Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Zeiss Terra Riflescopes are now In Stock @ Camera Land

[Linked Image]

We just received a shipment of the:

Zeiss Terra 3X 2-7x32 - Z-Plex #522721

Zeiss Terra 3X 3-9x42 - Z-Plex #522701

Zeiss Terra 3X 4-12x42 - Z-Plex #522711

I am out of the store, however, Joel called to tell me that they arrived and I wanted to give you a heads up.
Please call the store @ 212-753-5128 and speak with Neil or Joel if you've got any questions. Yes, all pre-orders are being shipped today. No, none of the Terra Binoculars have arrived yet. Hopefully, now that we're seeing riflescopes the binoculars are shortly behind them.
Thanks for all your support, it is appreciated.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any idea on how these compare with the conquest? Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Any idea on how these compare with the conquest? Thanks

As these just arrived into us yesterday, and the only time I have seen/handled one was at SHOT Show in January I am posting the official response to your question as given to me by Zeiss:

"This product was designed to replace the old Conquest. G force tested to the same standards, optical resolution to be a little better. The Terra line is a seven sku selection while old conquest had 35 options. Comp products compare:
3-9x42 Terra vs 3-9x40 conquest. Little larger objective, turrets a little better, optically and durability tests are similar. Truthfully tho, the proof will be in how well the Terra scopes hold up long term. Old Conquest was a great scope but designed 13 years ago.

4-12x42 Terra vs 3.5-10x44 and 4.5-14x44 conquest. Same as above technically, 50% less money, far fewer options like Rapid Z and 50mm objectives, but optically and durability tested to the same standards.

Internal QC checks show optically that the Terra scopes actually have slightly better resolution.

We were very careful not to put substandard quality into the marketplace, we are Zeiss. We have to protect our quality reputation. All products are designed, engineered by Zeiss Germany and QC'd by Zeiss USA. We only outsource the final assembly to meet USA price point requirements, but still providing Zeiss quality product."

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Binoculars due in the USA warehouse tomorrow. Shipments to dealers will begin by the end of the week. Doug at Cameraland is a top priority customer and will get some of the first out the door.

Mike J

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
One additional comment that I would like to post regarding Terra vs the old Conquest.

The old Conquest was a great scope, designed 13 years ago and we offered 35+ skus in the product lineup. Our plan was always to upgrade the Conquest, and we accomplished this with the NEW Conquest HD5. We basically upgraded every technical feature you can get on paper. The reviews are out and this is a great scope. The HD5 vs the old Conquest is simply no comparison.

The Terra line was added as a replacement for a single price point Conquest sku, the 3-9x40. Instead of replacing this 1 sku, we added an entire lineup revolving around this pricepoint.

So, compared to the old Conquest... the Terra is similar in design, durability and optical performance. The HD5 line is a significant step up in all quality and technical functions.

Hope this helps.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Very good clarification, thanks for posting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Doug.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Doug,
Are Terra scopes made in Germany, assembled in the USA?
Made and assembled in Germany?
Made and asssembled in Japan, or what?
Thanks,

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I called Zeiss about this, made and assembled in Japan.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

I thought they were assembled in China,anyone know for sure?

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
when I purchased my first Conquest years ago I paid double of what these are....If they are opticially as good or better than the old Conquest and priced this low (about what a Leupold VX-2 is) they should sell like hotcakes....

smile

Ted
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I believe the terra binos are China but the scopes are Japan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by remington

I believe the terra binos are China but the scopes are Japan.
Thats was my understanding.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds like the Terra is a real bargain. I will need to try one.

The old Conquest was a great scope, designed 13 years ago and we offered 35+ skus in the product lineup. Our plan was always to upgrade the Conquest, and we accomplished this with the NEW Conquest HD5. We basically upgraded every technical feature you can get on paper. The reviews are out and this is a great scope. The HD5 vs the old Conquest is simply no comparison.

Having purchased 3 of the Conquest 3-9x40 MC when Cabela's had them on sale, and more recently buying two of the Zeiss Conquest HD5, I can confirm this. To me, there is absolutely no comparison.

