Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by broomd

I've been blessed with a room-full of DIY rams (dall and others), I'm sure others have too, but here are my thoughts after years of trial and error...

Take the hiking sticks. I question the sanity of anyone who doesn't use them. Use anti-shock. Between my friends and I several of us experience instant wrist problems if we don't use the anti-shock spring-loaded style.

Do NOT take moth balls into the pristine wilds. That poison has no business on a sheep hunt! A few drops of pine sol may work fine to deter bears, I dunno.

Try your friends backpack out. Wear it with weight, train with it.
Take it to a reputable outdoor shop, if they fit it to you and it feels great, use it. Save the $600 guys are giving way for a Kifaru. If it won't work, bite the bullet or ask your guide for his take. He might have one.

Take the fly rod. If your guide says leave it behind with your flying (travel) clothes, leave it behind. Better to be prepared for some great grayling fishing than wish you had it.
I lived in AK and have had my chance to catch the helloutta them, so I wouldn't bring it myself. If you've never caught them? Bring it and hope for an opportunity.

Don't use an antiperspirant anything. That seems like a no-brainer to anyone who is health minded, but clogging your armpit pores, feet etc. is stupidity, imho.
You sweat for a reason. Wear good socks to wick moisture.
For your pits, buy a scent-free all-natural deodorant like Tom's of Maine and cut the deo stick out of it and put it in a zip lock. Use as needed. Gold bond has a strong odor, I'd leave that [bleep] at home.

Take the .308 and the Leupy. If, like you said, you have a good bear load for it, use that gun for both species with confidence.

Check with your guide; he'll very likely have a rangefinder, if not, take one. I missed my first ram without one years ago and swore I'd never sheep or goat hunt without one again. It's been 100% success since.

Leave the gaiters off the sheep mountain. They are just more weight and constriction and aren't necessary. I never use them either way, but I guess for bear country they'd be justified.
Break your boots in well. Train with them.
Don't forget the second skin, or moleskin, for rare blisters or rub spots. If your feet heat up, take the time to air them out properly.

Hope this helps. This advice has come from years of both mistakes and success--all DIY.

Another of AOD's finest...

Laughing here!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Gold bond has a strong odor, I'd leave that [bleep] at home.

No disrepect, but after several days of climbing mountains in August, you will have a funk that no will stand downwind of you, and you're saying Goldbond has an odor, TFF..Are you planning on approaching game from upwind?

Check with your guide; he'll very likely have a rangefinder, if not, take one. I missed my first ram without one years ago and swore I'd never sheep or goat hunt without one again. It's been 100% success since.

I don't care what the guide says,You take your own. He loses his, batterys die, etc etc...This simple lesson cost me thousands of dollars.

Nothing personal, just difference of opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Gold bond has a strong odor, I'd leave that [bleep] at home.

No disrepect, but after several days of climbing mountains in August, you will have a funk that no will stand downwind of you, and you're saying Goldbond has an odor, TFF..Are you planning on approaching game from upwind?

I don't care what the guide says,You take your own. He loses his, batterys die, etc etc...This simple lesson cost me thousands of dollars.

Nothing personal, just difference of opinion.

Point taken, Ken. You're right about the RF. I've not used a guide; indeed, I'd take my own with what you've said.
We disagree about the Gold Bond.
That's the joy of freedom of choice with our gear and hunts.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Another of AOD's finest...

Laughing here!

Thank you Sitka.
I consider that a badge of honor, the proof is in the DIY harvest success. Wanna talk about that?

And anymore I have zero to do with AOD and seldom frequent there; but that said, there is lots of good info to be had there.
O.P.--it's absolutely worth a posting there to add to what you garnish here.

And Sitka, if you find my posting that funny, you need a L I F E and some joy, dude.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Disabusing you of your fantasies is the least of my concerns.

You could answer your own questions with a search right here, though.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bloodworks
I'd use a loaner rifle long before I would a loaner pack. Bad idea.

Just reread this and have to say there is a lot more sense in it than just about anything else posted.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've been blessed with a room-full of DIY rams (dall and others), I'm sure others have too, but here are my thoughts after years of trial and error...

Take the hiking sticks. I question the sanity of anyone who doesn't use them. Use anti-shock. Between my friends and I several of us experience instant wrist problems if we don't use the anti-shock spring-loaded style.

Do NOT take moth balls into the pristine wilds. That poison has no business on a sheep hunt! A few drops of pine sol may work fine to deter bears, I dunno.

