24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I did my first full skim bedding on a Tikka T3. Never had to do one before but my customer was not happy enough with the rifle.

The rifle is a Tikka T3 hunter in 308. The rifle was shooting at 1" to 1.25" and thats the best it would do. After talking it over we decided to full skim bed the rifle first and go from there.

After bedding the rifle and letting it fully cure, I shot it again for him and it made all the difference in the world. Groups are now an easy 4 shot 3/8" all day long.

Like I said, I've never had to bed a tikka before but if you get a weird one in the bunch this should fix it.

[Linked Image]

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
So I did my first full skim bedding on a Tikka T3. Never had to do one before but my customer was not happy enough with the rifle.

The rifle is a Tikka T3 hunter in 308. The rifle was shooting at 1" to 1.25" and thats the best it would do. After talking it over we decided to full skim bed the rifle first and go from there.

After bedding the rifle and letting it fully cure, I shot it again for him and it made all the difference in the world. Groups are now an easy 4 shot 3/8" all day long.

Like I said, I've never had to bed a tikka before but if you get a wierd on in the bunch this should fix it.

[Linked Image]

Nice job. Did you go to gunsmithing school? Is a "weird on" similar to a hard on.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting, thanks for posting. Looks like you skim bedded over the recoil lug as well?

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes I did go to a gunsmith school and yes its over the lug. I used a industrial metal set on this one because the lug was loose on the reciever. Very loose!

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Was just curious. Obviously there are no real blueprints on how to bed these Tikka T3's with the reverse recoil lug. I've been interested in skim bedding one of my T3's but haven't been sure the best way to do that with the lug.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I attached my lug to the receiver to hold it in place for bedding and then dropped it in just like any other bedding job. The bedding eliminated some of the vertical stringing I was getting originally.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How did you attach the lug to the receiver? Stock wood or composite?

I am concerned that bedding compound won't stick to the plastic stock.

Thanks,

Lefty

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I personally would not bed over the lug. Epoxy is not as strong as metal. The lug makes little contact as it is. On stocks that have the lug loose you can attach it to the receiver with a drop of super glue. It only needs to hold to the receiver long enough to make it through the bedding process. When it is attached you just bed like any other M700 etc.

If the lug is not loose and it part of the stock like with the B&C, don't put any epoxy near the lug itself. Kind of backwards thinking compared to most guns, but the lug is backwards of most guns.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Exactly what dogcatcher said...drop of super glue and treat it as any other lugged receiver. When your cure is done it pops out with a little tap and your lug is bedded solidly into the receiver and gives a repeatable torquing point.

When I did the BC on my other Tikka I taped off around it so that no mud came within a 1/2" of the lug, I did not want anything to interfere with the lug fit.

Also to clarify I did not bed to fit the receiver to the lug, rather just to lock the lug in place and create a uniform fit between the receiver and stock. I did the normal roughing up and some additional holes and Devcon 10110 stuck just fine.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks guys I have contemplating bedding two Tikka's and this gives me some ideas to go ahead.

Lefty C

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ditto

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.