-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To each their own, but I would recommend an external frame pack. I think its way more versatile than an internal.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
I have carried both external and internals on sheep hunts.

It is true - externals are more versatile.

Barneys packs are great.

Last edited by Ready; 06/02/13. Reason: ;-) Learned something and edited post to reflect.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Whenever people talk about Barney's packs they are referring to the external frame frontier gear of Alaska models.

Campfire Tracker
Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
http://barneyssports.com/backpacks/...laska-frieghter-frame-pinnacle-pack.html

This is the pack I am talking about and the one up above in the picture, drying out.

My bad - it is indeed listed as an external...

I just carry it, I guess.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll be taking my Barney's setup. I'm thinking I might replace the pinnacle bag for a new one or go with a hunter bag.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I heard people mention get a Barney's pack but should it be internal frame or external frame? Which is best for sheep hunting?

IMHO, NO, no way! My partner tried an internal (one of the more common ones often mentioned on the board) and he said it sucked. They keep you bent over too much while walking. Get an external frame pack and tighten up the belt so your hips take most of the weight. You can then loosen the shoulder straps to "snug" to take some of the weight off them. Much easier on you.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 06/03/13.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks

IMHO, NO, no way! My partner tried an internal (one of the more common ones often mentioned on the board) and he said it sucked. They keep you bent over too much while walking. Get an external frame pack and tighten up the belt so your hips take most of the weight. You can then loosen the shoulder straps to "snug" to take some of the weight off them. Much easier on you.
Bear in Fairbanks

Sounds like that pack wasn't fitted to the user properly...
I'm not a fan of "Barney's"...but no reason for that kind of problem unless fit was never right from the start.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There are a lot of packs that will work. The Barney's pack is a good one, but I think you could save some money going with an older Dana or similar. I am a fan of externals, but plan to run an internal this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
certainly no expert, but I've been fortunate to use some decent packs

Barney's, McHale, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs.

if I'm going to have to haul a butt busting load, I'll take the Barney's thank you. YMMV

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My mileage has not varied at all actually, although my pack experience is considerably less.

My training pack is a Camp Trails. Solid pack frame, and that particular one has been around the block... The pack would not be the weak link in the equation if that was your choice, but it is not the most comfortable thing ever invented. It makes me appreciate my Barney's Pack. I consider it (the Barney's Pack) one of the very best investments I've made in my life.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
certainly no expert, but I've been fortunate to use some decent packs

Barney's, McHale, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs.

if I'm going to have to haul a butt busting load, I'll take the Barney's thank you. YMMV

Are you saying here that you have found the Barney's external frame pack, which is, as I understand it---and, I freely admit, I have not seen one, only photos--- to be BETTER at hauling really heavy loads than one of Dan McHale's custom expedition packs?

I ask, not to further foolish controversy over "whose is best", but, I am considering the purchase of an "Inex" from Dan and he does offer varying grades of "frame" rigidity, depending on your projected loads. So, did you have one of his large, big load packs correctly fitted to YOU and, if so, was this LESS comfortable, FOR YOU, than the Barney's?

I think that I have read MAYBE 2 negative comments about the Barney's packs over my 9 years on various forums and while that design, the old CampTrails "Freighter" is one I have extensive experience with, I understand that there are improvements over it, in the actual Barney's packs.

So, I am impressed by all the positive feedback concerning them and am just curious as to the McHale issue?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TFF Chris, I too use my old camp trails to train with, and save the wear and tear on my Barney's for actual hunts.

kutenay, admittedly some of my choice is just personal preference.

I've hauled a lot of heavy loads (too many for a guy my size) over the years, both as a guide on hunts and for my own personal hunting. Started out with a Kelty frame with just a backpack lashed to it for my personal gear, then purchased a camp trails, big improvement for me, just dropping meat inside the pack rather than having to lash the meat to the frame, just much faster.

had an outfitter over for a barbeque and had been out on a training run when he told me my Camp Trails was "chitty" ???? and turned me onto the Barney's pack. Did have to do some welding to my Camp Trails after too many heavy loads. Used the Barney's a lot after purchasing it, lots of heavy loads, sometimes 2-3 moose per season, most often a Dall sheep, and lots of caribou quarters have gone piggy back on me in that particular pack.