The HD5 is so good, I'll probably buy another one soon.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While I do not own one, I never knew where they were built until now. Not good or bad, just new knowledge.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'll be waiting to hear how the Terra 2-7 compares to the Leupold 2-7 and 2.5-8. These are the perfect size and magnification hunting scopes for my use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Zeiss pretty much nailed it as far as sizes/configurations are concerned if they were looking to trim "sku's". I don't think 50mm (at least with 1" tubes) are very popular anymore. I never really understood the reason why they put a 38mm obj on their 1.8-5 and then put a 32mm on the 2.5-8 on the previous Conquest line.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Riflescopes will be assembled in Japan. Terra Binos will be China. Binos include SHOTT ED glass.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Does anyone know the ocular diameter? The specs are not given in the link that Doug provides.

(I've been more constrained by ocular diameters than objective diameters on Mauser rifles.)

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there has to be some place in America where American's can make scopes for America at American price points.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First of all, I really like Conquest scopes. That being said, does anyone besides me wonder how, besides origin of assembly, that Zeiss can cheapen a product so much to get it into these price points? I'm always a little skeptical when newer, cheaper models are announced with a Euro badge. I'm betting there's more cheapening involved than just "made in Japan".

Also, there are varying grades of ED glass. Just because a bino has Schott ED glass doesn't mean it's the same quality as Schott ED glass found in a Zeiss FL.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Our fundamental goal is to offer the absolute best optical products
in their respective category. Our new Conquest HD5 replaced the old Conquest. When we upgraded Conquest to Conquest HD5, we saw that other companies offering a $400 product (riflescopes and binoculars) left a void in Consumer quality expectations and we felt that with our optical knowledge, we could fill that void with a new product line. We hope the entry premium consumer will agree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
building binos in China isnt going to help your reputation

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 338rcm

I try to keep as much of my money OUT of China as possible. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Wish everyone felt the same!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not much of a worry for me. 8x42 FL's sharing duty with 7x42 ClassiCs and Minox 6.5x for tramping in the woods has me set for life. Whilst the 8x42's hold the edge optically I like the ergos of the ClassiCs mo' betterer.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Why, [bleep] !!how could anyone see through any thing with a 13 year old design ??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really. I'm thinking the shorter eye relief is no help either at 3.5" and out of a 2-7?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How can I possibly even see through my twenty plus year old Zeiss? It must be obsolete.. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MJensen
Our fundamental goal is to offer the absolute best optical products
in their respective category. Our new Conquest HD5 replaced the old Conquest. When we upgraded Conquest to Conquest HD5, we saw that other companies offering a $400 product (riflescopes and binoculars) left a void in Consumer quality expectations and we felt that with our optical knowledge, we could fill that void with a new product line. We hope the entry premium consumer will agree.

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't referring to the HD5. I was referring to the Terra line that replaces the Conquest stuff. My question remains as to what Zeiss cheapened besides the origin of manufacture, to bring to the market a much less expensive Conquest basically. Pardon my skepticism.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Me too! That's the reason I don't buy anything from Walmart. It's just not good for America long term.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I understand your concern, but we really didn't cheapen the Conquest line. The Terra prodcut line (5 sku's)replaced 5 sku's from the Conquest line, the Conquest 3-9x40's that have been sold for $399-$569 for the last 2 years. Terra sells for $399-$499, a slight price reduction. All other Conquest sku's were not "cheapened", they were upgraded and sent to Germany for assembly. The Old Conquest line (30 of the 35 sku's) sold for $699-$1200. The new Conquest HD5 line sells for $899-$1200.

To reach the Terra price point, labor(although not that much) is the primary reduction of cost. Raw glass components, aluminum components are purchased by all optics companies at global pricing so the variances here are small, as long as the quality of the components is the same. The Terra resolution tests show optically that it is euqal to the old 3-9x40. The labor to cut, grind raw materials, and assemble to our specifications is where the cost savings come into place. USA and Germany labor costs are higher but drive a higher quality of product. To keep the business in tact, we kept the integrity of Conquest and Victory in Germany and simply added Terra. In the past we offered only 2 classes of product, Victory and Conquest. We now offer 3 classes of product, Victory (starting at $1999), Conquest(starting at $899) and Terra(starting at $399). All are premium in their own class and for their specific customer group, Super-Premium, Premium, Entry-Premium.

