Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was thinking about those snakes a couple of days ago when i was up a canyon in the southern bradshaws, real prime rattler country. I had a gun with me, but not the proper one. A belt fed semiauto shotgun. I don't know why i haven't got hit, setting down next to them, walking over them, chasing them in high brush in shorts, but i got to tell you, you have one buzzing at you at your feet, even an old fat man learns to jump. I have a vacquero .45colt i handloaded snake shot for this particular issue.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It was Dave Duncan, I trusted him. Doctors don't always pick this stuff up. Few years ago I had two goldies out on table mesa road, just south of new river. They had just got through playing in the aqua fria, which was running. I had made the mistake of having them off leash. They were running a head of me, and were under the shade of some mesquite where i figure they both got bit, but didn't know it at the time. Both started to go down, and we got lucky with some a.t.v.'s that went by, getting them down to my truck and to an emergency vet. He said it was heat prostration, which I didn't really understand as they were wet from the river. Few days later this was over the memoril day weekend, transfered the one dog to regular vet and he died. We were really upset and took the other dog up to prescott. On the way back she was laying in my wife's lap and we noticed some blood on her back. Shaving the hair off, we found the two puncture marks from a snake bite. I think the first dog got the big dose, she got a lessor amount. She recovered but the hair turned white around where bit. Vet still swore up and down heat prostration, couldn't answer the friggin puncture wounds. I switched vets, but probably should have sued him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
most bites come from people actually trying to mess with them.....venom is expensive and snakes often make the decision not to strike if they think they can avoid it......some species are more aggressive than others though, cottonmouths seem to be in a constant state of pissed the [bleep] off, but the prairie rattlers round here 9 times out of 10 i notice them after they have started to make their exit from my vicinity....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
and this is the other half of the story. That dog weighed about 100 pounds. I figure when I blow to eternity about 100 pounds of snake we will be somewhat equal. I am still working on it, but there are less snakes around than before.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rattler

in the 11 years ive been with my wife ive run into 3 doctors that claimed there is no such thing as migraines and that my wife was just a drug addict looking for a fix.....just cause you can find someone with letters behind there name that says something doesnt mean what they say is true or what is accepted by a hell of alot of people with letters behind their names....you dont have to be a genius to get a PhD or an MD, infact some with them are [bleep] retards....

Anyone that dares to claim such a thing is full of it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
no, its not a bacterium, its a protien in the venom setting off a localized autoimmune response which is why as noted above, the application of steroids seems to help....the body is turning on itself like it does in rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.......

Dexamethasone (in tobradex) did nothing to the brown recluse bite I got on a leg. The area eventually started turning black and dying.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

in the 11 years ive been with my wife ive run into 3 doctors that claimed there is no such thing as migraines and that my wife was just a drug addict looking for a fix.....just cause you can find someone with letters behind there name that says something doesnt mean what they say is true or what is accepted by a hell of alot of people with letters behind their names....you dont have to be a genius to get a PhD or an MD, infact some with them are [bleep] retards....

Anyone that dares to claim such a thing is full of it.

try running into one when your wife is in pain and he is the only doc in 50 miles on a weekend.....the one its prolly a damn good thing my brother happened to be with us cause he drug me out of the ER when the [bleep] got in my face bout getting my wife to quit being a junkie.....i was gonna haul his arse down to my shop, put his head in a vice crank it good and tight and ask him if it hurt.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
no, its not a bacterium, its a protien in the venom setting off a localized autoimmune response which is why as noted above, the application of steroids seems to help....the body is turning on itself like it does in rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.......

Dexamethasone (in tobradex) did nothing to the brown recluse bite I got on a leg. The area eventually started turning black and dying.

i said tends to, not will......problem with autoimmune responses its your own body doing the real damage....the reason it didnt work for you is the reason there isnt a magic bullet for other autoimmune diseases like celiac disease, eczema, rheumatoid arthritis and any other of the 100 plus such diseases....each person is different so you wont find a magic bullet that works for everyone......steriods tend to shut down the immune system to a degree so they help with autoimmune response most of the time, but not always....

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 31 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.