I would use glass beads.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Well (you're not going to like this answer) it depends - some use larger grits and lower pressures and some (like me) use finer grits and higher pressures. I use 240-320 at about 100psi and then use a plastic wool sponge with gun oil to rub it down. A gunsmith that has down a couple of my rifles gets a very fine finish use 80-120 grit beads I believe at about 50-60 psi. The glass bead actually only peen the surface - silica sand and aluminum oxide will actually break-up/rough-up the surface. If you're not going to coat the barrel, I would use glass beads.

Right on the money , offshoreman . It's downright refreshing to see someone give advice , that actually knows what they are talking about !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
F
Foster Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
thanks guys

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
Originally Posted by Offshoreman

Right on the money , offshoreman . It's downright refreshing to see someone give advice , that actually knows what they are talking about !
Ditto.. Good job sir..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
To give you some ideas this is a Rossi 92 blasted with 80 grit play sand at 80psi. Left side of barrel is sprayed, right side is stock. Same rifle with OEM and blasted receiver.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Something else is that when using AO or sand that raises the surface texture it will be more prone to hold moisture and show rust as well as scratches when the raised ridges are knocked down. I did the whole 92 in sand with the intent of a darker cerakote but never got around to it. It now looks horribly "scratched up" and when the weather gets hot I will either reblast with sand for cerakote or hit it with glass beads and smooth it down. The deeper cutting of AO or sand will also leave it with a darker grey finish, the glass beads will tend to give it a brushed satin satinless look.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

F
Foster Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
thanks varmint that helps alot. couple other questions. about how much media do i need to do a barrel and action. i was thiking about using 220 grit glass beads from harbor freight that come in 2 lb packaged. also if i use the 220 beads, what kinda pressure do you think i should use. im just looking finish that closly resembles the factory rem 700.
Thanks

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not a fan of glass beading personally because it is still rather shiney. I had my last two done with aluminum oxide and despite the rumors it holds up and looks great. Nice dull gray.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.