Take it to a reputable outdoor shop, if they fit it to you and it feels great, use it. Save the $600 guys are giving way for a Kifaru. If it won't work, bite the bullet or ask your guide for his take. He might have one.

Take the fly rod. If your guide says leave it behind with your flying (travel) clothes, leave it behind. Better to be prepared for some great grayling fishing than wish you had it.
I lived in AK and have had my chance to catch the helloutta them, so I wouldn't bring it myself. If you've never caught them? Bring it and hope for an opportunity.

Don't use an antiperspirant anything. That seems like a no-brainer to anyone who is health minded, but clogging your armpit pores, feet etc. is stupidity, imho.
For your pits, buy a scent-free all-natural deodorant like Tom's of Maine and cut the deo stick out of it and put it in a zip lock. Use as needed. Gold bond has a strong odor, I'd leave that [bleep] at home.

Take the .308 and the Leupy. If, like you said, you have a good bear load for it, use that gun for both species with confidence.

Leave the gaiters off the sheep mountain. They are just more weight and constriction and aren't necessary. I never use them either way, but I guess for bear country they'd be justified.
Don't forget the second skin, or moleskin, for rare blisters or rub spots. If your feet heat up, take the time to air them out properly.

Hope this helps. This advice has come from years of both mistakes and success--all DIY.

Just had two calls from friends that insisted people would not understand just how freaking stupid and clueless your points are unless I point them out clearly. Fortunately for you I can only type slowly, so you may be able to follow the points...

Roomful... kind of an interesting number, but I killed DIY sheep 14 years in a row. I have killed others. I have guided sheep hunters. I suspect my hands have been in an order of magnitude more sheep guts than you have seen.

I hear the limp-of-wrist benefit from braces... I would not know as the dozens and dozens of folks I have been with in the mountains have never been afflicted with your curse. I do not know anyone that has used the "anti-shock" AKA gay version of walking sticks.

Your Greenpeace attitudes are duly noted on moth balls and Pine Sol and can only laugh about them. You said it better than I could, obviously.

Where did the OP mention borrowing a friend's pack? I missed that along with everyone else with a scintilla of reading comprehension.

"Reputable outdoor shop" for adjusting? Taking a mythical pack to a mythical shop for a pimply-faced summer hire to adjust simply strikes me as really special. YMMV

Now you get back to borrowing from the guide without mentioning how he should train with it.

Finally!! Here is a single sentence that makes sense! It is a defensible argument on bringing the rod. Congratulations! You made sense for 33 whole words! I do not agree, but accept the fact you might be right under the conditions that will exist on the ground in August. This will be your only positive note... Do not let it go to your head.

Antiperspirant has been tested for decades and is not a health issue... period. Even if it were a long-term health issue you would not be looking at long-term issues with a single hunt and run-up to the hunt to help control the single most critical issue in the entire hunt; bad feet.

Antiperspirant works and works well. Anyone that denies that and admits they have never used it deserves every last word of derision possible. Especially when your absolute stupidity might lead someone away from it that could really use it. You show a clear lack of experience in the importance of conrolling wet feet, especially on others. The OP early on realized how important Ironbender's post was and will probably use it and benefit greatly from it. That would be without thanks to you...

And just where did you pull the armpit comment from? No one suggested it was to control anything other than excess foot perspiration. Prejuidicing an important point with noise generated from sheer stupidity is really something to be proud of. Congratulations!

Whoooooopsss! You may have made sense on two points! The 308 will work fine. Who would have thought there would be two positive points??? Amazing!

My rangefinder goes with me every hunt, every time... If there is ever a problem it is only on me. And I even change batteries before every major event. They are too cheap to ignore.

Just exactly what does your cluelessness think gaiters are for? Yes for bear hunts but no for sheep??? I would hate to have to pay your "recreational" reality bills! Gaiters are the single most important thing to protect your boot laces and uppers in scree and shale slides... That one of your professed outdoorsman status has not seen that despite a "roomful" of DIY trophies is at best comical. Or Pathetic... your call.

Rare blisters? More laughing...

Airing out boots and feet? What happens when they swell like EVERY over-heated foot does when you take that boot off?

Have you ever really left the house?

Congrats, I think you would score 100% on the AOD scale despite two not-quite-wrong points!

Only problem is deciding between laughing and crying...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Broomd,

Why do you like the anti-shocks...I bought a pair a couple years ago cause they were actually cheaper than the standard ones and after using both I prefer teh standards...lighter weight and I really don't see or feel what the antishocks do for ya.

Just curious what you like about them.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Just had two calls from friends that insisted people would not understand just how freaking stupid and clueless your points are unless I point them out clearly. Fortunately for you I can only type slowly, so you may be able to follow the points...