Hope this helps clarify the new product lineup.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
My question remains as to what Zeiss cheapened besides the origin of manufacture, to bring to the market a much less expensive Conquest basically. Pardon my skepticism.

Easy, they just exploited cheap labor. Plenty of cheap Asian glass alternatives out there, surprised Zeiss wanted to join the club.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So I guess the answer to my question is that, aside from labor, every single mechanical component including the tube is exactly the same as the old Conquest. Once again, pardon my skepticism.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
the Conquest 3-9x40's that have been sold for $399-$569 for the last 2 years. Terra sells for $399-$499, a slight price reduction.

Actually, Conquests were $399 forever. Suddenly they jumped up to $499 a year ago. Only to be liquidated at a reduced price months later and now a replacement is offered. I speculate that Zeiss raised the price in the last year so that the Terra seemed like a good bargain when introduced at the original Conquest price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess time will tell on these. If the terra scopes are as good as the conquest's, I'll continue to buy them. The conquest is the best buy in its range and competes with much more expensive scopes. Hope the terra is too.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Easy, they just exploited cheap labor.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion, labour costs are higher in Japan than they are in the US..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you sure about that? source please.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Are you sure about that? source please.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/13/news/economy/minimum-wage-countries/index.html

Last edited by johnfox; 05/28/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
Why, [bleep] !!how could anyone see through any thing with a 13 year old design ??

Its hard ... but I make do wink

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looked thru a 3-9x42 today, although I thought it was clear and crisp something about it doesn't seem as nice as the conquest. I can't explain it, but its just different. I didn't like the eyepiece but that's about all the real negative I can find.
With that said I still liked it better than the Bushnell Elite, Nikon Buckmaster,and the Redfield they had out on the counter. Granted the terra cost more than those but to me it wasn't close.

I like the Conquest better but I wouldn't be scared to buy a terra series.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A completely new product line, I can be honest to say that every component can not be exactly the same as Conquest. However, the QC standards meet or exceed the old Conquest

1. Shock tested to 800-1000 G's - same as the old Conquest
2. Waterproof tested to same standards as old Conquest
3. Increased ROA and repeat ability tested using industry standard grid-zero procedure - same as old Conquest
4. Resolution tested to exceed old Conquest
5. And most importantly, the ZEISS transferable limited lifetime warranty.

Terra is not for everybody. For the more discriminating shooter we offer Conquest HD and Victory HT.

Hope this clears up your question.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the clarification.

I received a new Zeiss Terra 3x9x42 yesterday. Taking it to my gunsmith for mounting and boresighting this morning. I'm a Leupy loony (VX3s mostly) but I must say the first impressions of the new Zeiss scope were very favorable.

Will be taking it to the range to get zeroed on the Sako AV soon and will file a sight-in report later.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

For those that don't have a clue about China quality, its relevant TOTALLY to what you want to pay.

You can get cheap junk or you can assign a factory to produce the very best quality thats out there basically.

The fault for junk out of China has been our constant desire to have things CHEAP and quick. Much like a McDonalds burger vs the old cafe burger. I know which one I'll take every last time if I have a choice.

If a company sells cheap junk made in China, its because the COMPANY spec'd it out that way.

But I digress and am off topic again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 22WRF
there has to be some place in America where American's can make scopes for America at American price points.

I will settle for a scope with an ocular housing that is less than 40 mm, why do these dills all think we need scopes the size of baseball bats?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

For those that don't have a clue about China quality, its relevant TOTALLY to what you want to pay.

You can get cheap junk or you can assign a factory to produce the very best quality thats out there basically.

The fault for junk out of China has been our constant desire to have things CHEAP and quick. Much like a McDonalds burger vs the old cafe burger. I know which one I'll take every last time if I have a choice.

If a company sells cheap junk made in China, its because the COMPANY spec'd it out that way.

Care to share brand names of the quality Chinese made optics you prefer or use?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You're on the money, good post..

I'm old enough to remember when the first Japanese made vehicles came into Australia and how people scoffed and laughed.....who's laughing now?

Last edited by johnfox; 06/02/13.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Care to share brand names of the quality Chinese made optics you prefer or use?

My comment was not in relationship to a suggestion of which merchandise to use, I have a stash of Conquests and will have to try the Terra before I know what that will reveal...

