Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Will be hunting mule deer in Utah this October and will need to pick up a few items when we arrive but not sure where to go for them. We will be flying into Salt Lake City and spending one afternoon and overnight there and was wondering where to go to pick up supplies such as sleeping bag, soft gun case, coolers for bringing meat back, etc. Also what do you suggest for local hotels and restaurants in Salt Lake City? Thanks for any info you can provide. Tony

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a Cabelas in Provo(?) close to SLC. Actually just south off I-15 listed in Lehi Utah. Als a Sportsman Warehouse.

Google or Bing is your friend. Can't help with hotels or restaurants.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus a couple of REI's, backcountry.com store front, and a Patagonia Outlet. In fact it's pretty hard NOT to find a place to get outdoor gear in/around SLC. As far as hotels, the Crystal Inn is pretty nice and not that expensive, but it is sorta downtown. Letting us know which way you are heading from SLC would allow us to narrow down the choices a bit.

If you like meat, I'd suggest hitting Rodizio Grill for dinner. You'll eat enough that you might be able to skip a few days worth of meals.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There is a giant new Scheels just south of SLC too. I think they call it Sandy, Ut. Right off I-15. It is a little closer to SLC than the Cabelas.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't go to SLC often..too much concrete & traffic for me...

seems there is a Sportsmans Wharehouse on 7200 S just east of 15

REI...Cabelas in Lehi....yes the new Scheels right on I 15

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the info. We will be heading northwest toward Grouse Creek for the hunt. Trying to keep luggage down for the flight out, then ship gear back and fly back with meat and guns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If heading towards Grouse Creek then Scheels, REI, and Cabela's are in the wrong direction. There is a Sportsman's Warehouse in Riverdale that would be on your way. One of my favorite outdoor supply stores is a bit south of the Airport but not by a lot. Kirkham's is around 31st South and State street. Top brands and knowledgeable staff. Gallenson's is one of my favorite gun shops in downtown SLC if you need to pick up anything firearm or ammo related.

Many good places with lots of variety to eat at in the SLC area. Less so traveling North, but still some good eats. What types of food are you looking to eat?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For coolers I'd just go to WalMart. There'll be plenty along the way on I-15. I-15 north then west at Park Valley is a much nicer route than going west on I-80 to NV then north to Grouse Creek. As stated above, there's a Sportsman's just off I-15 in Riverdale that'd be easy to get to on the way. As far as eateries heading north, I'd suggest either Jerimiah's in Ogden or Ruby River in Riverdale.

After re-reading the OP, I don't think I'd be buying some of that stuff once I landed. I know I'd want a few nights in and lots of looking over of a sleeping bag, for example, before heading most way across the country. If you can't get everything you need into 2 checked bags and a carry on for the trip to UT I'd say you're packing too much. The $50 savings on the second bag would not be worth having to rely on some new gear that may have problems.

Make sure to stope in at the Grouse Creek Mall... laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was thinking of suggesting Ruby River if that's the style of food he was looking for (Steak & Potatoes). Right down the road from Sportsman's...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yept.....Ruby River is the steak joint......good chow

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Meat and taters can never be a bad choice! The reason for trying to pick up gear is because I will have the gun case, duffel bag and carry on for the trip out and airlines are getting pretty tight on extra baggage. I hear what your saying about gear you never got a chance to try but that is about the only place I have flexibility. The list that the outfitter supplied seemed a little over the top but rather have something and not need than need and not have. Thanks for all the feedback, it's been great. Still wondering and a little SCARED about this Grouse Creek Mall! Tony

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing you'll be in some kind of drive to camp or cabin.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying the sleeping bag there. It isn't like this is a backpack hunt in a tiny tent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bowandgun
Still wondering and a little SCARED about this Grouse Creek Mall!

I've never been to Grouse Creek, but only know it by reputation. Grouse Creek has a population of about 80 people, a small general store and post office, the Grouse Creek school (Kindergarten - Grade 10), a BLM office and an LDS (Mormon) Church. Unless there is something in Grouse Creek jokingly refered to as "the mall", I imagine pointer was just being funny. laugh

The closest thing to a real shopping mall would be about 170 miles away...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BG,
You might want to consider shipping your sleeping bag,favorite pillow, heavy boots, gators, thermos, a couple of pair of extra socks and your ammo out a week ahead via UPS or Fed EX in a good reusable box. Outfitters typically will have a shipping address and will have your stuff for you in camp when you get there.
When you head back home if you plan it right you can add a couple of items that were in your duffle to the box you will ship back home to make room for meat and you might get an item or two in your gun case making a little more room in your duffle.
Unless you check a third bag coming home it is going to be real hard to bring the meat back in your duffle. Cape and horns will be a consideration too unless you leave it in Utah with a taxidermist. If you would like send me a PM and I will be glad to help you if you feel the need.

Dave

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bow and gun,

That is some neat country over in Grouse Creek. I have hunted nearby for about 20 years. Seen some nice deer over the years in the farmers alfalfa fields in that area too.

If your area is like mine, you will have opportunities to shoot long distances so be prepared. That said, I have harvested with bow and several with a muzzle stuffer so you can get close.

Have fun and congrats. You have received some good advice. If you spend any time in the Ogden/Riverdale area, Timbermine and Prairie Schooner are both better than Ruby River. It is good, but the others are better.

Be prepared for cold weather or warm weather. Last year opening day was beautiful up to 70ish degrees. Three days later there was a foot of snow on the ground with bitter cold temps and winds.

Have fun! FH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Azar
Originally Posted by bowandgun
Still wondering and a little SCARED about this Grouse Creek Mall!

I've never been to Grouse Creek, but only know it by reputation. Grouse Creek has a population of about 80 people, a small general store and post office, the Grouse Creek school (Kindergarten - Grade 10), a BLM office and an LDS (Mormon) Church. Unless there is something in Grouse Creek jokingly refered to as "the mall", I imagine pointer was just being funny. laugh

The closest thing to a real shopping mall would be about 170 miles away...
The bolded portion is the mall!! laugh There used to be a sign just north of town that directed one to it.

I've spent ALOT of time in that country (8 straight M-F weeks in one summer alone). Very neat with lots of interesting history. If you're going with an outfitter, which wasn't stated in the OP, I'd have no problems buy a sleeping bag. As Ralphie stated, you'll probably be in a camp trailer, cabin, or wall tent. That said, I've flown out for hunts with all the gear I needed for 7+ day long hunts and everything fit in one bag + a gun case, with both being under the 50# limit. One thing I do, is I use a gun case that holds two guns, but I only take one. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can fit in the other gun compartment.

Have fun and good luck!!!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Another place to get some gear is Recreational Outlet. They have a location just across the street from Kirkham's on State Street in Salt Lake City, and a location in Ogden (north of Salt Lake). They tend to have close-outs and knock-off brands. Some items in the store are a bargain, others are not. Might be worth a look if you want to keep to a budget.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I agree whole heartedly with seppli. Recreation Outlet is a great resource.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there is just about anything you want to pick up here, if headed to grouse creek, the riverdale sportsmans is along the way as well as smith and edwards which is a cool stop even if you don't need anything, although they close fairly early in the evening. also maddox steakhouse is the place to go if you are in the area around brigham city.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smith and Edwards and Maddox Steakhouse. Both good suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.