Roomful... kind of an interesting number, but I killed DIY sheep 14 years in a row. I have killed others. I have guided sheep hunters. I suspect my hands have been in an order of magnitude more sheep guts than you have seen.

I hear the limp-of-wrist benefit from braces... I would not know as the dozens and dozens of folks I have been with in the mountains have never been afflicted with your curse. I do not know anyone that has used the "anti-shock" AKA gay version of walking sticks.

Your Greenpeace attitudes are duly noted on moth balls and Pine Sol and can only laugh about them. You said it better than I could, obviously.

Where did the OP mention borrowing a friend's pack? I missed that along with everyone else with a scintilla of reading comprehension.

"Reputable outdoor shop" for adjusting? Taking a mythical pack to a mythical shop for a pimply-faced summer hire to adjust simply strikes me as really special. YMMV

Now you get back to borrowing from the guide without mentioning how he should train with it.

Finally!! Here is a single sentence that makes sense! It is a defensible argument on bringing the rod. Congratulations! You made sense for 33 whole words! I do not agree, but accept the fact you might be right under the conditions that will exist on the ground in August. This will be your only positive note... Do not let it go to your head.

Antiperspirant has been tested for decades and is not a health issue... period. Even if it were a long-term health issue you would not be looking at long-term issues with a single hunt and run-up to the hunt to help control the single most critical issue in the entire hunt; bad feet.

Antiperspirant works and works well. Anyone that denies that and admits they have never used it deserves every last word of derision possible. Especially when your absolute stupidity might lead someone away from it that could really use it. You show a clear lack of experience in the importance of conrolling wet feet, especially on others. The OP early on realized how important Ironbender's post was and will probably use it and benefit greatly from it. That would be without thanks to you...

And just where did you pull the armpit comment from? No one suggested it was to control anything other than excess foot perspiration. Prejuidicing an important point with noise generated from sheer stupidity is really something to be proud of. Congratulations!

Whoooooopsss! You may have made sense on two points! The 308 will work fine. Who would have thought there would be two positive points??? Amazing!

My rangefinder goes with me every hunt, every time... If there is ever a problem it is only on me. And I even change batteries before every major event. They are too cheap to ignore.

Just exactly what does your cluelessness think gaiters are for? Yes for bear hunts but no for sheep??? I would hate to have to pay your "recreational" reality bills! Gaiters are the single most important thing to protect your boot laces and uppers in scree and shale slides... That one of your professed outdoorsman status has not seen that despite a "roomful" of DIY trophies is at best comical. Or Pathetic... your call.

Rare blisters? More laughing...

Airing out boots and feet? What happens when they swell like EVERY over-heated foot does when you take that boot off?

Have you ever really left the house?

Congrats, I think you would score 100% on the AOD scale despite two not-quite-wrong points!

Only problem is deciding between laughing and crying...

Writing a post of that length just for me? You need a life or hobby or both. (I read the first and last sentence--took awhile to scroll) means I really got under your paper-thin skin.
Love it!

Kenneth disagreed with some of my points, but he oozed class. That's what adults do.

You? Ad hominem first post followed by page-length whine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best and only move you have considering you have nothing worth reading to add...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Broomd,

Why do you like the anti-shocks...I bought a pair a couple years ago cause they were actually cheaper than the standard ones and after using both I prefer teh standards...lighter weight and I really don't see or feel what the antishocks do for ya.

Just curious what you like about them.

Thanks

Lanche,

I think some guys have wrists more prone to fubar than others. <me>. Then again 50 is rapidly approaching for me.
I started using anti-shocks in '01 and haven't looked
back--other than the year I used the fixed Black Diamonds.

The fixed were very light and had the nifty flick-lock, but I might have been too used to the spring loaded pole, I had wrist pain after using them for only a few hours.
I went back to the Lekis and have been fine.

I've talked to a couple guys who experienced the same thing.

Plus I like the spring action when leaning on the pole and climbing out of a low spot with a heavy pack.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
take what your guide says to take and he will realize that you can read and listen and wont treat you like an idiot for the rest of your trip smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCJR
take what your guide says to take and he will realize that you can read and listen and wont treat you like an idiot for the rest of your trip smile

The best advice yet!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCJR

Now that right there makes the most sense of anything "contributed" so far. Pay attention here.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ya wanna know why, I didn't have my range finder with me at the time I really needed it?

Cause the Guide said, I should leave mine at basecamp,has he always has his,

Guides make mistakes every day, just like you and I....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
ya wanna know why, I didn't have my range finder with me at the time I really needed it?