My comment was don't bash China, ( and I'm not even close to a fan of China either at all) for what the folks using her demand.
As noted, if its cheap junk, thats what the buyer spec'd to start with. China can produce with the best of them.

Me... I'm stuck with Zeiss so far. I simply don't care for lesser scopes at this time. Though a top end Leupy has made strides these days from what I"ve heard.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnfox

You're on the money, good post..

I'm old enough to remember when the first Japanese made vehicles came into Australia and how people scoffed and laughed.....who's laughing now?

Now if the Japs would have put the oil filter data in my wifes FJ book... looked for 20 minutes until I realized it was easier to open the hood and look.... never did find it in the book.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Good to know where the Teras are made, it's not going on my rifle.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Japanese made scopes have been well thought of for years in other brands. I see no reason not to give these a chance.

Considering the work philosophy of the Japanese people, Zeiss may have thought they could produce a better product there, than the USA.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You can bet it boils down to money, as it always does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Japanese made scopes have been well thought of for years in other brands. I see no reason not to give these a chance.

Considering the work philosophy of the Japanese people, Zeiss may have thought they could produce a better product there, than the USA.

So why are the Terra binos made in China?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tmitch
Good to know where the Teras are made, it's not going on my rifle.

Same here.

Used Conquest or new VX3. I have options.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Money, i.e. profit margin, is the ONLY determining factor in where a product is produced in this day and age. With todays technology the same quality product can be made anywhere in the world, the only difference being labor, taxes and enviromental protection costs. American consumers are too self centered to suport their own standard of living so the ships arrive here full, and leave empty. How much do we owe China now? Screw 'em, make mine a Leupold.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You do realize that Leupold also puts their name on a lot of stuff that comes from China too ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One additional comment that I would like to post regarding Terra vs the old Conquest.

these scopes are parallax at 100 yards, the highest power one has the 800 yard reticle,,,, how is the parallax going to effect the 800 yard shooting,,,,

The Terra line was added as a replacement for a single price point Conquest sku, the 3-9x40. Instead of replacing this 1 sku, we added an entire lineup revolving around this pricepoint.

So, compared to the old Conquest... the Terra is similar in design, durability and optical performance. The HD5 line is a significant step up in all quality and technical functions.

Hope this helps.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You can bet it boils down to money, as it always does.

I'm sure it does and someone posted that Japanese wages could actually be higher than US wages. At the same time I have witnessed the work ethic of production manufacturing workers in Alabama. One quality worker could replace about three of them and do it better and faster.

Of course profit is the bottom line but Japanese scopes aren't normally considered junk.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You do realize that Leupold also puts their name on a lot of stuff that comes from China too ?

Sure do, and I won't buy them either.

Charter Member

szihn

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not calling anyone out on here in paticular but I find it odd that the German made Zeiss is sought after but as soon is one is just assemembeld in Japan it gets shunned.
I understand people wanting American made products but some of those same people would jump all over a Swarovski made in Austria or a Zeiss made in Germany.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it odd too. I guess Leupold gets a pass for using Asian lenses in their scopes, but Zeiss isn't afforded the same luxury.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been pointing out for years that not all "European" optics are totally made by the same company, in the same country--and many haven't been made in Europe for quite a while. That's called capitalism--Adam Smith's "invisible hand of the marketplace."

These days, usually the engineering/design is done by the parent company, and the parts or complete optics have to meet those design standards.

Zeiss is being very up-front about where the Terras are being made, unlike some other European companies. I am due to get some to review soon, and will be giving them the usual rigorous tests.

Of course, if some people have a problem with buying optics made by certain countries, then that's their option. Personally, I don't care nearly as much, since capitalism is a persuasive system. It ain't perfect, but as Winston Churchill (a devout conservative) put it: "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."

China is becoming more and more capitalist, and quite deliberately. They aren't Red China anymore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by tmitch
Money, i.e. profit margin, is the ONLY determining factor in where a product is produced in this day and age. With todays technology the same quality product can be made anywhere in the world, the only difference being labor, taxes and enviromental protection costs. American consumers are too self centered to suport their own standard of living so the ships arrive here full, and leave empty. How much do we owe China now? Screw 'em, make mine a Leupold.

