Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
After losing my Lab 2 years ago this Christmas, I just couldn't take being dogless any longer. My Lab, Bridger hunted with me in the fall of 2012. We lost her that Christmas. I sat last bird season out with the exception of hunting with my brother in law and his Munsterlander. I am too old to be chasing a flushing dog and always had Brittany's before. Well, I was informed of a litter of English setters. My wonderful wife got our names on the list. As fate would have it, the owner of the pups bumped us down for his family and friends. We wanted a female and they were going fast. We went to see the dogs and a black patched beauty stood out head and shoulders above the rest. When the owner ever said "SHE" and "AVAILABLE", it was love at first sight for me. But, I've learned over the years to keep my mouth shut. My wife did all the leg work so I wanted her to pick. When she saw the litter, she picked the SAME puppy.

Here's the mother with the litter. My dog is the first in line.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ain't nuthin better than puppies and little girls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good lookin pup. Enjoy her. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I will echo the sentiments of others. If there is anything in the world better than a puppy, i havent seen it.

If they only knew the hopes and dreams that rested on their little shoulders!

Congrats LBK!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I will echo the sentiments of others. If there is anything in the world better than a puppy, i havent seen it.

Congrats LBK!

Thanks everyone. But especially to you, Ingwe. I've always enjoyed your posts and your replies to mine. Nan and I have had our share of family problems the last year or so, but just this morning I said to my wife. " Have you noticed that since we've had the puppy, she's been about the only topic of discussion. There IS nothing like a new puppy to occupy time and thoughts. By God, I believe the pup is WAY smarter than me. grin grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Puppies can make you forget a lot of your problems. Beautiful pup, good luck with her.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by patberg
Puppies can make you forget a lot of your problems. Beautiful pup, good luck with her.

Those words, my friend are SPOT on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love the retriever breeds but you're going to enjoy hunting over that setter. Good looking pup.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with you 110%. For the last 20 years I've hunted ove 2 of the nicest Black Labs one man should ever have. Before that, it was Brittany Spaniels. I am just too old to be able to keep up with a flusher. Hopefully I have enough years left to manage a few more birds over my setter. She seems to have a GREAT personality. Thank you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Congrats LBK!

There is. Two puppy's!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read one time a quote "Whoever said money can't buy happiness has never bought a puppy."

Nothing better than watching a bird dog lock up on point and have a rooster pheasant flush out from under its nose when you walk in.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It has been MANY years since I hunted over a pointer and I am dearly looking forward to it. My pup will be 10 weeks old this Saturday and my wife said to me this morning before I left for work, "watch this". My wife sat on the kitchen floor and got the pup's attention. She then rolled a tennis ball across the floor. Maggie took off after it, locked down her puppy teeth and carried the ball right back to my wife. Nont once, but THREE times. I honestly think we picked a good/great one.............Thanks everyone for the replies.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
tie a quail wing to a fishing pole, flip it out in the grass and send us some pics of what she does next!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Can I let her "grow" a little first? I have photobucket down to post a pic. I need to figure it out to do the same with a short video. But I'm sure I will do that. Right now, the rolling ball has her attention. I don't know about a toss with a feathered wing. But ONE thing for sure. She makes us happy. smile laugh smile laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the new puppy.

If she fetching a ball with enthusiasm at that ahead should be birdy.

I too would be tossing a wing or even a small pigeon soon if available. I'm a huge fan of getting dogs on birds early and more then once have picked a pup by showing up at the breeders and tossing a live pigeon sans flight feathers in the pen with all the pups at once and see who does what.

09/10 IMHO the ones that go right after the pigeon and try to grab it are the ones I want. Course a lot of guys go for the middle of the road pups and I go for hellions that are adventurous.

My girlfriend wants to raise a pointing pup and setters are high on the list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LBK, did you give her name yet??

MallardAddict,

I know a guy that has GSP pups that will be available for pick up before the end of June here in the Seattle area.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
LBK, did you give her name yet??

MallardAddict,

I know a guy that has GSP pups that will be available for pick up before the end of June here in the Seattle area.

Yes, Drew. Her name is Maggie.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
she sure is cute! Gonna be a great hunting partner!

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I hope so. She's already smarte'n me!!!!!!!!!!! grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is one beautiful pup!

I see you are from NH so I will through this out to you. If you ever get to Hancock and Washington Counties in Maine please give me a call or look me up in person and I will show you on the Delorme as many covers as you would like to hunt with that pup. Great woodcock and grouse hunting in my area and me and my GSP are always looking to share with others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.