Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
He should be.....calamari and Schlitz!!!

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by HawkI
Gawd I love me some Colt 45......

(Johnny Walker Red or Blue, to Travis)

I like the muthaphuckin' 8 Ball.

If you see kamo, tell him the Hawks are moving forward and he should be nervous.

Travis

We'll see, both about who will go to the dance, and more importantly, whose word is good on settling up, whatever the final result. I've got my suspicions. Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey (or Olde English 800 in your case).

wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
The best Gizzards were from Sal's Birdland,breaded and deepfried smothered in Sal's sassy sauce

[Linked Image]

THAT looks fanfriggintastic!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My question is ... Do y'all eat strange stuff like gizzards (wild goose is best), elk/moose/deer heart and tongues?

Steve,

Yes, we eat all bird hearts and gizzards some livers-mostly grouse. Rabbit heart too.

Elk and deer heart is eaten up immediately. The liver and brains If I am where I can get them cooled and rinsed.

Oddly, I have never had tongue by itself [in headcheese yes]. I will have to try some.

Dad liked mountain oysters. I have never tried any.

KFC used to have the gizzards at the store on Powell. Yummy!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
Steve,
Growing up on a farm in Central Texas to a Czech born family i can honestly say it all sounds good. Funny, my children, both teens, fight over my chicken gizzards. Everyone should try turkey necks prepared the same way as you do the gizzards once before you die. Unbelievable.
TexasBBQ

Remember killing the hogs, rolling them in a hot ash bath and scraping the hairs with the metal cup thingie. Then, butchering.

The sausage, we'd grind and fry out the patties and put them in a crock-jar with fat all around and over the top. The sausage was sealed so well, it would keep forever. So, so, so good.

Blessings,

Steve

Oh man, and our priest, Father Arthur would always be there and he'd always eat the pig ears out of the wash pot BEFORE they could be put into breakfast sausage BUT no one would stop him!!!

Serious memories, thanks.

Pickled pig ears - now you are talking! Father Arthur would have loved being on the farm with me when my grandparents were still with us.

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
My question is ... Do y'all eat strange stuff like gizzards (wild goose is best), elk/moose/deer heart and tongues?

Steve,

Yes, we eat all bird hearts and gizzards some livers-mostly grouse. Rabbit heart too.

Elk and deer heart is eaten up immediately. The liver and brains If I am where I can get them cooled and rinsed.

Oddly, I have never had tongue by itself [in headcheese yes]. I will have to try some.

Dad liked mountain oysters. I have never tried any.

KFC used to have the gizzards at the store on Powell. Yummy!

I went to Cleveland High School (Class of 61) and there was a large drive-in at the place where Foster splits off of Powell. The drive-in was named The Speck and gals on roller-skates used to take your order and bring it to your car. Yep, they set a little table thingie on the side of your car (you had to roll your window up about an inch).

The Speck's specialty was broasted chicken and hamburgers. My favorite on the menu was very popular also. For .99 cents, you got a tub of slow-cooked gizzards & gravy and another tub of mashed potatoes with creamery butter. Man, that was soooo delicious.

The Speck is gone now, but not the memories.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I was devastated when KFC took fried chicken livers off the menu. My mother fed us beef heart and tongue quite often when my sisters and I were little and to this day, I love me a good lengua burrito - menudo, too.

Never ate brains or sweet-breads but would in a heart beat if offered.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I HEART heart.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kamo_gari; 06/03/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Steve,

Love heart and tongue. My wife loves gizzards , me not so much but can eat them. Can do liver occasionally. We like to pressure cook the heart for about 30 minutes then do a low bush cranberry stuffing and cook it in a covered roaster for about 45-60 minutes. That makes some tender and delicious heart.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I tried a new twist on gizzards last night after watching The Beverly Hillbillies and hearing Jethro talk about gizzards and gravy. Yesterday at lunch I browned off a bunch of chicken gizzards in a skillet and then threw them in a pyrex dish that has a lid. I then made milk gravy from the pan drippings and poured it over the browned gizzards in the dish. Covered the dish and placed it in a 250 degree oven where it sat until I got home after work. Steamed some asparagus. Made a pot of long grain rice, and ladled them gizzards and gravy over a healthy serving.

Heaven. The gizzards were fork tender. Kinda like country style steak but mo' better.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Always save the hearts from deer and especially moose. Mary cooks them up stuffed with onions and wrapped in bacon. We love 'em, and sandwiches the next couple days are very good as well -- some dark rye bread, and some dijon mustard. It's good.

[Linked Image]

That is a moose heart, cleaned and ready for the fixin's. I think it weighed 8 pounds. Lots of eating on one of those things, and if it is slow roasted at 3oo dwgrees wrapped in bacon, the end result is meat that will melt in your mouth tender.

We used to eat the tongues too, but the girls weren't as fond of them as I was.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I diden't rise to the top of the food chain to eat guts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love deer heart.

Never had any other kinda hear cept turkey gizzards that my dad would cook up on Thanksgiving.

Got a hear in the freezer right now, I think I might put that thing in the crockpot for tomorrow!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Always save the hearts from deer and especially moose. Mary cooks them up stuffed with onions and wrapped in bacon. We love 'em, and sandwiches the next couple days are very good as well -- some dark rye bread, and some dijon mustard. It's good.

[Linked Image]

That is a moose heart, cleaned and ready for the fixin's. I think it weighed 8 pounds. Lots of eating on one of those things, and if it is slow roasted at 3oo dwgrees wrapped in bacon, the end result is meat that will melt in your mouth tender.

We used to eat the tongues too, but the girls weren't as fond of them as I was.

NICE!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
moosehead soup....once u get past the floating nose and ear hair all is well....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I love you guys that don't eat innards. More for me! Venison liver and onions at 8000ft has got to be about the best brakfast, lunch, dinner, or supper you can have. Lengua or tripas tacos? How can you go wrong. Never had the nuts though, but I'm no askeert of um if I get the chance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Niiiiiice!

Oh man, My favorite part of deer huntin'! rat there!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Liver, heart, lengua, I love it all.

And if you can find a rancher that doesn't use bands these days, nuts are one of my favorites.

Travis

Explains a LOT!

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,829 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.