Funny [bleep]. If the Chicoms had their stuff together and transportation etc was better 120 years ago, you don't think that Ford wouldn't have been made there?

People seem to think it's the people TODAY that are the problem, 100 years ago they would have never made a product in China.

That's like saying Winchester would never have made an AR15 in 1873.

People are [bleep] idiots.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steely. gotta ask how many Chinese made optics you have??

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hoping Bass Pro has some in and I have enough time to stop on sunday.

looking for a 2-7(ish) for the 280 and was set on Leupold but maybe get a chance to look at Zeiss & Vortex again too.

won't be back till end of next week but if I stop I will try and remember to post my opinion on the zeiss terra... granted it won't be up to some people's standards since I think t he only difference I saw between a VX2 & VX3 was $100 and reticle. But i'll throw in my 2 cents.

if it's clear and has a good company backing it, it's good by me within reason

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll be interested in hearing your results!

Just talked to Zeiss today and there should be a 3-9x42 scope and 10x42 binocular showing up by the end of the week.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'll be interested in hearing your results!

Just talked to Zeiss today and there should be a 3-9x42 scope and 10x42 binocular showing up by the end of the week.

Please post us a link to your review when it's finished.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So if a Euro comes clean about manufacturing, it's still a great product. Why? Cheap labor is cheap labor right? Does cheap labor assemble quality materials into a good product? mtmuley

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think we sometimes associate cheap labor with low quality labor. Cheap is relative to where one lives and the economy. In some places $2 and hour might be equivalent to $20 an hour in others.

The question becomes, how well is the labor trained and what are the QC control measures. I trust that Zeiss does not want to be associated with an inferior product and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 06/11/13.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beyond labor costs, taxation on corporate revenue can also be a factor.

I am not sure about China and Japan, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that corporate tax rates are much lower than Germany.

The company I work for realizes an automatic 30% "profit margin" by manufacturing some products in Singapore.

And, I don't blame Singapore (or my company) for that crazy

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would be guessing Zeiss didn't go with US labor because too many unions in the US

One thing that was pointed out to me as a problem with foreign labor is you have more employee roll over in some countries so it actually costs more once you factor in training time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: Terra mfg in Japan, I have used many quality optics - scopes, binos, and cameras made in Japan. No issue personally. Now If a scope is Chinese mfg I am probably going to pass. Just me.

No doubt 'Globalization' has changed the landscape of all businesses, good bad like it or not.

Doug, I think Zeiss got 3 winners there, the 2-7s should sell well, 3-9s well that's what most know, and the 3-12 sounds very interesting. Look forward to reports, expect good reviews.

For any who are confused, MOST Glass is made in Asia to my from what I have been told by a very few companies that mfg to their clients specs. Leupold would be one IIRC.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
didn't spend enough time with the Zeiss Tera on sunday to give a good review.

the salesman at bass pro handed me one that was WAY out of focus, the place was too busy (I can handle a busy cabelas....but bass pro stuck me more on the same level as a Gander Mountain but more expensive) and I was late so I just mainly looked at the Leupolds I was interested in and even then felt rushed by the guy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tim_B
didn't spend enough time with the Zeiss Tera on sunday to give a good review.

the salesman at bass pro handed me one that was WAY out of focus, the place was too busy (I can handle a busy cabelas....but bass pro stuck me more on the same level as a Gander Mountain but more expensive) and I was late so I just mainly looked at the Leupolds I was interested in and even then felt rushed by the guy

what do you mean out of focus? Don't they have a fast focus eye piece? Wouldn't a quick turn of that eye piece take care of focus?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
like i said....didn't spend enough time with it to give it a review...really just wanted to look at the leupolds and get out of the store.

yes as I was handing it back to the salesman i noticed the quick focus eye piece.... but must say that was the first salesman to EVER hand me a way out of focus rifle scope. every other one looks at the scope then hands it to me. only reason I posted that I even looked at it is because I said I was going to, so I guess all in all more a review for bass pro than the scope. sorry I can't be of any help

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's cool Tim. I need to get one in hand anyway.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Well, any reviews? Anyone buy one yet and gave a try?
How does it compare to the Conquest?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,280 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.