Cause the Guide said, I should leave mine at basecamp, has he always has his,

Guides make mistakes every day, just like you and I....

Yep. Guides are just people and make mistakes and forget things too.

Although, it would be interesting to see what guides put on the b!tch list about clients.
A 'guess' list...
1. Out of shape/lazy
2. Know-it-alls. 3. Unprepared gear-wise 4. Unrealistic expectations.

I haven't a clue, but would like to know.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll never be without my own rangefinder. And my own GPS.

Be in shape. Carry some of your own personal survival gear. Make sure there is commo IE SPOT or Sat phone at camp.

The guide can die out in the field leaving you for yourself.

Beyond that I defer to the guide. My only other issue being guided, I feel that generally it shoudl be up to the hunter to pick his clothing, IE combos that work for him. If he doesn't know then defer to suggestions.

What I'd expect out of a hunter... be in shape. Be able to shoot. Dont' expect the largest one out there, though we'll try, but be ready to accept nothing. And enjoy the experience. Offer to pitch in where you can. It may be refused but offer anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been on four guided Dall hunts and Lord willing will go again in 2014 (Brooks). I have to agree on the lower power scope. Last year after the stalk, we set up on a group of rams at about 200 yards. I had the scope maxed out on 15X, could count the hairs...
Anyway, as I was waiting for the perfect shot to line up, the guide and I were discussing the qualities of the two larger rams, and which one to take. It then occurred to me that if all the rams ran at the shot, I might not be able to follow the chosen one for a follow up shot at 15X. I twisted down to what felt right (6X) and bang flop no worries.
I now have a Leupold 2.5-8X on the sheep rifle.
Also, Lowa makes a good boot, I'd suggest logging about 50 miles in up, down terrain.
Don

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have never hunted in Alaska, but, have spent quite some time in northern BC, hunting and other stuff as well as having lived for periods of three straight months alone on top of a mountain, right on the BC-AK border. I also have backpacked for work and recreation since spring 1964, all over BC and some of Alberta.

So, I would suggest.

1. Poles, I have Komperdell C3s and Black Diamond Carbon whatevers, their top model. I tried Lekies, do not care for anti-shock, some do some don't--I prefer the BDs to any others I have tried.

2. Gaiters, I have several different pairs for different uses and do not go into the mountains without at least one pair. I am buying others to try, as these are a crucial part of MY clothing.

3. Range finder....I AM buying one, just put this off as I have not been able to hunt much for three years as my wife was very ill and my partner has one. BUT, I definitely consider them VERY worthwhile and, btw, I am a former wilderness worker whose job entailed judging distances quickly and am good at it, still, a Leica 12 or 1600 is in MY future.

4. Wet feet KILL a trip, USE the anti-perspirant, have spare socks, change 2-3 times per day and I like Gold Bond Foot Powder plus I prefer plastic bandaids, the large ones covered by fabric Elastplast over moleskin AND I bandage instantly when I feel a "hot spot".

5. Listen to SD on footwear and gloves,he is right and while beeswax is a lot of work to do right and many boots cannot be so treated as you dare not heat them due to plastic heel counters, so use Obenauf's OP, the beeswax is better than ANY other H2O proofing for all leather boots.

6. I NEVER go ANYWHERE, even with a companion, without a very light emergency camp, would have my own GPS and BUY YOUR OWN DECENT pack, as most in gear stores know jackschit about pack fitting, especially for hunting loads.

Last, yappy old geezer that I am, I use 1.75x6. 2.5x8 Leupies, 3x9-Z3 Swaros and 3x9 Conquests on my lighter rifles and I find the Leupies as good as you will ever need in the mountains and LIGHTER than the somewhat optically better Conquests-I don't like the more costly Swaro and won't buy another.

The final suggestion, most crucial for we OLD guys, get into the best shape of your life and then improve that, this really makes the difference.......and, use the .308!

HTH, and may I offer you the very best of luck on your hunt smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What's the census on plastic boots? And what style on crampons you guys prefer?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay

6. I NEVER go ANYWHERE, even with a companion, without a very light emergency camp,

No argument with that point.

Remember quite well back to 2002 when son got his first dall (at last light on opening day).
We were four miles from base in rough jagged country and had no emergency camp (we only going to "walk/scout down the ridge before turning in for the night"--yeah right). Yards turned into miles.
It was a long, cold night of shivering and jumping jacks over that dead sheep.
Lesson learned.

We had little cover and used whites to fool that wary ram.

Best of luck HTH.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.