24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current 6-lug Weatherby is a Sporter model in 30-06. It has a walnut stock and non-fluted barrel and was advertised as weighing 6-1/4 lbs. It shoots extremely well. As far as I know, that particular model is not currently available. My daughter has glommed on it so I don't get to hunt it often. I really don't mind. Have also owned an identical rifle in 280 Rem caliber.

The Weatherby stock design fits me better than any other. I can stand erect, my eye is directly behind the scope, and the butt pad rests squarely on my shoulder. At the pusher's place...err, I mean "gun store", last week I compared Weatherby Ultra Lightweights, Kimber Montanas, and the Forbes M24B. This time the Forbes won, although the Weatherby fit me better.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by rembo
If you say it's light, it's probably a 6 lug Mark V in a synthetic stock. They haven't been built for quite a few years now.

What chambering is it?

If it's anything based on the 30-06 or the 308 case it will be a 6 lug. The only Weatherby chambering made in the late 6 lug action is the 240.

Actually, the 6-lug action is current production in "standard" (non-magnum) calibers. The 6-lug ultra lightweight is advertised as weighing 5-3/4 lbs. They are very nice rifles. Here is a link: http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/ultralight

They are currently built with the good B&C stock, they haven't been built with the injection molded junk stock and unfluted barrel for quite some time.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My current 6-lug Weatherby is a Sporter model in 30-06. It has a walnut stock and non-fluted barrel and was advertised as weighing 6-1/4 lbs. It shoots extremely well. As far as I know, that particular model is not currently available. My daughter has glommed on it so I don't get to hunt it often. I really don't mind. Have also owned an identical rifle in 280 Rem caliber.

The Weatherby stock design fits me better than any other. I can stand erect, my eye is directly behind the scope, and the butt pad rests squarely on my shoulder. At the pusher's place...err, I mean "gun store", last week I compared Weatherby Ultra Lightweights, Kimber Montanas, and the Forbes M24B. This time the Forbes won, although the Weatherby fit me better.

Please post a photo of it!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Oakster
I just bought a Weatherby rifle from a classified ad in my home town. It is a Mark V of some sort, very light rifle. I thought it might be an ultralight, but it has black plastic stock, not a Medalist. Anybody know how I can tell what model it is? Can i tell by the serial number? It starts with a WB. The gun has a thin barrel, not fluted and it is blued metal. Any ideas on how to find out?

Black plastic stock, with a visible seam on the underside from front to rear sling swivel, is 99% a weatherby synthetic. They sold from $500-800 new, maybe a little higher.

If it doesn't have a fluted barrel( you said it is a std barrel), it is not a Weatherby ULW. I have one ULW 9 lug 300wby and had a 257 Wby ULW, and looked at several of the synthetics, owned a take-off stock, very flimsy and worth replacing.

Allen

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The synthetic bead blasted black Mark V's carried a last MSRP of $1200-1300 and were discontinued in 2011. They did make a fluted barrel version(not ultra lightweight) version in 97-98.
The black synthetic's are one of the great buys in the used market, especially when you consider that a new Vanguard Backcountry is $1399! Not lookers but can be shooters(at least mine is) and can be nicely upgraded with cerakote and a new stock.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 05/26/13.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To the OP, call Weatherby customer service with serial number and they will gladly confirm model and age of your gun. Is it U.S. built or Japan? I bought the above rifle, 270WBY mag, so cheap it was ridiculous with plans to resell until I took it out and shot it. First three shots w/ factory 150 spire point; .68". So much for selling and it got Cerakote, new stock, rings and scope. Give yours a test drive.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
By your description, it is probably called the Lightweight.
Mark V action with 6 lugs.
Standard and short length cartridges in a long action.
Mines is stainless steel with black synthetic stock.
I believe they came out in 1997.
Kreiger barrels. Mine shot 1 1/2" groups.
Around 6 1/2 lbs without scope.
I call it the Mini-Mark V.

Retired and loving it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

Please post a photo of it!

Here is my 6-lug, Weatherby Mark V Sporter Lightweight 30-06:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Keahi
By your description, it is probably called the Lightweight.
Mark V action with 6 lugs.
Standard and short length cartridges in a long action.
Mines is stainless steel with black synthetic stock.
I believe they came out in 1997.
Kreiger barrels. Mine shot 1 1/2" groups.
Around 6 1/2 lbs without scope.
I call it the Mini-Mark V.

I just checked the box my rifle came in and it reads:
LGT WGT STAINLESS Mk V
The serial number starts with ASxxxxxx

I guess my rifle is different from the Synthetic.

Retired and loving it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Correct. The Synthetic is blued. I did not catch that yours is stainless or I would not have said it is a Synthetic.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They made a Synthetic Stainless

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.