Only started trying the externals 5-6 years ago, and truthfully for non hunting I think I prefer internal packs, particularly the Mystery Ranch though it's a heavy pack to begin with. I used it when we backpacked down into the Grand Canyon about 5 years ago.

ime, comfort pretty much leaves the building when I put over 100- 125 lbs. in any pack to haul out. Though I can go a long ways with a moose quarter in my Barney's pack. All the packing I've done has contributed some wear and tear to my Barney's pack, but even more to myself, knees, shoulder surgeries etc.

I've hunted out of that Barney's pack so much and so often, I may not be the best person to give a good opinion on the merits of it versus a MR or McHale or Kifaru.

I've tried all 3 of those systems, though I've never hauled game loads in the internals, just dead weight for training runs.

they never seemed as (hate to use the word) comfortable to me with heavy training loads ( I normally don't train with any more than 90 lbs. in my pack) as the Barney's.

but admittedly even though I truly do prefer the Barney's for hauling 100 lb. + loads, there's other reasons Barney's is my favorite hunting pack.

for one, it's rigid, and I take the top bar off my external frames, they fit in a SuperCub easier that way, I like the fact that I can prop it up with a hiking pole to load and unload.

the fact that it's rigid also aids (ime) putting the pack on with a heavy load in it vs. internal frames. To me that's one of the most difficult aspects of hauling heavy loads, getting it on yourself and getting up, once you're upright or loaded, you're just hauling a butt busting load no matter what pack you're carrying the freight within. But I do find I'm able to walk more upright with a heavy load (90 lbs. +) in an external vs. internal pack

also when I've stripped my load down for hunting, it provides a good chair back with my butt pad that I haul between the frame and the pack for extended glassing.

it also provides a better windbreak when set on edge, so I can continue to glass when the wind is howling.

but the number one reason beyond it's ability to help me carry a heavy load that I love an external particularly my Barney's pack
is that it's an invaluable shooting aid for me. Particularly with the top bar removed as I use mine. Offhand is my weakest shooting position, I much prefer a rest for my shooting, and hunting above timberline or in tundra, sometimes you can find a rock or hummock (if you have time to do so) to give me a steady position to shoot from. I do use a Kifaru gun bearer on all my packs, and even with just lunch, a jacket, raingear , spotter, tripod and survival stuff and in my Barney's I can go from upright with rifle in the gun bearer to sitting and a steady rest, in less than a second or two.

I can't stress how valuable that is to me and the way I hunt.

it's as good as shooting off a bench to me, while prone perhaps might be a bit steadier, after offhand it's my least favorite way to shoot, as I find often there's enough vegetation even in alpine or tundra that prone severely limits my view.

Shooting off my pack is danged near as steady for me as shooting off a shooting bench. but way more flexible as I can move my bench (the pack) forward or backward for elevation or even turn it a bit for walking game if need be.

and it's super quick for me to go from walking upright with rifle stored (leaving my hands free for hiking pole or quick glassing) to sitting with an almost rock solid rest and pasting crosshairs on my target.

But even taking those things away, with the last being of paramount importance to me and the way I hunt.

Yes I do prefer to haul a heavy load with my external over an internal.

I know and respect hunters that use internals and it works best for them and the way they hunt.

but in my personal experience, I much prefer the Barney's both for hauling heavy loads "comfortably" (lol, that's such a poor word for this application) and just to hunt with.

same way with binocs, I've had the great opportunity to use all the high end glass out there, Swavorski, Leica, Zeiss etc. for extensive periods of time. And good optics are wonderful, imo&e one of the top things that help determine a successful hunt. But I still prefer my old Zeiss Classics in 10x40, (provided I keep the lenses clean) as they just fit me.

I'm prejudiced towards them, I've used them for many, many days and hours afield. They just fit me, or perhaps through extended use I fit them might be more appropriate terminology.

in much the same way I may be "prejudiced" on my preference for external vs. internal.

so there's no way I can ever say what's "best" for someone else, but I do have definite opinions on what's best for me and the way I hunt

but admittedly some of my preference is undoubtedly influenced by how much time I've spent with a particular piece of gear.

I like new as much as the next guy, but when push comes to shove, I'll reach for tried and true every day of the week.

jeezus I feel like I need a freakin editor and publisher after that diatribe!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,269
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.