Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trappererick
That is one beautiful pup!

I see you are from NH so I will through this out to you. If you ever get to Hancock and Washington Counties in Maine please give me a call or look me up in person and I will show you on the Delorme as many covers as you would like to hunt with that pup. Great woodcock and grouse hunting in my area and me and my GSP are always looking to share with others.

That's one of the nicest offers I've had iin a long time. Thanks

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LBK

Just saw your post. Wishing you, the Wife and Maggie nothing but the best of times. Throw some pics up of you guys doing your thing this coming fall.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will do that and thank you. We had her out this past Saturday in a field where my very FIRST Brittany ran. Here is is almost 40 years later and we're doing it again. I had her on a 30' check cord and very quickly realized it was not needed. Already, I know she's smarter than I am. smile smile

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just wanted to follow up with a report on Maggie's progression. I spent most of my time playing fetch and sit/stay games with her. There's still lots of "puppy" left in her, but she just LOVES to please.

At any rate her first actual hunting started on Oct. 1st. We found no birds and I mostly watched how she behaved. She spent most of her time running faster than her nose. The next afternoon we were at it again. Now we got into some birds. She was STILL running and I tried to slow here with low tone commands but she was still bumping the birds and my aim was not good. I was paying too much attention to her and worrying about what the gun blast would do to her. She was not bothered by the gun and that in itself made me happy. I think we flushed 7 birds and I only got shots at 3 of them because of all the leaves still on the trees. She hadn't actually pointed one of them yet. UNTIL the last bird. It seemed like it all came together at once. A rock solid point. She let me go in and flush the bird. BINGO,,,,,,,,,,one for the pot.

[Linked Image]

After that one bird, she began to catch on. Still very much a puppy, but my bestest bird hunting buddy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And the journey begins. The first point, successful shot and retrieve is a moment to remember. Congrats. cool

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Two out of three...............Off to a good start. After my last Lab, I never thought I could love another dog. NOT true.............. smile smile Thank you battue..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She is beautiful...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you. She got me another this afternoon. I can't believe how well she is doing.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice going. I'm very happy for you. Keep it up.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Nice going. I'm very happy for you. Keep it up.

I just happy that at my age God gave me a dog that puts fun back into hunting. SHE makes all the difference in the world. smile smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like you and your wife, chose wisely!

Maggie is a good looking girl!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you. Believe me when I say, I'm happy as a clam. This is her last night. We got two in a row. Albeit one is a hen. Pouring rain. We're BOTH soaked to the bone.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is VERY COOL LBK!

Its been a long time since I hunted behind a bird dog. When mine passed, I sold my shotguns and gave it up. If I couldn't hunt behind her, I didn't want to hunt.

Perhaps that was a mistake!

This is my dog 'Robin' as a pup...a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....

[Linked Image]

And Robin on a grouse hunt...

[Linked Image]

Nowadays the dogs I am around hunt bigger game.

Last edited by ingwe; 10/17/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nope,,,,,,,,,,,,,no mistake. I know that feeling well............... We raised Brittany's for years. My favorite, Lady, gave her life to cancer, but hunted the DAY before she passed. To this day her collar and bell hangs on my gun rack. Then there were two Black Labs. BOTH held a special place in my heart. Those two dogs are gone and their bells hang as well. I LOVE hunting with a dog. A dog never complains and usually let you know who's the boss in the field. I am just too old to keep up with a flusher and too young to want to stop hunting. It was 2+ years that I was dogless and I had a void that needed to be filled. Maggie has filled that void in spades. She lives to please and hunts her heart out. I taught my son long ago to trust the dog. You may THINK you know more about hunting birds than your dog but the sooner you realize the dog knows best, the happier hunter you'll be.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
This is VERY COOL LBK!

Its been a long time since I hunted behind a bird dog. When mine passed, I sold my shotguns and gave it up. If I couldn't hunt behind her, I didn't want to hunt.

Perhaps that was a mistake!

This is my dog 'Robin' as a pup...a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....

[Linked Image]

And Robin on a grouse hunt...

[Linked Image]

GOD, Ingwe, those pictures jerk at my heart strings. I love those little pink nosed pointers..............

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, I still have her collar and tags, and that of the one and only Ingwedog- that one dog of a lifetime.

But I noticed my baby pic of Robin has my foot in it, and I mentioned the dogs I hang out with now hunt bigger game.

Fast forward 30+ years....

"Rommel" aka Mauser Vom Wildhaus.

[Linked Image]

And all grown up...open for business grin

[Linked Image]

Odd...the twists our lives take.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

I like this pic the best! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The shepherd is a GREAT dog. This pic of Maggie is one of my favorites as well. I just can't believe nobody wanted her. I call ber balck but I quess blue is the correct term. Everyone wanted the red and white coloration. I saw Maggie ( I already picked the name beforehand) and fell in love. I kept my mouth shut and let Nancy pick. She picked the SAME pup. Funny what dogs can do to you.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, it looks like she is living up to all the hopes and dreams I mentioned in my first post on this thread!
Enjoy the ride!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well, it looks like she is living up to all the hopes and dreams I mentioned in my first post on this thread!
Enjoy the ride!

I value your input AND opinions. You're "tell it like it is" is what I look forward to. Have a great rest of the year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.